What to do with all these grills......

AlexHanWI

TVWBB Fan
So I thought I was done my rehab, with my original post: First post - Found a redhead, ended up with a Black Genesis 1000,

Current weber.jpg

But still wasn't satisfied with just having the 1000. I wanted all of it: side burners, extra space, extra table. My neighbor found a 3000 on the side of the road, just waiting to be picked up (I already put together 1000 for him as a gift, so he now pays attention to Webers on the road):

grey weber.jpg

• The bad: Missing: side table, bottom shelves, casters, all FB were rusted, middle and crossover tubes were rusted, igniter kit is rusted, middle knob got melted/burnt, LP manifold is older style and rusted (not sure if it works), missing thermometer, minor pitting under the control panel, missing regulator
  • The good: Frame is in great shape, side burner works, drip pan is in great shape, lid and firebox seem to be in decent shape
  • Other: Never seen a grey hood before, not a huge fan, but firebox that sits on the frame is not flat but has all these grooves (I'll post pics later)
I was trying to track down the pieces for the swap to the 3000. Mainly the additional durawood, and bottom shelving brackets. I found another Facebook find. Was originally asking for $70, but likely no bites for I offered her $20 for the bottom shelves, and handle and she wanted the whole thing gone for $25.

weber grill waunakee.jpg

• The bad: All the wood is shot (hoping the handle can be salvaged), all the FB were rusted, middle and crossover tubes were rusted, missing flip table (pictures shows the flip table but she didn't know where it was when I picked up), missing catch pan, old style regulator (quick release)
  • The good: I now have brackets for the bottom shelves, LP manifold is in good shape, lid and firebox seems to be in good shape but will have to inspect further
Found another FB find that wanted his grill gone. He wanted $35, offered $10 for bottom shelves and told me to take it all. Will be picking up tonight, so unsure of the condition. But he did say it's rusty, and my guess is that it's all the FB/inside parts that is rusted.

weber grill sun prairie.jpg

My current setup:

Current 3000.jpg

Plan is:
  • Grey lid is temporary so I can still use it. Plan is to keep the black lid, still have to finish up the end caps, scrape out the inside lid
  • Currently using the 1000 shelving, and will be swapping out to the 3000 and will be need extra durawood for the additional slats
  • Already added the flip table from my original setup (used the space method from the post: right hand flip table conversion (I used a 2" bolt and 3 nuts as a spacer, can add pictures later)
This is a good problem to have, but still a problem nonetheless, I have TOO many grills/parts that my wife is comfortable with in our backyard. I'll have the daily user, and I'll keep one for backup for parts, but that still leaves me with 2 frames and fireboxes.

The issue with flipping them is that the amount of money (and time to clean up the grills), I don't think would be a viable return. Off the top of my head I for just 1 of the grills:
- new fb and burner kit - Hongso Burner and FB kit - $56
- new grates - Hongso Grates - $57
- new igniter - $12
- new regulator - $13
- various SS bolts / nuts - $5-$10
- spray paint (rust reformer, ultra high heat, matte high heat, gloss) - $15-$20 (used all I had in my last couple projects)
- maybe new casters - $6
- new knobs?
- Cut new slats for the grill since I'm using all the durawood for mine

That's about $175, I'd have to put in, and that's assuming the manifold is in decent shape (still have to check). I don't think I'd be able to put together the second one because I won't have a second manifold.

Using Bruce, as a standard, I don't even think I could get my grills looking as new as he does, and command his price:

I don't want the decent frame and firebox go to waste, and I don't know if there is any appetite in Madison, WI for these parts (hence why people were giving/selling them for cheap. Thoughts?

Looks like Weberitis has struck again lol! I've never seen that grey hood before, the only ones I've seen have the red pinstripe on them.

Looks like Weberitis has struck again lol! I've never seen that grey hood before, the only ones I've seen have the red pinstripe on them.

It has. I just feel bad for some of these perfectly good Webers that can be fixed up. And as much as I wanted to fix/keep them all......I can't.

Yah, you are hooked. That gray or Mauve hood is pretty rare. If you don't care for it, you might find someone else willing to take it off your hands.

That grey hood looks really cool. I'd keep that over a black hood all day long.

If you are looking to get out of the business of fixing up grills, just take an inventory of all our parts and list them as a lot for $50 or $100 on Craigslist and Facebook, see if you get any takers..... maybe you can find someone like Bruce to take them off your hands! Or maybe just try to combine all of your parts to make a decent grill and sell it that way.

And for grates, I recently bought this set for $38 and its very nice for a flip grill. No point in over-spending unless it's a keeper:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823BGYRG/?tag=tvwb-20

I'll probably list is as a lot on Craigslist. So hoping to get all my projects done quickly before BBQ season is over.

Alex, where are you at in Wisconsin. Have you considered attending the 2021 Midwest Weber Gas Grill Meet next summer. It will probably be in the N. Illinois area.

I'm in Madison, WI, so not far from the Dells. North IL wouldn't be too far from me, and I'd be interested if I'm available.

