What Rubs and Sauces are you using and where do you buy it?

Smoking is one of my biggest hobbies! 95% of the time I make my own sauces and rubs. I also like knowing all the ingredients that goes into my smoke! I have fun and get more satisfaction making my own! Especially when family and friends comment on how great everything taste. And you tell them you made it all from scratch!! I guess it also a bragging thing! LOL

Once I found out how easy it is to make my own rubs and sauces, I stopped buying the commercial products. (Besides, I'm a cheapskate!)

It's a lot like what got me into BBQ in the first place: I realized that I could learn to make better food than I could buy (good BBQ restaurants in Oregon are almost non-existent), and a whole lot cheaper as well. Making my own rubs and sauces, tailoring them to get the flavor profile I/we desire, is a big part of the process — and of the enjoyment.

Do you guys like to make up your own rubs and sauces or do you mind using a recipe? (once in a while lol)

I make my own rub and very rarely use sauce since my wife doesn't like BBQ sauce. But, when I do use a store bought version of either it's only Head Country for both. I don't mess with anything else.

Do you guys like to make up your own rubs and sauces or do you mind using a recipe? (once in a while lol)
Years ago I use to make my own, but there are so many good ones out there now that I don’t even bother anymore. I keep experimenting with different flavor profiles combining a few different ones, but still have some successful favorites. A bonus for using some of the brands are that they turn into sponsors! ;)

I make an every day Santa Maria style rub that I can put on anything and also a more traditional ribs/shoulder rub. Then I supplement with some Meat Church and Spiceology, however the latter has become extremely expensive.

I am always looking for other options so my cabinet is a little full…😬 need to push through on current inventory for awhile!

Sweet Baby Rays for the sauce, and the rub would be Omaha Steaks Seasoning.
They both work just right for me.....

I'm with James J I can't make as good as I can buy so I don't even try. Rubs depending on what's being smoked or grilled. Simply Marvelous makes some really good Rubs. I buy the Cherry, Pecan, and Spicy Apple. My wife likes them because they're more "mild". I like Blues Hog also like BPS Money, Little Louies, and Sweet Money. I also love William's Rib Tickler.

For steaks I like Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow I have both Plowboys Bovine Bold, and BPS Cash Cow, but haven't tried them yet. I kind of switched to BPS Double Secret this last summer. My wife loves garlic, and this goes on a lot of things its Boars Night Out White Lightning with double garlic butter. For Chicken I use Plowboys Yard Bird.

For Sauces I use strictly Blues Hogs even though I've used others that I like. I have yet to find one I don't like. The Raspberry Chipotle is amazing on many things (ABTs) as well as many smoked meats. Love them all from the original, Tennessee Red, and everything else they make. Even their mustard.

Last edited:
Chad...
Totally agree with your choices of rubs and sauce. Both Steph's and Sterling's rubs reside here as well. Good stuff. Kinda of think you will like the Cash Cow... Still have some of the Blues Hog Original half gallon bottle left. Have also added a pepper non-bbq sauce we like.... The Pepper Plant 'Original California Style Hot Pepper Sauce'.

Once I found out how easy it is to make my own rubs and sauces, I stopped buying the commercial products. (Besides, I'm a cheapskate!)

It's a lot like what got me into BBQ in the first place: I realized that I could learn to make better food than I could buy (good BBQ restaurants in Oregon are almost non-existent), and a whole lot cheaper as well. Making my own rubs and sauces, tailoring them to get the flavor profile I/we desire, is a big part of the process — and of the enjoyment.
Grant you hit it right on the head! The realization of making better food than you can get at a bbq restaurant and making your own rubs and sauces to tailor to your taste is the big part of this whole thing we call smoking!!

In terms of store bought rubs, right now the family really likes Kinder Lemon Pepper when used with poultry. I found it at Costco.

The only homemade rubs that my family likes so far are the two SYD recipes offered by Harry Soo that Chris posted here: https://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2014/05/syd-all-purpose-rub/

They prefer the original recipe over the newer one.

In general, I haven’t had much success with homemade rubs (after years of trying) so I think I’m reaching the point where I’m inclined to buy rubs as opposed to making them.

My family doesn’t really like barbecue sauce, though I’ve had some success with Bachan’s Original Japanese BBQ Sauce, which I’ve seen at Safeway, Ace Hardware, and Costco.

None of the bbq sauces I use were purchased at Sams, Costco, or a local grocery market. All were purchased from BBQ specific stores such as, but not limited to ...
The Kansas City BBQ Store
Big Poppa Smokers
I feel those that have only shopped for their "commercial" sauces and rubs at the likes of Sams, Costco, and your local grocery are missing out on what's out there.

Last edited:
I'm very boring, I use a SPG from one of my local meat markets. I could make it myself because this rub is just basic. I try different rubs and wind up not using them. I like Sweet Baby Ray's for BBQ sauce. My favorite was Kraft Garlic BBQ sauce but it is no longer available. The other story of my life, if I like it they will stop making it. :ROFLMAO:

My favorite was Kraft Garlic BBQ sauce but it is no longer available.
That brings back memories of growing up in the '60s! Kraft BBQ sauce was the very emblem of outdoor cooking — and of course had to be used with one of these things:

th

Back