Weber Pull Out Tray - 40968012

Correct Jon- I am keeping the old one.

I am still interested in getting a quote for a fabricator to make a new one out of stainless because as you say, the supply of usable grease trays is dwindling.

It’s curious to me why those trays are more susceptible to rot than other porcelain enamel coated Weber grill parts?
I wonder if Weber kettles last a long time because the high pH of charcoal ashes neutralizes the acidic grease.

The apocalypse may be upon us. Yesterday, I was offered and sold a used 40968012 drip tray in no better than average condition for $75 to a local cash and carry buyer who tracked me down on social media. Not too shabby for a roadside freebie grill with a lot of other salvageable parts. It scares me to think where the market on these trays might be headed if someone is willing to show up from out of the woodwork and offer up that kind of money on their own for one, though.

Yes, those earlier Genesis drip trays are becoming a harder and harder item to find intact, and there is no known domestic source for new ones left. These may well become the deal-breaking factor in the not-too-distant future for restorations of classic Genesis 1-5 and x000 grills.

I have thought about asking the metal shop we work with for a quote to fab a drip tray out of stainless.

It would most likely cost way more than $70, but would last longer than me.

Anyone ever look into this?

On my 93 grill, the drip tray was in bad shape compared to the rest of the grill.
I would be happy to purchase one or two of them. As my Genesis 1000 is missing that part, I desperately need it.

I would be happy to purchase one or two of them. As my Genesis 1000 is missing that part, I desperately need it.
Esther, I have seen a couple of aftermarket universal fit drip trays that would work. I have also repaired them when they have holes in them. However, since they really aren't available new anymore the best way to get one is to find a parts grill to take it from.

Back