What Do you Use for Poultry (esp. Turkey) Shears?

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Timely thread! I broke a pair yesterday doing the same thing.
Went on the Amazon and checked on a few but the reviews where so so.
I'll be watching this.

We've had great success with the OXO Good Grips shears you linked. That's about the only brand of kitchen tools we'll buy anymore.

Have you ever tried splitting the breast side instead of removing the spine? Never done it with a turkey but it works good for chickens.

A turkey’s bone structure is substantially larger and more rigid than any chicken.

I’ve been cutting up my turkeys for years now as they brine and cook better for how I like to work with them; in pieces.

For splitting the breast bones, I use a cleaver and let the weight of the cleaver do most of the splitting. For the back, I can use a 12” chef’s knife for some parts of it but the cleaver just works miracles.

1650292788628.jpeg

You can score the breast and cut the cartilage with a chef’s knife but you’re not getting through the sternum with shears, nor any knife.

1650293148716.jpeg

I’m very pleased with my Cutco shears as well. I have an old pair of stag handled poultry shears that were my grandmothers, still sharp, but I don’t use them very often anymore. They are a cherished family thing and I don’t want to damage them through the wrong person getting their hands on them.
I have resorted to one of my massive cleavers from time to time though.

I have a set of Cutco #77 shears that generally work well for me in the kitchen except for when I attempt to remove a turkey backbone. After yesterday's experience I refuse to struggle with them anymore for that activity.

Do you have something that works reasonably well on turkeys? Do any of you use one of these?:

Poultry Shears Heavy Duty Professional Kitchen Chicken Scissors Spring Loaded Meat Shears with Anti-Slip Handle & Safety Lock for Bone, Fish, Chicken, Turkey

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PGG7ZQ/?tag=tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NT5RHN3/?tag=tvwb-20

Thanks
IMO, neither of these will get through a turkey. If a chicken is 4# and a turkey is 16#, you’ll need shears with 4x the cutting strength to get through a turkey, and the hand and forearm strength to do so.

I need to revisit this. I bought a whole set of Calphalon branded Kitchen Sheers among which was a so called "poultry shear". What junque. First time I tried using them on a chicken the jaws would bend and sonly slide across the breast bones. I definitely need something else that actually works

1. I got a cheap serrated knife with an 8 inch blade. Cost maybe $10 bucks. The sawing action makes a world of difference.

2. Cleaver.

3. A big heavy chef's knife that can be used as a cleaver.

4. Long handled pruner from the garage.

Last edited:
1. I got a cheap serrated knife with an 8 inch blade. Cost maybe $10 bucks. The sawing action makes a world of difference.

2. Cleaver.

3. A big heavy chef's knife that can be used as a cleaver.

4. Long handled pruner from the garage.
Cleaver is the easiest to use. It’s 4-5 drops of the cleaver and you’re through the sternum. All the other items above but your fingers at risk of being cut or removed. You need the weight of the cleaver which helps make each drop cut into the bone.

When I broke the handle on the one I had I used a new one of these.
Almost went out to the garage and grabbed a new pair of these.

I have a cleaver which I used many times before, just trying to contain any fly away mess.

Timely thread! I broke a pair yesterday doing the same thing.
Went on the Amazon and checked on a few but the reviews where so so.
I'll be watching this.
Same here.....I didn't break a pair, but the pair I have is a bear to use on poultry.

I was looking at a knock-off ( much cheaper ) version of this.
I remember a few cooking shows on PBS the chefs used something similar.

If all else fails a hand held meat saw like my Dad had will work.

Back