Weber Spirit (2009) NG to LP converstion

RobertDavidsen

Hello everyone,
i recently was given this Weber Grill. the only problem is that it is a natural gas grill and my current house does not have a gas line for the grill. Ive seen several good threads on this forum on how to convert a NG grill to LP ( https://tvwbb.com/threads/e-320-genesis-conversion-natural-gas-over-to-propane.77007/).
My current issue is that i do not know what model grill I have, and for the life of me I can not see a SN on the grill any where. Would someone be able to assist me here to two ways.
First being would someone be able to give me the make/model of this grill (the only marking see on the inside of the door is (61374 5/09)
Secondly, could someone point me to the correct orifices that i need to get to make this convention work? My goal is not not replace the entire manifold if I dont have too, but i do want to do this safely and correctly. in the form listed above i see conversations around fix / stepped valves, how do I go about knowing if I have correct valves that I can just change the orifices on?
Any advice would be great, please let me know if I need to provide more information.

Attachments

• weber grill.jpg
    weber grill.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 8
Here we go AGAIN.............................Please do a search. The subject has been discussed to death. Bottom line you CANNOT SAFELY convert without changing manifold on a Weber. Yes there are ways to do SOME not ALL conversions on them, BUT you need A LOT of technical knowledge about gas, pressures and flow to do it RIGHT and SAFELY. If you're not caring about safety than just buy any rip off artist's "conversion kit" you find.

thanks for the reply, ive done about 4 hours of reaching this topic and i get to the point that i do not know the make and model of the grill above. i would like to find the correct orifices and understand if the valves i have are safe to use. I do care about safety, if I didn't I would have just connected the propane tank to the grill and called it good.....
i cant seem to find what orifices will work with my grill.

Not sure where the model info is on the Spirit. On the Genesis in that time frame there is a sticker on the side of the drip pan bracket inside the cabinet. Manifold is the only true way to go safely. Keep your NG manifold as is just in case you move or get NG service.

... if the valves i have are safe to use. ...
They are not. That is why just swapping orifices will not be safe. Listen to Larry. Weber doesn't sell conversion kits just to be a dick to owners that want to swap fuel sources. Weber wants NG users to have the same heat, fire control and cooking experience as LP users, but that can't achieved by just switching orifices. They don't sell conversion kits because the conversion kit would include a new manifold, valves & orifices, and it would be cost prohibitive.

Since you do not want to replace the manifold, perhaps selling this NG grill and using the proceeds to purchase a LP grill might be the safest course of action.

Years ago I asked the same question and received the same answer, not very helpful. I suggest you look at trading your manifold with someone who is looking for a NG manifold. That"s what I did and it worked out great. Go to the fore sale or trade forum. Good Luck ! :)

I agree with RJ. I did the same thing, had an LP grill that needed to be NG, posted a thread under the Buy/Sell forum asking anyone if they had the correct NG manifold that I needed and got it for a nice price. Easy as pie. Once you figure out the model you have, then that route would be the easiest. If you try to pursue a conversion that involves jerryrigging your existing manifold , you are going to keep getting the kind of posts that you already have gotten. I understand that it is a safety issue and no one is going to endorse that kind of conversion on this site. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thank you everyone for the reply’s, I’ll likely buy a new Manifold or a used Weber propane grill.
I appreciate the helpful and kind comments,
Have views on this changed since last year, I read some posts about how it’s fine to do so.

Hi Robert,

Over the past couple of years, the forum has been attracting more and more people who want to refurbish Weber gas grills, and along with this comes an increasing number of questions about gas conversion. Weber is very clear that they don't want customers doing this. As a forum, we are not beholden to Weber on this subject, but we see people who think conversion is as simple as replacing orifices, they buy questionable parts kits, and then return with photos of roaring burners that can't be controlled. After lots of wasted time and money, many end up replacing the manifold anyway.

So our stock answer is becoming: Replace the manifold, don't mess with orifices, valves, etc. Replacing the entire manifold is a project that is within the capabilities of many owners and likely ends with a successful and satisfying outcome.

Good luck,
Chris

Chris, make that post of yours a sticky. that was well written. :D

At least, put that at the very top of your Gas change How To.

Back