Weber x ÄPPLARÖ

DuncanMcDowell

Hey folks - I've been lurking this community for a bit over a year, participated a bit in the past couple months, and now have something to share with the group. I don't get many opportunities to work with my hands, however after looking for a new grill and not being satisfied with the current offerings, I decided it was a good excuse to take up a new project.

I wrote a quick python script to check my local classified listings every ~5m, and started searching for a Genesis x000 or similar. My first hit was a Silver B that I purchased for $50, completely disassembled and learned a number of lessons on. Then after several months of minimal results, a decent condition early 00' Genesis 1000 popped up within a five minute drive of my home. Another $50 in and I had a better starting candidate than my Silver B.

Special thanks to @Bruce for supplying me with a NG manifold, and to the rest of this forum for supplying the general braintrust.

I call this one Weber x ÄPPLARÖ because I stained it in the same IKEA colour as my patio furniture :)

Finished Project:

qfHqiwv.jpg

Bq96BST.jpg

Sandblasted parts:

t4FiPCH.jpg

UaOxqcj.jpg

@Bruce the manifold cleaned up well

8btAa6A.jpg

Comparison against the propane manifold that came with it

z7MpD8P.jpg

NwtihnI.jpg

Ready to go

uoa7hp1.jpg

I love the dark stained wood with the black hood! I'm thinking I will do something similar with the Skyline I'm going to restore in a while.....which I'll do with wood tables rather than the Durwood stuff. Looks great! Now, like a new pair of white tennies, get that thing dirty!! :)

R

Duncan, you did a wonderful job on that grill. I am glad the manifold worked out for you. It probably would have been better to remove that quick connect from the manifold and put a 1/8" NPT plug in it's place, but your solution should work. I just don't like any unnecessary sources for leakage.

I am glad you personalized it with your own personal touches and matching the other stuff on your patio is a great idea.

And for Ed's sake, I have just one more thing to say: It ain't done until there is a 1.5 lb Ribeye searing on it.

Duncan, you did a wonderful job on that grill. I am glad the manifold worked out for you. It probably would have been better to remove that quick connect from the manifold and put a 1/8" NPT plug in it's place, but your solution should work. I just don't like any unnecessary sources for leakage.

I am glad you personalized it with your own personal touches and matching the other stuff on your patio is a great idea.

And for Ed's sake, I have just one more thing to say: It ain't done until there is a 1.5 lb Ribeye searing on it.

completely agree, quick connect will be gone next week once I have the cap.

As for the ribeye...it came a day too early for this grill - the BGE did well with it though :)

Back