What are your favorite BBQ tools? Best burger flipping spatula?

One of my favorites is a big spatula that is thick enough to lift a cooked pork butt, which I bought many years ago at a kitchen outlet store. My favorite tongs are these Ecko tongs, practically an antique. I much prefer the scissors design over the spring-loaded type, though I have several of the latter because they are longer and keep my hand away from the fire.s-l300.jpgThe end of the tongs also fits into the ring at the top of this poultry roasting gadget, giving me a secure handle for lifting and moving chickens or turkeys.vertical-roaster.jpg

Last edited:
One that gets overlooked: A galvanized ash can with a tight fitting lid for piece of mind. Ashes are not to be messed with.
I leave the cleaning and dumping of ashes from my Weber Performer Deluxe(close-all-vents) for the next day to ensure I am not disposing of any partially lit charcoal. However, like your idea of that ash pan.

Wally World had some SS tongs for $1 several years ago, so I bought one.
Nice gripping power and they locked shut for easy storage.
They ran out, so I told myself to get some next grilling season.
Danged if the next batch had silicone tips on them! 🤬
I kept looking over the next couple seasons and I found another all SS set!
Unfortunately, the price was now $2.50!
Oh well, I bought them any way!
It’s been probably 5 or 6 years since I bought that second pair and they still work great!
And one set is in the camper as we bought some new ones for the house and the set came with a longer pair.

I like the OXO tongs and an older Weber spatula. For gloves I have a pair of silicone gloves and welding gloves. I like the Thermepen for checking temps and for me a galvanized can is indespensible.

I have an old Weber Style pair of tongs the same as the OP's OXO ones. I have given them some abuse over the years but they are still my favourites. The newer Weber tongs just seem a bot too 'aggressive' with their teeth. I only use them for picking up and moving coals. My favourite spatula is also a Weber double length style one. The newer ones just aren't strong enough. Also a Themoworks Smoke and a Thermapen are essential. Beer, though is top of the list.

Back