What are you cooking for the 4th?

Than why bother with a grill or smoker? Where I am TRULY jealous and puzzled is seeing people do a chuck on their smokers (pellet or otherwise), and taking off beautiful fall apart roast. Honestly drives me nuts that I can't accomplish that.
It’s a personal preference I like to do the chuck roast or tri tip brisket style because it’s less time and work and my results are more consistent. That being said you are still at the mercy of the meat that you get. Good luck and cook what works for you. Happy 4th and stay safe and hydrated!

Chicken tacos dorados. It’s just the wife and I and it’ll be too hot to cook and slave outside today.

I made the filling yesterday so I just need to assemble them today.

This is interesting, never heard of it.....read the recipe, it doesn't give me the " wow " factor much but they probably taste pretty good.
What kind of oil will you be using for the frying?

This is interesting, never heard of it.....read the recipe, it doesn't give me the " wow " factor much but they probably taste pretty good.
What kind of oil will you be using for the frying?
Avocado. But first I’ll dip the tortillas in the sauce that this made so the tortillas will have extra flavor.

I amped up the chicken seasoning. It tastes pretty good.

These with some fresh salsa, some crema and jalapeños should all be good. And a beer or two to wash them down with.

Screenshot_20240704_072941_Photos~2.jpg

Making one of my favorite meals. Ribeye steaks, stuffed mushrooms and asparagus/tomato. I think I'm going to make some potatoes too but I'm not sure what yet maybe potato salad.

Preparing food listening to music. Something I love to do. Listening to The Cars: Heartbeat City. Hard to believe this album came out 40 years ago.

Last edited:
We are having a pot luck dinner party.
I’m doing the brisket and some seafood, neighbor is bringing a pork butt and the rest of our family and friends always do a great job with side dishes and things like that.

On another note,
Our area allows large fireworks and the neighborhood (land owners) spends tons of money on this.
Thankfully our dogs don’t freak out over this.
I once had a dog that would shiver in fear under blankets on this night.
I urge all to think about their pets and have their collars on.
I know some people that even sedate their pooches.
I say these words as a person living remotely that has firework's at his parties.
We have a small pit bull that totally freaks over loud noises (think he was abused by his previous owner). My wife knitted him a "Quiet Ears" cap that pulls down over his ears. That helps a lot for thunder and fireworks.

Not a very pretty day here either, may rain, may not, grey dismal, don’t know if the grandson and his Mom will be coming, others went to the cottage! I’m thinking tonight, it might just be hot dogs maybe I’ll make up some potato salad? There will be quite the air show not too far from here today, Saturday and Sunday so, I am thinking that I will make up some things to pack for a picnic on Sunday when the weather “should” be better.
Nothing like “decibels for democracy” and a ham sandwich!

Haven’t had the best luck with Chucks, but I keep trying. Open to suggestions 👍🏻
And with your name being Chuck the embarrassment and humiliation must be just terrible! Crushing! Devastating! ;)

I'm a big fan of chuck steak (ate a lot of it when I was young and underfunded). Sliced thin against the grain, it has great flavor. So if chuck roasts are on sale I'll often buy one and slice it horizontally for a couple of steaks.

Today we're having turkey breast halves (they'll hit the 22" Bar-B-Kettle in about 45 minutes) and for backup I picked up a couple of strip steaks, since I bought a new rub in Iowa a few months back and am looking forward to trying it. Plus my daughter also gave me some marrow bones so they'll be a first, and I just finished making a double batch of pasta salad. My wife sliced some fruit and bought some cookies, but I couldn't care less about that stuff.;)

Last edited:

Back