Weber Genesis 1000 Resto Mod

I must agree, that wood is gorgeous!
Where did you get the wood and was it already the correct thickness?
What made you decide on Ready Seal where did you get it and what's the smallest size container?

Thanks for sharing.

I must agree, that wood is gorgeous!
Where did you get the wood and was it already the correct thickness?
What made you decide on Ready Seal where did you get it and what's the smallest size container?

Thanks for sharing.
I got the 1x2 cedar from Lowe’s in 8ft lengths. It has a smooth and a rough side and is a bit thicker than the original slats so I ripped the rough side off with my table saw. The wood is still slightly thicker than original. I got the Ready Seal from Home Depot a couple years ago when I stained my cedar fence and used it because I had it on hand and it’s worked extremely well. I live in Seattle and my fence still looks new after a couple winters.

So I worked on the original propane mount/gauge today. Mine was in pretty bad shape and I wanted to completely disassemble it. I drilled out the four rivets holding it together. I realized that the two shorter rivets couldn’t be replaced with regular hardware so I got creative and repurposed the original handle bolts. They have nice short heads on them and are the perfect length. I tapped the holes on the side of housing and was in business. After some time on the wire wheel it was painted up and reassembled. Turned out not to shabby.

1CA727E6-93AD-430B-B533-C865A6430D85.jpeg0BD1F9BA-C655-491C-8AB2-26A2A334B0AD.jpeg2AF1C849-B34F-4C83-BB2E-48959089F295.jpegD02F9D01-971C-4FF4-8246-6E5DE013C4B6.jpeg2D4B35FC-A81A-487A-BF8B-A031096C6C51.jpegD8601F5B-C340-4E38-A41B-DB0C408C4CF8.jpegF1E5EB30-34F4-4EFB-BDD0-256A3C936D34.jpeg7975DC40-C1A7-4EDF-94BF-099D7F216514.jpeg0AB3A56A-8C4C-42B4-856D-B209A0FB96C9.jpeg

I got the 1x2 cedar from Lowe’s in 8ft lengths. It has a smooth and a rough side and is a bit thicker than the original slats so I ripped the rough side off with my table saw.

do you recall the price you paid for the cedar? Looks very nice so far.

Wow, to say that tank scale is "not too shabby" is the understatement of the week here! Beautiful job. I have never had the nerve to try and disassemble one. That makes all the difference. It looks new as Bruce said and probably works as well as a new as well. Awesome job (y) .

Your woodwork is also stunning. Look forward to seeing it all come together.

Wow, to say that tank scale is "not too shabby" is the understatement of the week here! Beautiful job. I have never had the nerve to try and disassemble one. That makes all the difference. It looks new as Bruce said and probably works as well as a new as well. Awesome job (y) .

Your woodwork is also stunning. Look forward to seeing it all come together.
Thanks Jon. I think you may be the one that inspired me to put some solid effort into the wooden slats. I have my second coat of spar urethane drying now because of one of your builds I saw.

Amazing work Branden!

Found this thread while looking for replacement slats. I will definitely do the 1x2 cedar.

In my case, it won't be replacing slats. but a rusted out lower metal shelf.

Should I use the same stuff for the cross bars or maybe go a little heavier, maybe 1x3?

Back