What else... Corned Beef and Cabbage and some Rye Bread

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Here is my St. Patrick's Day Cook. Went to Costco and couldn't believe it. They had SRF Kobe Corned Beef. I saw a couple of you posted it recently, but usually our Costco is late to the game when it comes to new stuff. Picked up one weighing 3.6 lbs. Here are a few pictures of the cook. I also made a loaf of Rye Bread. Came out pretty good. Pretty heavy and dense, but the flavor and crust were delicious.

Here is the support for the corned beef.

Gorgeous!

Foiled pan and on grill.

A few bread shots. Made a sponge (starter) the night before.

Ready to bake.

All done.

Pulled foil after about 2 1/2 hours.

Added the cabbage and potatoes.

Last edited:
Sliced up the bread.

After another hour and a half it is done.

Starting the slices.

Plate.

This was absolutely the best corned beef I've ever done. Nothing special on my end. That piece of meat from SRF was absolutely wonderful. It made the cook. If you love corned beef, do yourself a favor and spend the $7.79/lb. and try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Hope you all had a great holiday and thank you for looking.

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous cook Cliff, you really did it right, that SRF looks remarkable. That rye bread looks great too, it's one of my favorites. Once I comfortable with my bread making and we're getting there I'll experiment with some rye bread for sure.

Cliff, that is fantastic corn beef and bread. Everything looks so delicious and that plated pic WOW!!! If you were sending invites out for that dinner, you would have been sold out for sure.

Outstanding everything, including photos, Cliff!
Looks much better than what I ate at an Irish Pub yesterday.

Wow, that does look great! The addition of the tomatoes is interesting fer sure.

Tim

Perfect corned beef and cabbage. Cooked to perfection. How did you learn how to make bread like that? That's something I'd like to get into.

Great cook Cliff! What a great meal. Look at that marbling! I was surprised that they used a solution (20%) on a Kobe piece of meat. Like the idea of adding tomatoes. Thanks for sharing. Chuck.

Thank you everyone!

Perfect corned beef and cabbage. Cooked to perfection. How did you learn how to make bread like that? That's something I'd like to get into.

Robert... The Rye Bread in this post was just a random recipe I got off the Net. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try some Rye Bread for SPD. I looked at a lot of recipes and finally tried one early last week. It was pretty basic and was done in a loaf pan. It was delicious....

but it looked like. well, a loaf of store bought. I was looking for something more rustic, something with a nice crunchy crust. Mr. Forkish has me hooked on bread done in the dutch oven so I stumbled on this recipe and it is the one I used in this post. I was very happy with it and will definitely do it again. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back