Weber Genesis 1000 Restore Project

Borrowed my neighbors miter saw to cut the new wood slats for the shelves. Didn't get to staining them yet. That's a tomorrow job.

Had to finish getting my snowblower ready for the winter. I may have added tailights, two spots over the bucket, and two flood LEDs on the side of the cab. I added an upgraded 10A stator to handle all of it. No streetlights in my neighborhood sadly. So it gets very dark without zombie lighting.

Attachments

• 20201123_111209.jpg
    20201123_111209.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201120_154134.jpg
    20201120_154134.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201120_154110.jpg
    20201120_154110.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 24
I hate street lights and so glad they're very sparse where I live. Though the fraidy cats in the area have these outrageously bright houselights and flood lights you would think it was a prison stalag in some places. Don't know why people just can't let night be night and day be day and enjoy them for what they are :(

I hate street lights and so glad they're very sparse where I live. Though the fraidy cats in the area have these outrageously bright houselights and flood lights you would think it was a prison stalag in some places. Don't know why people just can't let night be night and day be day and enjoy them for what they are :(

We have large spotlights on our garages and front doors for a different reason sadly. Too much light pollution as I'm right next to the city first and foremost. Unfortunately Connecticut has been having issues with stolen cars. I live in a nice new dev neighborhood on top of a hill, but it's a stones throw away from the city. One side of the hill has a convenience store newly built a few years ago that was held at gunpoint who was later caught due to multiple cameras in the area, and the other side has an older convenience store, but with bars on the doors and windows...

The other issue with the cars is self inflicted really, minors have been caught on Ring cameras looking for unlocked cars to steal stuff out of, and idiots who leave their keys in the car around here, well you get the idea. One of our neighbors was trying to get a petition with the town signed off to get streetlights but it never went anywhere. Instead we all keep our outdoor lights on till we go to bed so the neighborhood isn't so dark the whole night. Some neighbors work 3rd shift, and we have a local burrow cop and state cop living on the same street with their crown vic cruisers in plain sight. My wife and I have a fenced in back yard, and a large shed to keep everything locked up. We are both pistol permit carriers who own two GSD dogs... I pity the bastard who would mess with our house. All our neighbors are great, lots of small kids, and we all watch out for each other.

Very cool machine! I wish I had that in my garage.
Thank you!! 10 years old, needed a full refresh. Boughtbit new the night before a 38" storm hit my area...New Auger bearing, new belts, and repaint to remove the rust. Only used it once last year as the winters in CT past few years have been wimpy. We are due for a snowocalypse at some point soon.

Attachments

• 20201117_172211.jpg
    20201117_172211.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201117_155402.jpg
    20201117_155402.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201117_172543.jpg
    20201117_172543.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 6
We have large spotlights on our garages and front doors for a different reason sadly. Too much light pollution as I'm right next to the city first and foremost. Unfortunately Connecticut has been having issues with stolen cars. I live in a nice new dev neighborhood on top of a hill, but it's a stones throw away from the city. One side of the hill has a convenience store newly built a few years ago that was held at gunpoint who was later caught due to multiple cameras in the area, and the other side has an older convenience store, but with bars on the doors and windows...
Most of those crooks are not neighborhood crooks. The pro burglars are from the city and know better than to work their own neighborhood. They go to the burbs where the money is.

Most of those crooks are not neighborhood crooks. The pro burglars are from the city and know better than to work their own neighborhood. They go to the burbs where the money is.
Exactly. Its a bunch of kids, all seem to be under 16. They have been at it for a long time and have been caught, but because our juvenile system has been stripped of its teeth, and many "rehab" and detention facilities were closed down due to funding, they don't get locked away but rather its a revolving door. Tag and release... Just on the news last night, 3 kids (13,14, & 15 yr olds) caught stealing cars in New Haven, two had guns on them, and each had at least 2 or more priors on them for GTA. Sad state of affairs. There is a reason why they call it "Gun Wavin New Haven!"

