Weber Genesis 1000 Readhead from Long Island

Dan Mulls

TVWBB Member
This story started with a search for a cart frame to rebuild a blacktop Genesis 1000 that was given to me recently. I posted a want-to-buy Craigslist ad looking for cheap or free parts off of forgotten about Webers. I unexpectedly received emails from two awesome Weber lovers within hours of the listing.

The first reply was a local guy who restores Weber grills and basically has a bone-yard full of parts that he offered me the chance to pick through. We did not discuss pricing yet, but I have a good idea from his emails that he will give me a fair deal on anything I need out of his extensive inventory.

The second guy just upgraded to a new Weber Summit grill and wanted to unload his 7-8 year old (so he says) redhead Weber Genesis 1000 that was taking up room, so he asked me to make an offer. I replied that I was not looking for a complete grill because I only needed the frame and my budget was only $20-$30. I did not expect his reply, "Ok I will take the $30 for the whole grill". I was speechless.

We agreed to meet up tonight and everything went beyond well. He threw in a couple new Weber brand items that he never got to install before buying the newer grill. These parts I initially was not aware of included a new manifold ($120), stainless burner tubes kit ($55), spider guards ($3), stainless hardware set, "newer version QCC1" regulator ($30), ignitor ($14) and some official Weber drip pans ($6). I disassembled the grill down to fit into my car and was out of there like I stole something!!!! :cool:

Here she is all dusty but rust free, I will take daytime pictures asap.

20130219_180743.jpg

20130219_180802.jpg

20130219_180810.jpg

20130219_180836.jpg

**Update** My questions thread / Blacktop Genesis 1000
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39037-Q-s-on-Genesis-1000-rebuild-for-newbie-rebuilder

Last edited:
Sooo you're still looking for a frame..... lol Great score!

You are right. I have to meet up with the first guy to buy a frame for the blacktop, I might give it to my mom as a gift because she is digging the redhead big time. She doesn't even know what Weber signifies really but who cares she can learn.

Ok quick questions for all the veterans...

Why is there so much white powder all over the firebox both inside and out? It looks like this thing was sprayed with a fire extinguisher. After really looking at the inside of the grill today, there are large amounts of white residue on the outer/inner firebox, grates, ignitor, flavor bars and burners. But the inner lid and end caps show no signs of it. Also the grates are almost porcelain shells of what once was porcelain covered cast iron. There is no iron underneath the coating and the flavor bars disintegrated when I removed them.

How could the exterior be so "new" and show no signs of aging other than the wood being soaked and the interior is shot to death? Doesn't fire extinguisher dust deteriorate metals if it isn't cleaned up appropriately? I wiped off some powder from the firebox and there was matte black paint under it. What is going on here Batman?

Odds are the person fell victim to a grease funnel fire, panicked and hit it with a fire extinguisher. It happened to me when my red head was brand new and I didn't know the one point you HAVE to do with a Weber (clean the grease system often). BTW look for my posts about a mod that REALLY helps on this here is a link to the other forum also http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=9584 trust me you WILL like this mod it WORKS. So get yourself some stainless steel FB's and grates a guy on ebay makes some really nice ones called RCPlanebuyer look for him. He hand makes them out of 3/8" stainless rod, and he makes the FB's out of VERY heavy gauge 304 SS. He has an excellent reputation BTW and many from "the source" forums have bought from him and are very pleased.Also if you do the mod I outlined cleaning the grease trap system is a much less often chore plus it becomes more efficient on gas use. Two good things
LM

I was not comfortable cooking with all the powder/residue on everything so I put the blacktop lid/firebox on the redheads frame to get cooking tonight. I will tear it all down, paint and reassemble it all when I can use the outside water spigot again. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Hi Dan: My grill fireboxes tend to "oxidize" over time, I scrub them down with my grill brush. I haven't ever had white on the inside, on the burner tubes or other interior parts, so I'm leanin' toward LM's answer. The grates are porcelain/steel, not deteriorated cast iron; swap out the CI grates from the 1st grill. Re: the outside looking so good and the inside not. The inside is where all the work is done. If Weber insides lasted as long as the out - now that would be the PERFECT grill. It's a fact of life: you'll need to replace worn parts from time to time. You have new burner tubes, get new flavorizer bars (swap them out from the first grill, too?), clean her up and get grilling.

Hi Dan: My grill fireboxes tend to "oxidize" over time, I scrub them down with my grill brush. I haven't ever had white on the inside, on the burner tubes or other interior parts, so I'm leanin' toward LM's answer. The grates are porcelain/steel, not deteriorated cast iron; swap out the CI grates from the 1st grill. Re: the outside looking so good and the inside not. The inside is where all the work is done. If Weber insides lasted as long as the out - now that would be the PERFECT grill. It's a fact of life: you'll need to replace worn parts from time to time. You have new burner tubes, get new flavorizer bars (swap them out from the first grill, too?), clean her up and get grilling.

Since I ate off of the blacktop (1st grill) at my boss's house recently, I knew everything inside the firebox was in working order and safe to eat from. So I stripped the redhead down to its frame and wheels, then with a 3M green pad I scrubbed the frame down with soap & warm water. I wire brushed off any loose crud inside/out of the firebox. I leak checked all the burners, fittings and hose without issue. So I was basically up and running within an hour of my first wrench turn to when I was cooking off the cast iron grates. My temporary build results:

20130224_183435.jpg

20130224_170911.jpg

Thank you for the advice, I will mess with the redheads firebox when I can hose it out. I live in a 3rd story apartment and have no outside water access until spring. I have to run an extension cord from my window to have any outside electric too, can't wait to hear the neighbors comments on me using my rotisserie this afternoon. :)

Last edited:
Never saw S&P done like that

Me too, this was an experiment with both the rotisserie and my new "Taylor Connoisseur Digital Folding Probe Thermometer". I read conflicting information on rotisserie steak cooking times, so after settling on one source I was already in the medium to medium/well time frame. The bigger pieces were medium and the smaller pieces the later. All delicious though because I used good seasons and let the steaks rest both before and after cooking.

Here is a reading of the thickest steak:

82c2ff45-6925-49f0-8fb0-06725be05ae7.jpg

Last edited:

Back