Weber Genesis 1000 Restore Project

Starting up my restore thread. Picked up this early 90s black top Genesis 1000 with red wood slats. Thank you to everyone on here who helped me grab some of the parts I needed to get this project going. I intend to have it as my 2nd grill but for meat smoking and rotisserie.

I got the cast iron crates from a Weber 900 as a parts donor, and a frame piece that was rotted away. Still need to get new stainless burners, flavor bars, igniter kit, retrofitted POV regulator and assorted hardware.

As a story starter. I have owned a redhead Genesis 1000 that inherited from my parents. I restored it about 6 years ago and still going strong. It is a work horse and has a lot of sentimental value to me.

20201021_201848.jpg
20201021_222015.jpg
20201021_222025.jpg
20200713_134930.jpg

Last edited:
I like the wide slats on the Redhead very nice!
Thank you! Yeah the grill never came with the metal rack on the bottom, but I bought all the extra 1x2" poplar board decided to make my own rack. I remember my parents paying good money for it back in 90. I know it was this year because we had just moved into my childhood home, he was blown away how it got to 550 degrees so effortlessly, cooked like an oven.

Question for all, what cover fits the Genesis 1000? My wife got the cover on my redhead as a gift years ago so didn't want to ask her. Is it a 7130 cover?

Hey, thank you for the cover recommendation, I decided to spring for the 7130 on ebay, I had a 10% coupon to use!

Just got back from a quick half hour trip. I scored a very good condition 9890 rotisserie kit! Complete with counterweight, forks and motor, minus the bracket, which thankfully I already had! Ordered up the rest of the stainless stuff, burners, bars, igniter, etc. Boy this is going to be exciting to put together!

After reading and watching Bruce's video to fix the rotted frame rail, wondering if I should rebuild that and keep as a spare? I got the tools and know how. Hmmmm

Last edited:
I think you probably have the Weber #9890 roto, not #9190. You will love it and love cooking with it. Just in time for a Thanksgiving turkey too.
You are correct! Typo on my side. Yes a very nice find indeed. My wife gave me crap initially saying I will never use it, but I know I will now. I've always enjoyed grilling, its a hobby and passion. Something of a right of passage for a man to cook on his grill ::Tim Allen Grunt:: :)

...The story goes with this whole restore build...I said to my wife, hey I want to buy a meat smoker. Being the the most beautiful amazing responsible wife, she says no we cant afford a smoker right now. Few days later she says hey there is a nice looking grill (the black genesis 1k) on the side of the road you want it? I said sure thinking I can use the parts after seeing the rot. Then a few days after that my father in law sees a red top weber 900 up the street from him, no rot at all. Says you want it and I'm like sure! At this point I know I can get one of them out of the two going for sure. I got my wife's blessing to swap parts from both grills and make a good running one, and shes like now I don't need to spend money on a new meat smoker.....

Well, with the rotisserie find, and the various parts I'm into the build about $240 bucks including spare parts for my red top genesis 1k...so about the cost of your average meat smoker. The wonderful thing about it is now I get to reap a higher reward by reviving a classic that I know is meant to last decades with the proper care. I can thank my wife for that, we will make no mention of the dollars and cents spent, she just sees me smiling and excited to rebuild a grill. She may not entirely understand WHY I'm so happy, but her intent was pure. :) Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Last edited:
Am I reading that right that you are into this project for a total of $1,000? Or a total of $240?
Sorry Abbreviated 1000 as 1K for the Genesis model. Only $240 into the rebuild parts, and all the spare parts I bought from fellow forum members like the bottom cleanout tray. This forum is super friendly and helpful!

$240 is still a lot for parts to rebuild a Genesis 1000. But what matters is if you wind up with a grill in the end that you are happy with.

Are you planning to do more?

Pretty easy to get to $240...

Rotisserie $100
Grease tray $50
Stainless fasteners $25
Amazon stainless grates and flavorizers $80

and so on

Rotisserie $100, no wonder the price of the upgrade. Not usually what someone would invest in, but well worth it just the same.

I'm going to say the grease tray is a significant part of the $240. It's a seller's market when the part is no longer available.

You are correct. I scored two grease trays, one practically new. The other one used but restorative without any rot.

AM Stainless flavor bars and burners: $55
Thermometer: $11
Igniter Kit: 14
Caster wheels (2): $16
Grease Pan: $9 (this one no rot but needs rehab)
Grease Tray Holder: $12
Weber Cover: $36
Warming Rack: $23
Slide shelf parts: $15
Stainless hardware: ~$10

Extra Stuff:
Practically New Spare grease pan: $15 (MEGA SCORE!)
Rotisserie Kit: $25 (SCORE!!!!)

I still need to buy some 1x2" wood for the shelves/handle/rack, and high heat spray paint.

So be looking about just under $210ish for this rebuild when all is said and done not including extra parts like the tray and rotisserie, that was an extra score :)

Keep everyone posted on the next update. I'll be powerwashing it this weekend then painting.

Back