What Do you Use for Poultry (esp. Turkey) Shears?

See earlier post, I am “still using my grandmother’s stag handled poultry shears” but they don’t come apart.
Post #47

Well that's a new one for me because I never heard of the base of a scissor or shear being called a " throat "
Maybe it's a regional thing. But if the scissors blades are seen as jaws, then the part behind the jaws could be called a throat, I guess. I've never heard of that reference before either though. Kind of interesting.

Maybe it's a regional thing. But if the scissors blades are seen as jaws, then the part behind the jaws could be called a throat, I guess. I've never heard of that reference before either though. Kind of interesting.
That’s exactly it! Jaws/throat the deep part of most bifurcated cutting instruments is just how how I’ve always referred to that part.

I bought these from Amazon a few years ago. They get supper slippery after a few cuts and fly out of my hand, then they fly open and the spring flies out! I will be looking for something new before Thanksgiving :LOL:tempImageFbaqV4.pngtempImageIW5UwN.png

Bought these at Costco yesterday on sale, regularly $28, only $18 with the discount. The shears will be my poultry shears

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpeg
    IMG_4171.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 13
My cutco shears are fifteen years in and they pretty much cut whatever I ask them to.
“The cost of Quality will outlast the disappointment of cheap price“!

I stopped taking out the back bone and just take the whole back off from the breast side by cutting down the sides, its much easier and you don't have to break the breast bone to cook it.

I like to cook a half bird by removing the back bone and spitting it down the breast. My other trick is whenever I cook a bird (no matter half, whole or spatchcocked) I take out the wish bone before doing anything. But, those shears really disappointed me in terms of longevity.

I am not strong enough to spatch a chicken with my Cutco 77. And trying them on a turkey is useless with my puny muscle strength.

I am not strong enough to spatch a chicken with my Cutco 77. And trying them on a turkey is useless with my puny muscle strength.
I looked that up and I can see why you would have trouble with that. A true poultry shear will do the job so easily. My issue was my Wustorf ones just went "south". Given how well they worked at first I had high hopes.

I like to cook a half bird by removing the back bone and spitting it down the breast. My other trick is whenever I cook a bird (no matter half, whole or spatchcocked) I take out the wish bone before doing anything. But, those shears really disappointed me in terms of longevity.

You might consider my post. We use the shears on our duck & pheasant hunts and in addition they are also good for trimming around the blind.

As you can see, the shears alone sell for the "set" I bought at Costco. I've been using those shears at the club for several years, they've cut the backs, the wings and the feet off Ducks, Pheasants and even a Goose or two for several years now. You can neglect them, and they don't rust, LOL

You might consider my post. We use the shears on our duck & pheasant hunts and in addition they are also good for trimming around the blind.

As you can see, the shears alone sell for the "set" I bought at Costco. I've been using those shears at the club for several years, they've cut the backs, the wings and the feet off Ducks, Pheasants and even a Goose or two for several years now. You can neglect them, and they don't rust, LOL
May consider it

I use ratcheted garden shears for my poultry breakdown. I tested but couldn’t find any kitchen or poultry shears that I thought did a good and relatively easy job of cutting through all different poultry bones..

I have my grandmothers shears, stag handle, small serration truly beautiful but, rather difficult to clean. I don’t use them often but they are fearsomely sharp! They are tucked away in the drawer but, accessible.
The cutco’s are the “reach for” shears.

I have my grandmothers shears, stag handle, small serration truly beautiful but, rather difficult to clean. I don’t use them often but they are fearsomely sharp! They are tucked away in the drawer but, accessible.
The cutco’s are the “reach for” shears.
I was thinking might look at Cutco until I saw the prices. Yikes! $150+ I think the garden shear or the OXO are likely in my future :D

Larry, +1 on the Oxo shears. Bought 2 years ago and have put them through the wringer. Still going strong and work very well all the way up to spatcocking turkey.

That Fiskar set from Costco does look intriguing though. I love using their stuff in my yard, why not in the kitchen?

Back