What to do with all these grills......

I cringed when I read that you didn't bolt down the vise, and then I read about your toe injury. That had to hurt...I feel sorry for you! I worked with a guy that was welding at the table where there was this large Kurt-style vise...he was under the helmet and knocked the vise off the table and it landed on his foot. He smashed a toe and had to cut the toe off his work boot so he could continue to work for the next few weeks while it healed. Moral of the story is, bolt that vise down...it's an accident waiting to happen.

I cringed when I read that you didn't bolt down the vise, and then I read about your toe injury. That had to hurt...I feel sorry for you! I worked with a guy that was welding at the table where there was this large Kurt-style vise...he was under the helmet and knocked the vise off the table and it landed on his foot. He smashed a toe and had to cut the toe off his work boot so he could continue to work for the next few weeks while it healed. Moral of the story is, bolt that vise down...it's an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks for that. After my toe injury, I can totally see how that can happen. So will bolt this down before I use it next.

But it's super convenient to have it slide around depending on what I have on there, but I'd like to keep my my toes.

You can use clamps to clamp it down, or they sell small vises that clamp on. You could also tether it with a cable or jack chain, as long as it isn't heavy enough to tip the table over, but I think after awhile you'll probably come to the conclusion that a vise works best when it's rigidly mounted. Again, I am sorry about your injury! I know how that must hurt.

You can use clamps to clamp it down, or they sell small vises that clamp on. You could also tether it with a cable or jack chain, as long as it isn't heavy enough to tip the table over, but I think after awhile you'll probably come to the conclusion that a vise works best when it's rigidly mounted. Again, I am sorry about your injury! I know how that must hurt.

Thanks for the options. I checked the weight of my vise, and it weights 41 lbs. But I definitely will bolt in down, knowing how heavy it is now. :p

Right now, I'm primarily using to to clamps stuff I'm cleaning with the angle grinder + cup brush.

Toe doesn't hurt too bad, but just more annoying than anything.

Thanks for the options. I checked the weight of my vise, and it weights 41 lbs. But I definitely will bolt in down, knowing how heavy it is now. :p

Right now, I'm primarily using to to clamps stuff I'm cleaning with the angle grinder + cup brush.

Toe doesn't hurt too bad, but just more annoying than anything.
The second time you drop something on it, or stub it, and now that it doesn't have a nail on it to protect it...you likely won't be comfortable in shoes for a few days. I have an assortment of plastic finger guards that I have used to protect my injured fingers while they heal

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4JFG3I/?tag=tvwb-20

and finger cots to keep them clean while healing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URIW2B0/?tag=tvwb-20

(yes, they make great gag gifts, too!)

I suggest you think about getting one that fits your toe.

EDIT: Those are just examples to illustrate what I'm talking about, there may be better products out there.

Last edited:
I may need the finger cots, i didn't know what they were called, I was going to google finger condoms. Because I'm walking around, it's still bleeding through the gauze, and I was tracking blood inside the house this morning. :p

So for now, I'm wearing flip flops inside the house to keep the blood off the floor. But good to know what those are actually called.

I may need the finger cots, i didn't know what they were called, I was going to google finger condoms. Because I'm walking around, it's still bleeding through the gauze, and I was tracking blood inside the house this morning. :p

So for now, I'm wearing flip flops inside the house to keep the blood off the floor. But good to know what those are actually called.

Get some vet wrap to use around the gauze to hold everything in place. It is not sticky so does not stick to you. It is used by veterinarians because it does not stick to an animals fur. It only sticks to itself. Just Google vet wrap.
Stubbed my toe so hard it broke the nail at the base but it is still attached to the nail bed so don’t want it to rip off. It is gradually growing out.

BFEA086E-2C2B-41B5-853D-4B4A61AAA89B.jpeg

Get some vet wrap to use around the gauze to hold everything in place. It is not sticky so does not stick to you. It is used by veterinarians because it does not stick to an animals fur. It only sticks to itself. Just Google vet wrap.
Stubbed my toe so hard it broke the nail at the base but it is still attached to the nail bed so don’t want it to rip off. It is gradually growing out.

View attachment 12116
Yeah, that's good stuff too, but my job involved getting my hands dirty, so I used the finger cots and electrical tape to keep the dressing clean and dry. All good stuff to keep on hand!

Nice little work bench. I made that Silver A cart and it's working great for me. I left the big wheels on one side, figure they will carry a heavier load than the cheap casters and last longer.

Bolt down the vice! Looks painful!

Yeah, I watched a vasectomy reversal on TV once and felt the pain...😵

EDIT: For those that want to know, yes, the operation was successful, but ultimately the marriage "unravelled".

Last edited:

Back