Weber Pull Out Tray - 40968012

John, my theory is that it is exposed to the acids in the grease drippings. Just my guess though. I think that if they were cleaned out good three or four times each grilling season, they would last a lot longer.

John, my theory is that it is exposed to the acids in the grease drippings. Just my guess though. I think that if they were cleaned out good three or four times each grilling season, they would last a lot longer.
That makes sense. The tray has “pitting” - little holes in the porcelain coating that haven’t rusted through for the most part.

Still not bad for an almost 30 year old grill that lives outside without a cover.

There is a fair amount of grease accumulated inside the hood, and I really only thoroughly cleaned that part after becoming a member here, but that finish is in much better shape.

To be fair, I don't think the process or quality/amount of porcelain coating is nearly as high on the drip pans as it is on the lids. What happens that causes the pitting, I think, is that the procelain fractures slightly from either heat cycles, dings or just time and eventually allows water and other corrosives to reach the steel underneath. It starts as a pin sized spot and turns into pea size spot soon enough. The areas around the edges of the lip don't get as good of a coating and are more prone getting dinged and chipped and that is why you see the majority of the rust on those areas.

I replaced the tray in my 2000 Silver B before the 20 year mark. Probably closer to 15.
You have to wonder how long those will be available. Does Weber still make them, or did they just have a large stock that hasn't been depleted yet?

Those trays are new old stock. Someone just found a bunch of them in a warehouse or closed store or something.
Weber does not and has not made them for years and no one else does either.

Those trays are new old stock. Someone just found a bunch of them in a warehouse or closed store or something.
Weber does not and has not made them for years and no one else does either.
No, I meant the #99250 drip tray that the Silver B grill uses.

One appears to be for sale in Port Washington, Long Island NY
They don't appear to want to ship, but might be worth a call..
I wonder how many NOS Weber parts still set in hardware stores?

Attachments

• drip tray.JPG
    drip tray.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 26
I was kind of wondering if that was an old inventory item that never got taken out of their system. Hopefully they still have it. I am waiting to find out. :)

The tray has arrived in pristine condition and is now tucked away safely in the shop with the herd of other NOS acquisitions I’ve slowly been accumulating. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning opening up the box and have to apologize for not thinking to take a video or snap some pics in the moment. No definite plans for it yet, but I might use it on the 3400 restoration this spring. Time will tell.

The tray has arrived in pristine condition and is now tucked away safely in the shop with the herd of other NOS acquisitions I’ve slowly been accumulating. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning opening up the box and have to apologize for not thinking to take a video or snap some pics in the moment. No definite plans for it yet, but I might use it on the 3400 restoration this spring. Time will tell.
You got a great deal if you only paid $30 for a brand new pull out tray!

Back