Weber Smokefire Gen2?

Randy Davis

Based on what I have read here, Weber is making many on the fly changes to the Smokefire. I am planning to purchase one and was trying to decide do I wait for Gen 2 if that will happen or just bite the bullet and buy Gen 1 and make all the updates or changes. Any help out there?

Kind of a personal preference thing. If you want the grill to work as advertised right out of the box, then wait. If you don't want to wait and are willing to put up with the shortcomings, then buy now.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t buy one if I were you. What’s the one thing you want from a pellet smoker, consistency and this thing just doesn’t have it.

Beautiful day out here and it won’t come up to temp. Kids are hungry, it’s annoying.

I wouldn’t buy one if I were you. What’s the one thing you want from a pellet smoker, consistency and this thing just doesn’t have it.

Beautiful day out here and it won’t come up to temp. Kids are hungry, it’s annoying.
Any other recommendations? Spent a fair amount of time looking at grills that can sear and smoke Unless I drop $3K on the Fast Eddy PGC-1000 there aren't many options.

Well it came up to temp, and now i like it again. :) I don’t think anything is as versatile as the SmokeFire which is exactly why it has some issues

I use it as a grill just as much as a smoker, and it does do both well. If Weber gets the controller in a better place it has a ton of potential.

If I was buying one today the RecTec 700 looks pretty good, but it won’t work as well a a grill in my opinion. John Tofte is the rec tec expert check out some of his posts.

I have a WSM, an old Summit which is about to die. For long term or larger smoking needs I will most likely use that. But it is a fair amount of work and time commitment. Thought this would fit the bill in the middle.

I have a WSM, an old Summit which is about to die. For long term or larger smoking needs I will most likely use that. But it is a fair amount of work and time commitment. Thought this would fit the bill in the middle.
I'm in a very similar situation, not sure I can wait for all the kinks to get worked out with the software before I pull the trigger 😂

Any other recommendations? Spent a fair amount of time looking at grills that can sear and smoke Unless I drop $3K on the Fast Eddy PGC-1000 there aren't many options.
Camp Chef Woodwind wifi. 24" or 36". Check out Dave's Woodwind thread here.

Response from Weber

Hi Randy,

Thank you for contacting the Weber team!

We are glad to hear that you are interested in our SmokeFrie unit.

SmokeFire grills are manufactured with fully functioning parts. If you happen to experience any issue with your grill, please give us a call and we’ll walk you through some quick troubleshooting steps. The majority of the issues we’re hearing about are due to simple fixes we can help you with over the phone or general maintenance. If a replacement part is needed, we’ll send it to you immediately so that you’re up and grilling as soon as possible. In fact, upon purchase, we will send you a complimentary hopper insert to ensure an efficient pellet feed.
Please be assured that Weber is taking a great deal of steps to ensure quality products are coming out of the manufacturing facility. Weber is, and always has been, a name you can trust in – and we’re more than willing to work with you. Our end goal is to make sure that EVERY customer is as passionate about SmokeFire as we are, and will continue to do whatever we can to make that happen!

Please let us know if you have further questions. As always we are happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!

My question:

Rdavisvmd
Apr 24, 10:39 CDT
I am planning to purchase a smokefire. I understand being a first generation that there alot of updates that are part of the process. I understand that some of the upgrades have been new augers, welded pellet chutes, etc.
Will there be a second generation of the Grill released with these upgrades? If so when?
If not is there a batch upgrade kit that you are sending out after the purchase?
Randy

Skipped the whole 2nd Generation question. Guess that is not in the works, or they have a whole lot of inventory to sell before that happens.

[QUOTE
Skipped the whole 2nd Generation question. Guess that is not in the works, or they have a whole lot of inventory to sell before that happens.
[/QUOTE]

After reading your question and their answer it makes me think that Weber quality and pride is a thing of the past. They act like they can ride this out on their reputation despite an overhyped and flawed product. That's a shame.

All I can say is mine works flawlessly. Turned it on, updated software or whatever and boom, I'm grilling what I want.

Quality to me is Weber standard.

In case you haven't read this, check it out

With so many pictures of gorgeous bbq done on SmokeFire pellet grills, it has to admitted that when these grills work they produce GREAT results. Maybe the searing aspect isn’t perfectly even, but it is still impressive if you are looking for that in a grill that can also do low and slow.

Having seen at least an EX-4 in person I feel they are stylish and better built overall than their competitors in the same price category. Yes you can get better for twice as much or even more money, but for $1,200 you won’t find a pellet grill that is substantially higher in construction quality.

It seems to me that for now, the SmokeFire is a temperamental grill that can be trying but also rewarding if you get it in a good mood. Hopefully, software updates and some upgraded parts will continue to make this innovative grill less aggravating. Kind of a high strung race horse...If you prefer a dependable work horse the SmokeFire isn’t ready for you yet. If you are up for training a racer and can put up with disappointments along the way towards getting some great food, it might be what you need.

Maybe a 2.0 version will come eventually.

T
With so many pictures of gorgeous bbq done on SmokeFire pellet grills, it has to admitted that when these grills work they produce GREAT results. Maybe the searing aspect isn’t perfectly even, but it is still impressive if you are looking for that in a grill that can also do low and slow.

Having seen at least an EX-4 in person I feel they are stylish and better built overall than their competitors in the same price category. Yes you can get better for twice as much or even more money, but for $1,200 you won’t find a pellet grill that is substantially higher in construction quality.

It seems to me that for now, the SmokeFire is a temperamental grill that can be trying but also rewarding if you get it in a good mood. Hopefully, software updates and some upgraded parts will continue to make this innovative grill less aggravating. Kind of a high strung race horse...If you prefer a dependable work horse the SmokeFire isn’t ready for you yet. If you are up for training a racer and can put up with disappointments along the way towards getting some great food, it might be what you need.

Maybe a 2.0 version will come eventually.
John you get, the SmokeFire for sure!!

Weber is replacing the augur. chute and liner for the hopper for free. I got mine this week and start doing the swaps tonight.
Is everyone else taking advantage of this offer?

After all the upgrades mine has been flawless the last 6 cooks but all of them have been 350 or less. I still think the pellet "plug" at the end of the auger looms. As I have said before a Weber CS person told me he has to vacuum out the auger after so many cooks.

There is a new app, a new Jun OS, and a new firmware this week. And they run smooth. Check the Weber site for complete instructions.

Last edited:

Back