Converted a Silver A frame into a mobile miter saw stand

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
After giving my dad an E-310 I rehabbed, he gave me his old Silver A two burner. It had a rusted out floor, and the grates, burners and bars were all worn out.

The market for the older grills in my area isn't big so rather than trying to rehab and sell it I salvaged some parts I might be able to use on other grills and junked the lid and firebox.

I'm not a big woodworker, but I do cut a lot of wood for projects around the house. I've always just thrown my miter saw down on the driveway and worked from the ground, so I figured why not make a mobile stand with the frame?

I got lucky with the feet of the saw lining up with the grill frame. All I had to do was drill four holes in the frame and mount using some 1/4" bolts.

Here's how it looks so far.

IMG_20200707_143114(1).jpgIMG_20200707_143126.jpgIMG_20200707_143133.jpgIMG_20200707_143139.jpg

Going to make a floor out of left over cedar planks and will also try to get the SS doors mounted back to the cabinet. Going to store my smaller saws and saw blades in the cabinet.

Also going to make a pretty thick top for the sides. Unsure how exactly I'll mount the sides to the top of frame.

These frames are nice and solid. I could see them being very useful for turning into a mobile prep cart to park next to your grill or even would make a nice cart to sit your Q grill on top of.

Will post more pictures in the future as I get the other pieces mounted.

Last edited:
That's nice!

I'm going to try and raise the level of my sides to be even with the cutting surface of the saw...that way it's a little easier to balance long pieces of wood.

That's nice!

I'm going to try and raise the level of my sides to be even with the cutting surface of the saw...that way it's a little easier to balance long pieces of wood.

I was gonna say, if your right or left handed you might shift the saw off center. Normally the height is 3 1/2 " so we use a 2x4 screwed to another 2x4 to make an L. You can position that anywhere on your cutting surface.

Tim

That's basically what I did Tim, but I left the saw centered. Wanted to keep the frame as stable and evenly weighted as possible.

Here is what I did with the floor...just screwed some old pallet wood pieces together and it fit nicely. Great little cabinet to hold a couple of my other saws and some spare blades.

The doors do function, but they aren't super smooth. They get the job done and will work.

IMG_20200707_163043.jpgIMG_20200707_163045.jpgIMG_20200707_164808.jpgIMG_20200707_164816.jpgIMG_20200707_173135.jpg

Think I'm going to put a "floor" on the side shelves, that way they can double as storage bins for some smaller items and still allow me to lay wood across the top for cutting. That and mounting them to the frame with some brackets and i'll be done. Pretty easy project. I could probably have made it look fancier, but it's a worker not a shower...plus I didn't want to spend any money on this, just used stuff I had laying around.

This is Great Kyle. I wonder how much sawdust will get into the cabinet and cover your other tools. You might want to consider a top under the saw to prevent that. Just an idea.

This is Great Kyle. I wonder how much sawdust will get into the cabinet and cover your other tools. You might want to consider a top under the saw to prevent that. Just an idea.
That's a pretty good idea! Hadn't even thought of that. I'll have to brainstorm on that one...maybe some sheets of metal or aluminum. I don't have any of that laying around so maybe I'll browse around Lowe's / Home Depot for something. That would also work as the floor for my sides too.

Also going to mount the Weber Genesis Silver badge on the front somewhere, I did pull that and the thermometer from the lid before trashing the lid.

Wife bought me a nice bench grinder for my birthday back in March. Haven't gotten around to mounting it yet, mainly because my existing workbench is so small and very cluttered. I'm going to mount the grinder to the right "table" on my new saw stand. Heading to the hardware store to see if I can find some quick connect fasteners to hold it down. I'll mount it to a 2x4, but would like to be able to easily remove it if I need to to cut a large piece of wood.

IMG_20200708_115802.jpgIMG_20200708_115809.jpg

Also getting some other ideas...

Maybe install some hooks on the outside of the cabinet, under the side tables. To hang my angle grinder and other tools or power cords.

I might have a clean workbench by the time I get done with this cart! 😁

Got an old Weber badge cleaned up and mounted :coolkettle:

Kind of a slow time right now in regards to buying grills to rehab, so I've gotten to get myself a little organized. Feels good.

IMG_20200709_145939.jpgIMG_20200709_150021.jpg

Went to Home Depot today. I ended up buying an $11 piece of 1/2” plywood. Cut it the size of the top, screwed the side tables in place to the plywood. The plywood will rest in place with the 4 main bolts that anchor the saw in place. Just need to buy longer bolts and then I’ll be all set.

7AF6C0F9-748F-42A7-ADCA-D8EB39A27385.jpeg8B141A35-A490-4B73-B029-3AB2E8682802.jpeg4B4712F2-BB12-4E4C-85D4-F7AA4C5BCA4C.jpeg579707B7-25B3-4D07-B786-15FBA2A1D265.jpegFBF32159-12AE-4F98-B228-46905F5C5049.jpeg

What is the purpose of having the open sides like that. Why not just plywood covering them?

What is the purpose of having the open sides like that. Why not just plywood covering them?
Well, main reason is the 2x4 on it's side is the perfect height sitting next to the saw so I could lay a long piece of wood flat for a nice cut. If I added plywood on top of that the height would raise up, and it would really limit my ability to cut big pieces of wood. Or I would have had to trim down the sides of the 2x4s.

Another big plus for me is they can double as storage for screwdrivers, nuts, bolts or whatever. I could even leave junk in there and still be able to lay wood on top and cut. I made the bench grinder mount fairly easy to remove...just 4 star bit decking screws and it can be pulled out.

Back