Weber charcoal heat controller, the Weber Vortex?

I’ve got my “304 SS Owens Barbecue Official Vortex“ I’ve used it for three years, at least with No sign of weldment failure, pitting, heat failure, aside from simple dirt from use, it’s as solid as the day it arrived.
Anyway, there is something about the item linked above that seems kind of odd to me.
No, I’m not affiliated with Marty’s company aside from being a very satisfied customer. I need to get the small one for my 18” kettle, the medium is perfect for the 22”. Just sayin’

I just received the new Charcoal Heat Controller from Weber today. It consists of a vortex and 4 “plates” which, when assembled, make up the heat diffuser. I received 10% off and FREE Overnite shipping via FedEx. The vortex seems to be a little thinner than the original Vortex but will do nicely for my level of grilling.

10886265-AB55-4302-920D-482AD48AAA61.jpeg
E8E9E970-A059-41CA-B91E-E0B63F764A96.jpeg

I’ve got my “304 SS Owens Barbecue Official Vortex“ I’ve used it for three years, at least with No sign of weldment failure, pitting, heat failure, aside from simple dirt from use, it’s as solid as the day it arrived.
Anyway, there is something about the item linked above that seems kind of odd to me.
No, I’m not affiliated with Marty’s company aside from being a very satisfied customer. I need to get the small one for my 18” kettle, the medium is perfect for the 22”. Just sayin’
I have a vortex for my performer but want one for my Jumbo Joe 18" A couple of years ago I had that setup and sold it...Big Mistake! I have another cart I'm building and now have two JJs, go figure. I picked up another SS small dog dish at Walmart and will be making another vortex with the dog bowl, just cut open the bottom and bingo a stainless seamless vortex the last one was four years old when I sold it and was still in great shape. Total price $2.00.
With just two of use the JJ is a lot easier to work with.

I just received the new Charcoal Heat Controller from Weber today. It consists of a vortex and 4 “plates” which, when assembled, make up the heat diffuser. I received 10% off and FREE Overnite shipping via FedEx. The vortex seems to be a little thinner than the original Vortex but will do nicely for my level of grilling.

View attachment 67731
View attachment 67732
How much clearance is there between the grate & the diffuser?

Back