What Rubs and Sauces are you using and where do you buy it?

Aaron Lucas

TVWBB Member
Interested in knowing what rubs people are using and where they bought them.

I’ve been working through my new favorite JDQ hot a bottle of heath riles garlic jalapeño and suckle buster chicken dust. Seems to go really well with any pork or poultry I’ve been doing.
I usually buy these from Cen-Cal smoke in Modesto Ca

Would love to get an idea of what other people are using and where they bought it

Mostly stuff from meat church, kosmos and killer hogs. Bought at my local academy and ace. But I do have jar of Soo's moo-la also that I use. Oh, and susie Q's blue label for O.G. tri tip. From Amazon.

Honey hog and the gospel from meat church and the bbq and bbq rub hot from killer hogs. Dirty bird and cow cover hot from kosmos. I used to use honey hog waller from sucklebusters but for me the honey hog from meat church was so close and easier to get so I switched. I do still love cluckerdust on wings but haven't had it for a long while.

Some discussion about commercial rubs from last summer:

Sucklebusters, the 1836 beef rub cant be beat imo, every rub they make is really good, wife likes the campfire steak rub but I prefer the 1836 and it is black pepper forward, anything beef including brisket

Good rubs and marinades are pretty easy to make.
I do own pre made rubs, generally simple stuff from killer hogs and Oakridge which goes out of business December.
Killer hogs hot bbq is a very basic rub for flavor but it colours very nice on charcoal......makes wings look stellar and taste pretty good too.
I think there are a number of threads regarding this topic to accompany Chris's link.

I make my own rubs, but I haven't yet graduated to making my own sauces.

A friend gave me a large bottle of KC Masterpiece Private Stock Reserve Original BBQ Sauce - and it's really good - my new favorite! Baby Ray's original is my next go to sauce.

Jan's Dry Rub for all chicken items; as one forum member said, "It would make a brick taste good.". Roxy's Mustard Sauce for all pork items and some non pork. Montreal Steak Seasoning for steaks. Purchased BBQ sauce - Bull's-Eye and Sweet Baby Rays.

I make my own rubs and usually sauces too. Sometimes I'll doctor either Sweet Baby Ray's or Great Value Original sauces as well, often just adding vinegar and/or hot sauce.

I also usually make my own rubs and try to make some sauces, but it's often easier to buy an existing sauce (like Sweet Baby Ray's) and spike it as I like (typically adding a select habanero sauce. Gotta watch these -- going to heavy handed before you test can get you burned.) But the one commercial rub I keep on hand is Montreal Steak seasoning. Hard to improve on and does just what I want.

For those interested (yea, sure :giggle: ) I just checked the above site and here is what I have posted on it.

RUBS - 23 RECIPES
SAUCES - 25 RECIPES
MARINADES - 17 RECIPES

And Aaron, you want to buy bottled stuff? Heaven only knows what they put in them.

Last edited:

For those interested (yea, sure :giggle: ) I just checked the above site and here is what I have posted on it.

RUBS - 23 RECIPES
SAUCES - 25 RECIPES
MARINADES - 17 RECIPES

And Aaron, you want to buy bottled stuff? Heaven only knows what they put in them.
you no like salmonella in your food?

Smoking is one of my biggest hobbies! 95% of the time I make my own sauces and rubs. I also like knowing all the ingredients that goes into my smoke! I have fun and get more satisfaction making my own! Especially when family and friends comment on how great everything taste. And you tell them you made it all from scratch!! I guess it also a bragging thing! LOL

Last edited:
Smoking is one of my biggest hobbies! 95% of the time I make my own sauces and rubs. I also like knowing all the ingredients that goes into my smoke! I have fun and get more satisfaction making my own! Especially when family and friends comment on how great everything taste. And you tell them you made it all from scratch!! I guess it also a bragging thing! LOL
A good bragging thing. Anything out of you instead of elsewhere is special. Especially when it's appreciated.

Awe man love that avatar that’s it right there yeah!! Always wondered what happened when he stopped at a gas station or went in a store back in the day. Sorry got off topic✋🏻

Back