What is everyone planning to cook for Smoke Day 19?

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I am planning a repeat of last smoke day’s Mexican feast. I have two chickens, a big chuck roast and beef ribs. I haven’t made Birria since last year’s Smoke Day despite my youngest daughter asking for “smashed tacos” again many times over the last year. Rotisserie Mexican inspired chickens is more of a staple in my house and chicken empanadas have been made throughout the year. The last few months have been super busy and this has been the longest time without using the rotisserie since I got it. I am getting excited about this cooking weekend. What are you all planning for Smoke Day 19?

Well, once again, that falls the same weekend I have a John Wayne birthday party. So, I in the interest of my stamina, I’m making this a “bring an appetizer” BYOB (my friends can drink like fish!) thing. I’m doing bacon wrapped tater tot’s, shotgun shells, wings and smoked Mettwurst with peppers and onions with a fig jam. As for smoke day proper? I’m thinking ibuprofen will be involved since it’s sounds like Sunday will entail cemetery decoration. The up and down of that will be the undoing of my back, always does. So, smoke day might be some sort of chicken something but, now the smoked chuck is sounding kind of fun too, TBD as of now, maybe I’ll go visit Larry or BFletcher, DanHoo or Brett?
I’ll bring the BIG cooler guys! (Don’t worry, I’ll fill it with beverages)

I’m planning on smoking crack.

J/K, I don’t know what I’m making but I’m sure someone will tell me what they want. I do have a 9# butt in the freezer, plus lots of other goodies. We shall see. Maybe I’ll text the survey out today for family replies.

I am planning a repeat of last smoke day’s Mexican feast. I have two chickens, a big chuck roast and beef ribs. I haven’t made Birria since last year’s Smoke Day despite my youngest daughter asking for “smashed tacos” again many times over the last year. Rotisserie Mexican inspired chickens is more of a staple in my house and chicken empanadas have been made throughout the year. The last few months have been super busy and this has been the longest time without using the rotisserie since I got it. I am getting excited about this cooking weekend. What are you all planning for Smoke Day 19?
Mike, link above isn’t working for me. Care to share the menu? Birria is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time…

Since Smokeday 19 falls on Memorial day weekend, and we are hosting for the family shindig, I will be doing Pork Butt, TriTip and some Pig Shots appetizers. Last year did ribs and jalepeno poppers on the WSM, this time will use my low and slow aparatus and cook in my 22' kettle.

Nevermind, found it!
IMG_20230523_204858.jpg

Tim,
Here is the recipe I created after studying a lot of recipes over a few months last year and created this hybrid recipe. I could not have been happier with it and will work to recreate it this year. I know it is not super easy to see, if you need me to try something different to make it more readable let me know.

My family wants pork ribs, so I think that’s what we’re doing! I’ll be a day late due to work schedule, but hopefully I have enough marbles about me to remember to take photos and post.

Still working on the logistics. Not sure if the WSM will see use this weekend as my Aunt is hosting and wants me to cook. Will most likely be pork butt, ribs, burgers and dogs. Along with the usual sides of baked beans, cole slaw and potato salad. Might even make Atomic Buffalo Turds depending on who all comes.

We have 1 rack of spares ribs left in the freezer and will be smoking them this Saturday. Side will be a broccoli salad.

The only charcoal grill we have is a Smokey Joe and will be doing burgers on Monday.

There is only two of us so keeping it simple.

Tentatively plan on breaking out the WSM 22 for the first time this year. I need to find the largest pork butt that I can find & experiment with a long low & slow cook.

I have just come in from getting the three kettles swept out and ready for this weekend, the Overperformer will be set up as indirect in the 22, direct (I think) in the 18, the platypus will be dedicated to Vortex work and WSM set for a couple of things a buddy is bringing. I have filled chimneys on the Overperformer ready for ignition, not quite enough clearance in the platypus but, that’s an easy enough thing to fire off come the time.
So, now I can take a break and make some lunch to enjoy on the freshly stained deck and enjoy the plants my wonderful wife has planted!
I am glad to see that the weather is supposed to cooperate here and I hope it does wherever you all are celebrating the weekend!

Just Barb and myself this year. Making a tri tip on the performer with a new salad we've never tried, Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad and grilled corn on the bone. Dessert will be Instant pot cheesecake.
Weather will be in the low 80s so it should be a nice day.

I'm going to use the suggestions Chris sent out in his monthly newsletter email: cotija poppers, pork butt (1st time trying Chris Lilly's rub), flourless peanut butter cookies. I would make the smoked beans, but I'm the only one in my family who would eat them, so they are off the menu!

My daughter has a sand volleyball tournament that morning. We'll be leaving the house at 6AM and in and out of the sun for a good part of the day so Smoke Day will be moved to Sunday for us. Planning on queso on the grill followed by chicken fajitas served on a sizzling cast iron platter.

I dunno. Might smoke a turkey L&S and make pulled turkey sammies.
My 22.5" WSM has not seen any action this year.

Back