What kind of wood is good for a brined turkey?

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I'm doing the apple brine on my turkey this year. Does anybody have suggestions on what type of wood is best with this recipe?

Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving! Smoke on! :wsm:

Hmm, well that’s a loaded question now isn't it. You'll probably get a different opinion from every person who responds. Me personally, I always use Pecan for anything poultry, but other mild smoke wood would work. If you’re going for the Apple Brine, why not try Apple Wood. For first time Turkey Smokers out there; whatever you use, don't go overboard. I think Light on the smoke is best for Turkey. It will suck it up much faster and stronger than other meats. But again, that’s only my own opinion.

I've only done one turkey, but I did the apple brine as well. Cherry wood turned out great (even though I may have used a bit too much) and it left a nice bronzed color on the skin. I'd go with either apple or cherry as a personal preference, with a little pecan thrown in too for a richer smoke. I've used these woods on several boneless/skinless chicken breasts too with good results.

Stick with the fruit woods. Typically I try and match my smoke with the flavors of my rubs (brine in your case). I'd go apple if you have it. Cherry would be a second choice. Not too sure on pecan. Don't get me wrong I like pecan but it gives a richer flavor like manzanita and IMO is better on denser meats like beef and pork.

I have used all three, apple, cherry and pecan. Cherry really colours up but is very very mild. I like a combination of pecan and apple. If I were using three pieces of wood two would apple and one would be pecan but we are all different:)

I cook over maple charcoal and use just a 2-inch piece of apple for smoke. The combination is heavenly. Don't go too heavy with the smoke and turkey until you figure out the amount of smoke you like after a few turkey cooks. Good luck.

I have the bird in the brine as well. I was going to ask the same question. It sounds like apple will be a good place to start.

How many slightly smaller than a fist size pieces of wood would everyone use to go with regular Kingsford?

I have the bird in the brine as well. I was going to ask the same question. It sounds like apple will be a good place to start.

How many slightly smaller than a fist size pieces of wood would everyone use to go with regular Kingsford?
I'm a light smoke guy so I'd go two.

My bird is still brining as I type and I think I'll go with the apple wood since I have a bag of it in my garage.

Thanks! I will go with 2 fist size and another small chunk to split the difference.

I just got the bird out of the brine and into a fridge. Knock on wood that my cheesy non wireless probes will help me get the bird off at the right time! (I think some better probes may be on the way from Santa if I've been nice)

We had a new Bass Pro open up in October and went in there yesterday, they had "Orange" tree wood. I usually use Apple, and plan to again. But I just had to get a bag of the Orange.
I'll drop a piece of that on to try. I stuff the cavity with oranges and sage so might not even notice it.
I'll let you know.
Have a fantastic Thanksgiving every one!
Time to go fire up the WSM.

Back