What to Buy? Torn between Spirit and Genesis

If I was going to buy a new Weber gas grill I would definitely buy the the Genesis over the Spirit. I have examined both and it's easy to see the Genesis is of higher quality by today's standards. I also agree that an older Genesis 1000 or Silver B is superior to new offerings as far as ease of maintenance and longevity at a fraction of the price. If you are capable of putting together IKEA furniture then you are more than qualified to fix up one of these older grills and enjoy it for years to come. My every day grill is a 1998 Genesis 1000 and it still works as well as the day it was built.
Yes. Totally agree. Have looked at both and for the somewhat slight difference in cost the Genesis is definitely much better build and bang for the $$$ than Spirit.

With our experiences first with a Char-Broil and then with a "higher end" (but only in the mind of Sears) Kenmore, my wife is reticent to approve funds to invest in something more expensive. The current Genesis line looks like it's built to withstand nuclear war, so I don't think we're going to have the issues with it becoming a pile of rusty scrap after a few seasons.

With our experiences first with a Char-Broil and then with a "higher end" (but only in the mind of Sears) Kenmore, my wife is reticent to approve funds to invest in something more expensive. The current Genesis line looks like it's built to withstand nuclear war, so I don't think we're going to have the issues with it becoming a pile of rusty scrap after a few seasons.
There are noted rust issues on them mainly in the carts. I think a bit of care over the years will see to that. They truly are not built to the level they were with the older side control units but they hold their own against some of the competition. But, there IS competition and it is VERY good, perhaps even a touch better. But, for basic day in day out work it should work fine, a little care will help to ward off the dreaded orange stuff. Especially during assembly. I.E., one thing I did during assembly of my pellet grills was to take extra precautions not to scratch the powder coat or enamel finishes, to use Never Seize compound during assembly as well. So far my efforts look to be paying off nicely though one of them is only a little over a year old, and is kept in the garage (though that may change) after I add a WIFI controller to it. But we shall wait and see.
Bottom line going through all the screws (even disassembling some pieces that were not required to take apart) and then coating all the screws (sheet metal type and normal machine types), on the couple occasions I have done work on them, everything has gone easily. The same will hold true on any other new grill you buy, (whether Weber or something else). A little care up front makes for a better experience years down the road

This was November:

1704215465875.png

1704215444444.png

IMO the Achilles heel for many of these is the enclosed cart with a solid metal bottom shelf. They hold moisture when covered or not covered and can rust away.

My preference is for a three burner plus sear front control. It gets hot quick and fast and has a large enough cooking area for two zone cooking.

This was November:

View attachment 84640

View attachment 84639

That’s the older Genesis II. I’ve had a few of those. Both the cart and cabinet models. Nice grills with plenty of cooking area. Easy to work on if you need to replace parts.

That’s a great price with a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty.

IMO the Achilles heel for many of these is the enclosed cart with a solid metal bottom shelf. They hold moisture when covered or not covered and can rust away.

My preference is for a three burner plus sear front control. It gets hot quick and fast and has a large enough cooking area for two zone cooking.
Precisely. My 2018 Genesis gets rain water in the cabinet routinely...on that bottom shelf. I try to stay after it but it's actually a losing battle over time.
A wire brush, sandpaper and Rustoleum are your allies, along with warmer, dryer weather. I don't cover it at all. More worried about lousy golfers than rust😄.

This was November:

View attachment 84640

View attachment 84639

I bought this last year when me and the Mrs downsized. A little much for day to day though I use the sear burner every time I use the grill. Its just right when I'm grilling for more folks. Its better to have too much than too little IMO.

Well I am trying to understand why people just assume that all the enclosed carts with a solid metal bottoms are going to rust are we talking about grills 10 years ago and by the way my next door neighbor has one 10 years old at least with zero rust. Since the E335 obviously is not 10 years old how does anyone know whether they are going to have issues down the road and the warranty is stout would buy one in a minute if I did not have a Silver C and I have stated this before I would prefer N/S any day of the week but I am riding the C till I am gone.

I think this speculation on the newer grills with enclosed carts rusting away and there are new people on this forum trying to make a decision to me this is bad information with zero basis since nobody has onwned one for 10 years. Sorry if you live at the beach and I did at one time nothing will last there including the shingles on the house.

Well I am trying to understand why people just assume that all the enclosed carts with a solid metal bottoms are going to rust are we talking about grills 10 years ago and by the way my next door neighbor has one 10 years old at least with zero rust. Since the E335 obviously is not 10 years old how does anyone know whether they are going to have issues down the road and the warranty is stout would buy one in a minute if I did not have a Silver C and I have stated this before I would prefer N/S any day of the week but I am riding the C till I am gone.

I think this speculation on the newer grills with enclosed carts rusting away and there are new people on this forum trying to make a decision to me this is bad information with zero basis since nobody has onwned one for 10 years. Sorry if you live at the beach and I did at one time nothing will last there including the shingles on the house.
My 2016 collects water when it rains. Yeah it's two model revs back but I roll it under cover when the rain starts. Luckily for me it only rains 4 or 5 months in winter or spring.

I've seen no design changes that leads me to think the new ones will be different.

Just found this on the Costco app:

1704341327189.png

1704341366530.png
Same Genesis but higher price (identical Costco item number)

1704341520001.png

Costco also has this one:

1704341613900.png

 Wait a while.
See how it goes with the Q.
 Read some of the posts here. See what food, types of cooking, recipes you may like to try.
Join in on the fun. Learn what you might need. that way you are prepared. And she will be happy.
 Talk wit  Bruce. Save money. Lots.
That is not just advice. I put my money where .....
In fact get in line early. I plan on picking up another one, (or so), shortly after the doors open.

My 2016 collects water when it rains. Yeah it's two model revs back but I roll it under cover when the rain starts. Luckily for me it only rains 4 or 5 months in winter or spring.

I've seen no design changes that leads me to think the new ones will be different.
Agreed. My 2018 Genesis II E-325 collects water on the bottom shelf and it sits under whatever you store there. That wouldn't discourage me from getting another of the same design. But you can see indications of rust where the shelf meets the legs. That's just a fact.

Back