Weber Pull Out Tray - 40968012

I am afraid the unavailability of this part is going to be the #1 thing that does in future restoring of our beloved old Gennies. I wish we could get someone like Qlimetal to add this to their offerings, but I guess it is a more complex manufacturing project than making grates and flavorizer bars.
Jon, I'm afraid you may be right. More than likely, if Weber had ever made these drip trays in China we would still be able to get them. Once an American company gives them the tooling to make something, they will.

The bottom pan for a 2011 to 2016 E310 or E330 will fit an x000 but the drip tray will be offset to the left side.

The bottom pan for a 2011 to 2016 E310 or E330 will fit an x000 but the drip tray will be offset to the left side.
I think I remember that fact coming up in that long discussion we had about drip trays. I also seem to remember that at least at the time, that particular drip tray was also hard to come by?

I think I remember that fact coming up in that long discussion we had about drip trays. I also seem to remember that at least at the time, that particular drip tray was also hard to come by?
Stock may be an issue but donors may be an option if the 300 series frames and floors are rotting away.

When I contacted weber, the LP bottom pan was out of stock, but the NG bottom pan was still avail. The bottom pan for an LP 3xx has an extra SS heat shield. The NG bottom pan does not.

Last edited:
You know, the almost ironic thing is that if Weber made a "classic" Genesis 1000 grill I would go buy one. I never set out to be a grill restorer, I was going to buy a brand new one as mine was old and owed me nothing after 20 years. The problem was I just couldn't do it after comparing the quality of the new ones vs. the old one I had. They never mess with the design of the kettle, so why the gas grill when they sold so many of that same basic design? I just don't get it. Not being able to get replacement parts does not endear me to your brand. I feel a similar animosity towards Briggs & Stratton. I have an old Snapper lawnmower that needs a new gas tank because the old one leaks like a sieve. It's a fantastic machine that I will probably have to throw away unless I can come up with another solution as that part is no longer available.

Plastic weld might fix the tank
I've made several attempts at just that. The failure point is all along the seam and I just can't get it. I haven't given up yet, but I'm close. I also have a replacement tank on back order from eraplacementparts.com but don't really expect that to turn out. I have even found a used one on ebay, but at $100 plus shipping.

You know, the almost ironic thing is that if Weber made a "classic" Genesis 1000 grill I would go buy one.
Seriously, would you? If you could buy the parts, wouldn't you keep the old one going rather than buy a new one for $1k+? You might be overlooking the nostalgia aspect, too.

EDIT: You're prolly thinking about a new Skyline Series, so it might be worth the upgrade to you if you could buy one...

Last edited:
Seriously, would you? If you could buy the parts, wouldn't you keep the old one going rather than buy a new one for $1k+? You might be overlooking the nostalgia aspect, and besides, how would you explain it to the MIL? :giggle:
I would like to do both. I would love to buy a new one that uses the same exact parts as the old ones I have now and put it out on the patio as my every day grill to be ravaged by the horrible weather here. I would also like to be able to restore my vintage grills to brand new condition with those same parts and keep them in the house or garage as collector's items.

Seriously, would you? If you could buy the parts, wouldn't you keep the old one going rather than buy a new one for $1k+? You might be overlooking the nostalgia aspect, too.

EDIT: You're prolly thinking about a new Skyline Series, so it might be worth the upgrade to you if you could buy one...
I'm not even thinking that specific, there probably isn't a case for reintroducing a Skyline per se. However, being able to swap in new control panels, lids, or drip trays would be quite helpful in restoring a classic.

The thing about these trays is that the porcelain coating makes for a slick surface that grease more quickly runs off and into the small foil collector pan below. Stainless steel would clearly last a lot longer, but it wouldn't work quite as well for grease run-off. Foil would need to be formed to be nice and smooth and maintain enough slope. I know some people line these trays with Reynolds wrap, but it seems to me that it would be hard to keep it from becoming wrinkled and even a grease-fire trap.
I agree with everything you said, Jon...it's not an ideal situation. I'm one of those that wrap my pan with HD aluminum foil, because I am more inclined to monitor and change the foil out more often than I am to scrub out the pan. I also use drip pans with chicken and hams and other grease-producing foods, and my GrillGrates help keep the grease out of the lower end, too. But really, there is only two things that prevent grease fires - diligence and awareness.

I am afraid the unavailability of this part is going to be the #1 thing that does in future restoring of our beloved old Gennies. I wish we could get someone like Qlimetal to add this to their offerings, but I guess it is a more complex manufacturing project than making grates and flavorizer bars.
What might happen is that fewer people will flip these grills for profit because of the lack of parts or the expense of making new ones, but I think the die-hard restorer will pay the $$$ to have some made up regardless of the cost.

There was some work on this topic my Gerry Schafer. I dont know if he ever got around to fabricating a new lower drip tray. Like many, Im willing to throw down even if at a premium to have a reproduced SS tray. Thankfully the last few years I scored 4 spare ones where I will likely not have any issue with spare parts. Still with that said I am still hoping some local steel shop business with a press can remake something worthy of a replacement.

I have similar challenge right now. I have a Gold C cook box which is rather unusual but same width as the vintage original genesis’s with the 40968012 tray. What I do have is a new silver b/c tray which is not so wide and I am considering manufacturing bespoke aluminium rails to accommodate. Has anyone done similar?A3D133D8-E83F-4BF4-9F44-0026BF0BE8A1.jpeg

In the mean time, I’ll post my grill refurbishment p*rn photos from the summer of 2022-found a local bbq place selling a new Genesis 1000 grease tray online and bought the last one they had in stock

Out with the old

6A7C75F5-FBDC-427D-BD98-1BF15957ED57.jpeg

In with the new
008CB76E-9579-4C45-8EA1-63114FE97EC7.jpeg

I have similar challenge right now. I have a Gold C cook box which is rather unusual but same width as the vintage original genesis’s with the 40968012 tray. What I do have is a new silver b/c tray which is not so wide and I am considering manufacturing bespoke aluminium rails to accommodate. Has anyone done similar?View attachment 63919

I have not, but I think two rails might be needed. One between the cookbox and the silver B drip pan to make sure the grease ends up in the pan and one to support the slide out pan.

In the mean time, I’ll post my grill refurbishment p*rn photos from the summer of 2022-found a local bbq place selling a new Genesis 1000 grease tray online and bought the last one they had in stock

Out with the old

View attachment 63926

In with the new
View attachment 63925
That was a great find! There can’t be too many unused ones left anywhere.

I think some of us would still view your old one as at least useable given the shrinking availability of this important part.

That was a great find! There can’t be too many unused ones left anywhere.

I think some of us would still view your old one as at least useable given the shrinking availability of this important part.
Correct Jon- I am keeping the old one.

I am still interested in getting a quote for a fabricator to make a new one out of stainless because as you say, the supply of usable grease trays is dwindling.

It’s curious to me why those trays are more susceptible to rot than other porcelain enamel coated Weber grill parts?

Back