I grew up on a dairy farm in a the Catskills in upstate NY. Love the stars and I could stand outside in the middle of the night and just look up and it seems as if the Milky Way was painted in the sky. So bright and full of stars. I certainly miss that.

Well the bad news is lights don't help, well I guess it helps them see better LOL. Neighbor across the street had car stolen, daughter actually saw it. I asked why she didn't say anything...................She said "well their lights were on so I figured it was them". So there's that aspect. I only put lights on if I need to see something. Otherwise all I wanna see is night sky.

Well the bad news is lights don't help, well I guess it helps them see better LOL. Neighbor across the street had car stolen, daughter actually saw it. I asked why she didn't say anything...................She said "well their lights were on so I figured it was them". So there's that aspect. I only put lights on if I need to see something. Otherwise all I wanna see is night sky.
When I was a kid I lived in the sticks too. Took 10 minutes from my childhood home before you got to main road. We had the same philosophy, no lights unless you needed it. Unless the crooks had night vision goggles, they ain't seeing ****e lol! Doors were always locked just the same!

I have to admit that growing up, we were not too good about locking doors and cars. I find that I am still that way. Most nights, my truck sits in the driveway unlocked. The back door of the garage is never locked and the door from the garage into the house is never locked either. Bad habits, I know. I is a different world than when I grew up in rural minnesota in the 60's and 70's.
Anyway, I do one thing different these days and that is having a 9mm in my night stand next to the bed.
As far as outside lighting. Truth be told, it is probably better to have it totally dark outside. The crooks benefit more from the light than anyone. If it is totally dark out, they would be forced to use a flashlight in unfamiliar terrain and that would draw a lot of attention in an area that is normally totally dark.

Yeah same here Bruce. Thankfully our area is still overall quite safe. I can't even count the number of times my Highlander sat out there unlocked,or worse yet window down simply because I forgot. And not to mention on a number of occasions with the key in it LOL. But, we have had our share of "issues" as well. About 18 or 19 years ago, family and I were all set to head out to MN and the lake house. Plan was to leave on 5th July. So I had the boat out front, ready to go. Trailer tongue was locked though. Tackle boxes in it, so in AM all I had to do was hitch it up. The evening before we had my buddy and his family over (they had moved here from England) and we were celebrating the 4th. He always kidded me about how England really didn't want us anyway and we happy to unload us "yanks". That evening we had a terrible storm. Straigtline winds in excess of 140mph. The entire region was slammed. I went out to view the damages. The boat was turned around. I faced it forward noting it felt "light". Then saw the motor and fuel tank were gone. Some filthy bastards had cut off the lock and swiped it. They also rifled around my tackle box. Likely looking for my registration. One of the best motors I ever had..............gone. A 1955 Johnson 10 horse. Used special tank. Took air pressure from the engine and that's how fuel got to it. To this day I am sure it was taken by the family around the block from us. But, never could prove it. They also cut locks off neighbors sheds and swiped yard tools, a little TV and other things

Hey all, so back at the restore project. I got all the shelf slats stained and the metal parts painted. Handle was sanded down and restained. Reassembled the top shelf but ran out of time before dinner for the folding shelf.

Happy Thanksgiving all! Touch base again after I've recovered from the poultry coma!

Attachments

• 20201125_173210.jpg
    20201125_173210.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201125_173958.jpg
    20201125_173958.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201125_195359.jpg
    20201125_195359.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201125_195408.jpg
    20201125_195408.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201125_195417.jpg
    20201125_195417.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 13
Hey all, so back at the restore project. I got all the shelf slats stained and the metal parts painted. Handle was sanded down and restained. Reassembled the top shelf but ran out of time before dinner for the folding shelf.

Happy Thanksgiving all! Touch base again after I've recovered from the poultry coma!
Looking really nice. I see the Thompsons, but what did you use for stain?

Looking really nice. I see the Thompsons, but what did you use for stain?
It's a stain and sealer in one. It's tinted a light cedar red. It's not as dark as the original, but I think it came out decent. I had it leftover from my old deck. We just had a composite rebuild done so it was useless for it. My red top I just used a clear waterproofer on those shelves.

Back