What to do for Labor Day weekend, and my 400th post....

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
It's Brisket Baby:). My first on the WSM.

I love my 22 WSM. It is sooo good with temperature control. The more I cook on it the easier it gets.

The weekend started off grill. I did a 4-hour slow cook Ragu alla Bolognese, based on "the" original Ragu recipe as researched by the Culinaria Italia website. I highly recommend the site for Italian food lovers. This is the recipe:

https://culinariaitalia.wordpress.com/2008/06/29/ragu-alla-bolognese-authentic-recipe/

But back to BBQ. Last night the skies opened up and this morning, at zero-dark-thirty, everything was wet. I dried the WSM, loaded a half ring of coals and hickory chunks. I'm cooking a 7.5 pound flat rather than a whole Brisket because some of the company bailed out. I paid a pretty penny for it for it was perfectly trimmed right out of the cryovac. I injected the Brisket with beef broth and seasoned with just garlic salt and pepper. It sat like this for 12-hours in the fridge.

The Brisket went on Fat side up to crisp that side. My lady butcher recommended that I score the fat for flavor penetration. I did. Brisket on in the dark:
i-BDw3Mwz-XL.jpg

After 3 hours I flipped it over. There was no crust whatsoever on the non-fat side and a lot of juices from the injection, and then an hour later it stalled at 154 degrees. Here's the meat after the flip.
i-sZzvrB6-XL.jpg

I left it on in the stall until the six and half hour mark so as to developed a nice bark. It hit 165 degrees by then. At that point I took it out and wrapped it in tinfoil with a half a cup of beef broth. It was so tender already the I could not hook it with a fork without breaking it apart. Sorry no pics! I stoked the coals with my new Steve Raichlen coal hoe, It's perfect for the 22 WSM.

It's been on wrapped for just over an hour and a half and it's ready at 203 degrees and off to the warming drawer, where it will stay at 170 degrees until ready to slice. That foil sure beats the stall in a hurry! I'll post more pics when I slice it and do the burnt ends :)

Oh, and an edit, I cooked this at 260~275 degrees...

the rest of the pics

The finished meal. It was super tender and delicious. Love the 22 WSM.

The Slices:
i-H8cFZT5-XL.jpg

Burnt ends:
i-7HJdSZn-XL.jpg

Plated with the CEO's pasta salad and baked beans:
i-ZNKfn2S-XL.jpg

All the best,

Jose

Last edited:
Looks really good Jose. Isn't it crazy the price of brisket?

When you take into account the 4-5 pounds lost in the fat when cooking a packer brisket, the flat is not as expensive considering it is trimmed perfectly right out of the cryovac.

About the only thing to stand up to that fabulous cook is that fabulous knife, well done my friend, sorry I missed a plate of that

All great photos of some phenomenal food, Jose! I think my favorite picture is the one with the sliced brisket, flashing the Japanese steel with the lefty yanagi knife.

Last edited:
Congrats on your 400th, I did brisket for an anniversary cook too!

Funny about the knife, I busted out my Japanese blade today to slice some short rib meat to make Korean BBQ short ribs and I ended up taking pics of it too since I love it so much...
308E8327-9E64-4E12-9449-32FC06C688E2.jpg

Congrats on your 400th, I did brisket for an anniversary cook too!

Funny about the knife, I busted out my Japanese blade today to slice some short rib meat to make Korean BBQ short ribs and I ended up taking pics of it too since I love it so much...
308E8327-9E64-4E12-9449-32FC06C688E2.jpg

Gorgeous knife Dude!! Looks real pretty :).

Back