Weber Slate Griddle

The bbq logic doesn't go far at my place....I try....I use the same points you make but then it gets used back against me some how or another....:unsure:

I thought I did see one fella chatting about getting the new Searwood and the new Slate but I couldn't be sure.

No tracking info sent yet but based on previous purchases from the same seller I would consider Monday being my delivery date.....probably not tomorrow.
Oh I didn’t say that logic ever worked. Hahahahaha!
We won’t be picking one up this summer, looking forward to seeing how you use yours.

Oh I didn’t say that logic ever worked. Hahahahaha!
We won’t be picking one up this summer, looking forward to seeing how you use yours.
Sounds great.
I have a bunch of ideas already stuck in my head......including Philly cheese and some jambalaya.
Have a self made recipe going for this with some improvements yet to be made to the rice but the meat portion is working very well so far.
Of course there is is tons of must do eats that I am sure everyone does like breakfast, fajitas and of course my previously shared smash burgers...but better of course.
Michael Richards shared his Birria cook and I may end up using the flat top to achieve some solid sears when I go to make this dish.
Maybe it doesn't sear good like that.....everything is still to be learned.
I will be sure to share what I am doing....lets not be worried about that.

they're great - We got one last year, so the older model - We were having a weekend party, and were feeding 75 people among other things breakfast for 3 days - The result was, it got nicely seasoned in a hurry - I really like what they did with the new one with the lowering of plate - that was a good move. The larger side tables were also a good idea - The tables on last year's model were weird in the sense that can get really hot from about 6 inches out from the unit on either side - sort of rendering that real estate partially useless. For example, you wouldn't want to put anything plastic in that area. Looking at the Weber page, you can still get the older one, but if the $ isn't a huge concern, the new one certainly looks like the way to go.

The biggest concern for me getting one was of course the griddle top and what would happen to it in between usage - We live in the Northwest part of the US, and its cold and wet for a good portion of the year - we leave it in the garage and have to say it did *much* better than I anticipated- if you have any experience with caring for cast iron (like Lodge stuff) you'll have leg up on the required care - Mine developed a rust spot at one point, but just a minute of light brushing with some steel wool cleaned it up nicely. (A side note - Your paper towel consumption will go up immensely as well. lol...) Currently we use it about once or twice a month -I heat it up a bit, wipe it it off and its ready to go. When we're done with it, I clean it up and still whipping about a 1/2 tablespoon of oil on it before closing the lid - I hope I won't have to do that by the end of the summer, but we'll see.

When the new one came out, like others, I thought the griddle top was the stuff they make the wok and other accessories from - What Weber refers to as 'porcelain-enameled cast iron' but now I don't think that's the case- Maybe its just pre-seasoned carbon? Regardless what it is, it will need some level of care, so be prepared for that. Last years model required the top to be de-oiled, and seasoned prior to the first use - maybe that step was giving some folks fits, so they preseason them now somehow? Don't know.

I think the best advice I could provide is cook a ton of bacon on it after you get it. We did about 20lbs of bacon that second time we used it and the top winded up looked like grandma's ancient cast iron skillet after the smoke cleared. Have fun, you'll love it!

I spent some time looking at one at Home Depot yesterday.
That darn thing is nice.
The case hardened steel cooking area was very impressive.
Just touching it felt right to my hands that know metal.
The one I saw was a 30”.
Do they make a 36” ?
If they don’t they should.
I also liked that the hood when opened sat lower than the Blackstone that just hinges straight up and limits your surrounding views.
The grease and debris dump system is much nicer and looks easier to keep clean as well.
I think you are going to be a happy camper with this Darryl.

Thanks for the words and tips.
Once I check tomorrow on the tracking I should know more, either Monday or Tuesday last time I checked.
Then it still has to be built…..feels like nothing will be done on it until next weekend…..I don’t get a lot of free time during the week.
I was going to spray it down with something like grill grate cleaner that Weber makes, and rinse it with water…….then get it warm and get some oil on it and burn that off, let it cool and do it again……then probably cook bacon on it after that….then maybe some burgers for dinner.

30 inch released first…..up here I bet the 36 doesn’t come around until next year.
36 is massive….I cook for 2 people most of the time, even with more when it happens I am sure the 30 will be big enough.

I am now in possession of this griddle.....sitting in the back of the MRS's compact SUV and just ready to get it home.
First off I want to share if you are getting one it is heavy in the box.....I thought I read 140 pounds somewhere.......maybe....
It's heavy either way, so you would need another set of hands to get it to where you need it.

Looking to set it up Saturday morning......get the oil cooked into it a bit....it may not need a lot of seasoning due to it plainly just not being cast.
Mentioned above by Andy......

Get a pound or 2 of bacon moving on after that....get the grease flowing on it.....
Then as I mentioned to Eric in another story thread.......I may turn smash burgers out for the maiden voyage.
Unless of course the warden has something to say about it.........

Better pick up some delicious grain, hops, yeast and water.......you know.....to make sure everything goes smoothly.

This is probably a good product and I’m sure you will be happy with it Darryl.
Flat tops are not too complicated so there really isn’t much to go wrong with them I would think.

That said, I’m a little confused with what I read though and have a few questions.
These questions are not directed at anyone in particular and maybe I read this wrong.

