What to do with leftover Turkey?

Tim Murphy

TVWBB Fan
Dear Board,

So I made a great turkey on Labor Day on the OTG but we had a pile of it left over.

I made turkey noodle soup yesterday and that turned out so well that we really didn't have leftovers even though we should have. Here is a picture of the last two bowls of soup.

P9120014 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

Encouraged by the soup I decided to make turkey pot pie. I've never baked anything other than Shake and Bake Chicken in my life but armed with my Mother's recipe for pie crust I took a shot. If Theresa doesn't choke on it I figure I did well.

21397007895_e08fc6086b_c.jpg
[/url]P9130016 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr[/IMG]

21208912950_e403bc149c_c.jpg
[/url]P9130017 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr[/IMG]

And here is a picture of my ugly mug just so you know I'm real.

20775917023_5d6dc74e83_c.jpg
[/url]P9130015 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr[/IMG]

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Board,

So this is what I wound up with. I had to call my Mom a couple of times to make sure I was doing things right but it turned out perfect. The crust was perfect and I'll make another after the big cook in November for sure.

21387425332_c0ef281913_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_0096 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_0097 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

Regards,

Two home runs in the same thread, nicely done. That reminds me I have a turkey in the freezer I got use to make room for the holiday ones I'll be getting.

Home run twice outstanding job Tim. Like Rich said we have one and its time to get it out. Not only to make room for another turkey but my baking that starts real soon.

Dear Board,

Thanks for the positive comments. I just might get another smaller turkey and do it before Thanksgiving for practice. I'm pretty confident I can cook a turkey consistently on the OTG but a little more practice never hurt anyone.

I think I got lucky with the soup because I managed to strip the carcass of the turkey I cooked on Labor Day right after dinner and I put it in a big freezer bag and froze it. It was still pretty juicy at that time and that helped because I didn't lose any of that in the freezer bag so it all went into the soup. I had also stuffed the carcass with quartered onion and whole cloves of garlic before I put it on the OTG. That stuff was still in the carcass so it helped to add flavor to the broth when I boiled things down to make the stock for the soup.

The pot pie scared me because I am not a baker but my Mom coached me through it over the phone and it turned out great. There was a good bit of dark meat in the pie and it seemed to pick up a good bit of the flavor from the cherry chips I used when I cooked the bird. You could taste the smoked turkey in the pie and it was definitely a nice addition.

My next goal is to have my Mother teach me how to make Halupkis. Stuffed cabbage it not something you make on the OTG or a Genesis but it was always one of my favorites when I was a kid and now that I'm older I miss it and I can't just ask my Mom to make a big pot for Theresa and I. Or can I? ;)

Regards,

You made two of the things I really like making with left over turkey and they both look fantastic!!! I cheat on the pot pie, I'm no baker either so I use biscuits, puff pastry, or store bought pie crust as a topping.

You made two of the things I really like making with left over turkey and they both look fantastic!!! I cheat on the pot pie, I'm no baker either so I use biscuits, puff pastry, or store bought pie crust as a topping.

Dear John,

Here is the pie crust recipe. It's my Mom's but it's really my Aunt Nancy's. If I can make a pie crust anyone can. Just follow the directions and roll the crust out between two sheets of wax paper dusted with flour. And don't try to pick up the pie crust, just use the bottom sheet of wax paper to pick it up and put it in the pan. I learned that by ripping the bottom crust in half twice. When I called my Mom about that she said, "Jeez I thought you were smart enough to figure that out before you tried?" ;)

Here are the ingredients:

3 cups flour
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, crisco
6 tablespoons ice water. I let ice sit in a container of water while I mix the first three ingredients.

Mix flour and salt together

Cut Crisco in with fork until small beads form
Add water gradually. I add one tablespoon per a section, mix it in, push that section aside, add another tablespoon to a second section, mix it in, push it over to the first section, etc., etc., etc.

When all six tablespoons water are added, mix together in one ball. Take half the ball - or a little more than half because you need a bigger crust for the bottom - and roll the bottom crust. Place it in the pan. Add the filling and roll out the top crust . Pat water around the rim of the top crust. Cover the pie.

Usually, if you cook the turkey stew first, the pie bakes in about 45 minutes to an hour. You'll be able to tell by how brown the edge of the crust gets.

Try it this way the next time, I promise it will work.

Regards,

Back