What wood for smoking cheese?

Lewis B

TVWBB Fan
12* & snowing here in Cleveland Ohio. Might as well make the bet of it & fire up smoker! Got some sharp cheddar, gouda and pepper jack. Is there one wood that would go with all three? I have hickory, Apple, cherry, orange & maybe some pecan. Apple is usually my default wood. Seems to work well with anything. I'm thinking any of the wood except for hickory should work well.
What say you? Thanks.
Lewis

Everything you list sounds good to me, Christmas is coming, happy to send an address for you to ship my present!
It's about 8 here this morning but, snow has stopped and there is some strange yellow thing glowing in the sky! I've got about a foot of snow on the kettle and was actually thinking about doing some cheese too!

Thanks for the advice! I thought hickory would be too strong but maybe that's not the case. I'm sure everyone's level of sensitivity is different. Gonna go get started. 1st time on wsm. I did it on propane before in 35-40* rain.

This is a moot point but I'm going to post it anyway, lol. I LOVE cheeses and savor the taste of smoked meats, yet HATE smoked cheese. Obviously I'm flawed, so if anyone knows how I can force myself to embrace smoked cheese I'm all ears ;)

One tip is to let it mellow out after smoking for at least two weeks, otherwise it can be a bit overpowering.

For a Hard cheese You can use a stronger flavor like Hickory or even Oak....For a Soft type cheese I like the lighter fruitwoods Like Apple, Cherry, even Grape or Pecan

This is a moot point but I'm going to post it anyway, lol. I LOVE cheeses and savor the taste of smoked meats, yet HATE smoked cheese. Obviously I'm flawed, so if anyone knows how I can force myself to embrace smoked cheese I'm all ears ;)

Ohh A smoked Cheddar or Gouda is wonderful! A problem is that some people tend to over-smoke cheese or use the wrong type woods and that can lead to a rancid taste or they do not let them sit properly for a week or so to develop the flavor....this might be why you don't embrace smoked cheeses. Other than that, I can't help you to embrace smoked cheeses! :)

Somehow I deleted my prior post. Cheese is out of smoker & into freezer to mellow. 2 types of sharp cheddar & 1 gouda. No pepper jack.
As for not liking smoked cheese, it can be overpowering. Have you ever tried smoking Mac & cheese? It's absolutely otherworldly! My 2 Boys love it & they don't like anything I smoke. John Mclemore has a really good recipes for homemade online but even a store bought tray from Stouffers or GFS brand is excellent. Cook at oven Temps 300 or so till it's bubbly.

I've done one smoke with straight hickory (Swiss, Colby Jack, Cheddar)
Second cheese smoke was with a combo of Pecan and a little Hickory (Cheddar, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, Gouda)

Both turned out great, about 3 hours of smoke time using a snake of briquettes with small chips of the wood piled along the snake, and water bowl filled with ice.
The first was done mid winter with near zero temps, but the second was done in November with about 72 degree outside temp, so you don't have to wait for super low temps.

Lewis, now comes the hard part.... the waiting...

If you are a bit sensitive to smoke, just reduce the time smoking, a bit. My wife is a bit sensitive so we have settled on 1.5 hrs. instead 2.0 hours. It works for us. I DO consider it important to let it sit until the sweating has dissipated, then, without touching with fingers (use tongs), vaccuum pack, and wait two weeks, if possible, before eating. You WILL be rewarded.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back