So this is a mild steel flat top that needs to be seasoned every few cooks?
Am I reading that correct?
Why on earth would you need to season it every few cooks?
Doesn’t cooking and cleaning season it?
Also is there a new kind of mild steel that is rust resistant that hasn’t been plated by something?
This would be news to me.
So is this plated or is this raw steel?
If it’s plated I would consider that a failure point.

I live in a salt water marine environment and have had to take some precautions like having my entrance gate powder coated and simple rust precautions around our place.
In this harsh environment my Blackstone doesn’t rust but I clean it.
I’m not even overly anal about cleaning it.
I sometimes wait a day or two to clean it if I’m cooking late or just being lazy.
Gribble care instructions - Weber

I've been watching folks with vids on their new griddles....as well as watching people seasoning their carbon steel pans.
I have found some French made carbon steel pans that I will indeed be replacing my whole cooking area with if indeed the carbon steel griddle works well. The videos of people and their French made carbon steel pans really adore them....and from what I see it is what I want in my house...
I have to put in some time and work but I will also relay the info on cast vs. carbon.......I have limited experience in each but I do own a few Lodge pans that I use here and there.
Let's be honest here though......the French ones are a quality product and the price reflects that.
It will be the last pans I buy if I do indeed get them......that is a whole other story though.
Anything over 9.5 inches is over $100 per pan..........and they do increase considerably from there.

Got the slate put together…..could do it with one but a couple parts was easier with 2 people.
The griddle comes packaged amazingly…..nothing bad to say at all about that.
It takes about 15 minutes to get everything out and ready to put together.
I got it together in about 45 minutes and I was really making sure on things and not fully tightening all bolts until I was sure things were right.
Got a few pics, tried to get some close ups so you can see what we got here.
Started the wash and just currently started the first seasoning.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpeg
    IMG_1099.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1100.jpeg
    IMG_1100.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1101.jpeg
    IMG_1101.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1102.jpeg
    IMG_1102.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1104.jpeg
    IMG_1104.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1105.jpeg
    IMG_1105.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1106.jpeg
    IMG_1106.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1107.jpeg
    IMG_1107.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1108.jpeg
    IMG_1108.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1111.jpeg
    IMG_1111.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1112.jpeg
    IMG_1112.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1113.jpeg
    IMG_1113.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1114.jpeg
    IMG_1114.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1115.jpeg
    IMG_1115.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1117.jpeg
    IMG_1117.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 14
30" looks like a perfect size.
I like the side baffles for a wind block. See if you can find a silicon cover that slides over the griddle.
They make them for Blackstone and I found one for my Members Mark.
It makes a difference with rust and dust etc.

30" looks like a perfect size.
I like the side baffles for a wind block. See if you can find a silicon cover that slides over the griddle.
They make them for Blackstone and I found one for my Members Mark.
It makes a difference with rust and dust etc.
I just ordered a silicone jewelry type mat from Amazon……nothing that is a perfect fit for this 30 inch……..so I have to cut it down to size.
I don’t really want mouse poop on the cooking surface…..this was a hint given to me from a friend who has a BS…..

First seasoning set in…just cooling now, number 2 coming up soon.
Not sure how the seasoning is going to set in on this surface vs cast iron……

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 13
I just ordered a silicone jewelry type mat from Amazon……nothing that is a perfect fit for this 30 inch……..so I have to cut it down to size.
I don’t really want mouse poop on the cooking surface…..this was a hint given to me from a friend who has a BS…..
I bought this one and it does make a big difference. 30" is a odd size so good luck trying to make one fit.
Mine would rust just sitting there. Now that I use this it's like heaven!

I bought this one and it does make a big difference. 30" is a odd size so good luck trying to make one fit.
Mine would rust just sitting there. Now that I use this it's like heaven!
I bought a silicone mat…..it’s about 35 by 22 or something…need to cut it down to the 30.1 by 28.1 or whatever the spec was for the cooking surface.
It was 30 bucks…..hopefully I don’t have to spend 60 because I can’t do math or something.
I think it will work fine except it doesn’t cover the vertical portion of the cooking surface…I didn’t have much choice to be honest.
One day they will have one to fit it I am sure.
I seen the BS orange ones, looks like they fir like a glove.

Second round..it was smoking good but the pic doesn’t show it…..
All the stupid bugs fly over the grill and die.
Bugs…mice….all the things I didn’t consider before purchase.
We have rain in an hour….i have one more coat to go….lets hope I can get it finished in time.
Looks like a pound of bacon in the morning, I wanted to do it today but I guess not.

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpeg
    IMG_1119.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
Just started the third seasoning session, this last one I used the Weber brand purchased wax I guess it’s called….
Has grape seed, canola and bees wax…..putting it on it smelt like honey……funny.
Lower smoke point as I used avocado oil on the first 2 rounds…..
Bacon in the morning and maybe the full breakfast we will see……
Smash burgers are still up in the air for dinner tomorrow, already cooking chicken breast, thighs and a tri tip for the weeks proteins so we might eat the tri tip on a bun or something and do burgers mid week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 5
Not sure if the Weber brand does a better job or it’s just because it’s the third round but looking good now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 11

Back