Picked up the 4th grill yesterday, for the sole purpose of the durawood and any other misc parts that might be usable.

sun prairie front.jpg sun prairie side.jpg

• The bad: Frame has some surface rust (will have to see how bad it is), no spacer bracket so the 1 durawood has been warped from heat, no drip pan or catch pan, has weber fade
  • The good: I now have durawood for my bottom shelving! All the burner tubes seems usable, FB are porcelain but not rusted out and still usable.

So now I have a bunch of parts that I'll start to sift through, clean up, and see what is salvageable (the completed rusted stuff was thrown out immediately)
misc parts.jpg

Regarding the odd shaped firebox: The back part that sits on the frame is not flat but has ridges. I took a pic of the inside, but didn't come out clear because of all the crud. I'll take a better one when I've cleaned it out. But you can see the ridges inside on the back too.
ridge grill.jpg inside firebox.jpg

I took a closer look at the Z brackets for the 3000, and looks pretty rusted and one of the holes is shot. I think a washer can save it, but we'll see how bad it is once I take all the wood off.
3000 bottom shelf.jpg

Wooden handle is pretty worn, and has some cracks in it. I'm going to try putting some wood glue and tape it tight to see if I can close up the cracks. Then try sanding it down to see if I can make it presentable.
wooden handle.jpg

And if your looking to use the left side table on the right side, but don't have the proper sliding bracket, I used 3 nuts as a spacer, and the original nut at the end, with a 2" bolt. Doesn't stick out too much, and enough space so it doesn't catch on the propane panel.
right side spacer.jpg

As I was sifting through this stuff in my garage, I remembered an old post: Converted a Silver A frame into a mobile miter saw stand

This is what I currently have all my rehab stuff sitting on. (**NOTE: Costco sells bulk Simple Green for $8.99, if you can find it. Better than buying the spray bottle for $5)

junk pile.jpg

I've decided I'm going to convert one of the frames into a work bench, put rolling wheels on all four (remove the big wheels), fashion a bottom shelf, top shelf, and get a bench vise to work on some grinding stuff. Probably won't get to it for awhile, but it's a start.

Yah, I may do something similar. I am always needing shelf and work space while working on grills. I figure a piece of plywood on top of a Silver A frame would work out good.

Don't overlook that rotisserie motor bracket. New they go for ~$20.

Really? I have like 3 of them. They seem to be attached to the BBQ's that I pick up, and thought nothing of it. I've been treating them like the manifold holder, don't know why they are there and didn't seem that important.

Not yet. I really wanted one, and ended up picking up a grill that had everything except the counterweight (motor, bracket, split, holder). Picked up the counterweight from eBay, and then got one as a gift from my co-workers, so now I have 2 counterweights. (I didn't have the heart to tell them I already bought it, when they gifted it to me).

I've been waiting to use to rotisserie, but have been preoccupied with cleaning up/rehabbing the grills I have.

So any recommendations on where to start with to roto is much appreciated. I was thinking of starting with something cheap in case I burn it, like a chicken. Then move up to things like roasts, etc.

I don't think you will ever burn anything on a roto, at least I never have, unless you have a grease fire, and you can put a drip pan on top of the FBs to catch the drippings. Bruce has posted some roto pics, and here's a personal fave of mine, from J Grotz (I think). A whole chicken is a great introduction to rotisserie cooking, I think, as is a ham.

EDIT: Margaritas are GREAT on a rotisserie, too!

Attachments

• Roto.jpeg
    Roto.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 31
Nice looking bird. What is the metal piece near the front of the bbq?

Regarding burning food, I just have recurring memories when I first tried doing ribs on the BBQ and turned out awful. At the time, I had a Silver A, 2 burner, and tried indirect heat by just having 1 burner on. It wasn't hot enough, so had to put on both burner, and tried to find a spot not directly over the burners. Ribs ended up super dry, and tough, and I vowed never to try again until I got a 3-burner.

So I'm still procrastinating because I don't want something like that to happen again. :p

I don't think you will ever burn anything on a roto, at least I never have, unless you have a grease fire, and you can put a drip pan on top of the FBs to catch the drippings. Bruce has posted some roto pics, and here's a personal fave of mine, from J Grotz (I think). A whole chicken is a great introduction to rotisserie cooking, I think, as is a ham.

EDIT: Margaritas are GREAT on a rotisserie, too!
Thanks,Ed! The cocktail is a Corpse Reviver No. 2. Equal parts Plymouth Gin, Cointreau, Lillet Blanc and lemon juice, shaken and strained into an absinthe rinsed glass. It's from Harry Craddock's famous 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book. Best damn cocktail ever.

Nice looking bird. What is the metal piece near the front of the bbq?
Smoker box. It had hickory pellets in it.

Thanks,Ed! The cocktail is a Corpse Reviver No. 2. Equal parts Plymouth Gin, Cointreau, Lillet Blanc and lemon juice, shaken and strained into an absinthe rinsed glass. It's from Harry Craddock's famous 1930 Savoy Cocktail Book. Best damn cocktail ever.
I'll take two, one for each hand! That'll save you from having to whip up another one right away...

Back