Weber briquettes

Ken Barth

TVWBB Super Fan
I just recently got my hands on 10 bags of Weber briquettes. My standby for the past few years has been KBB and that is all I'm used to. I decided to try with Weber briquettes when smoking short ribs in my WSM this past weekend. What a difference! No nasty odor when they light up, much less ash, and maybe more importantly, they seemed to burn slower because I burned WAY less briquettes for this 9+ hour cook than I have ever done for a similar cook with KBB. I think I may try to go get some more before stock is completely gone.

So how in the world are we gonna figure out who is making it for them and if there is an identical substitute?

I have managed to find quite a few bags here in Canada - haven't bought them yet, but have located stores that have them. Debating when and how many to buy... they aren't as cheap as Kingsford or Royal Oak Ridge, but it may be worth it. How long would they stay good to use? I am assuming in a bin or off the floor in the garage would be fine? I am thinking 10 bags.

I have managed to find quite a few bags here in Canada - haven't bought them yet, but have located stores that have them. Debating when and how many to buy... they aren't as cheap as Kingsford or Royal Oak Ridge, but it may be worth it. How long would they stay good to use? I am assuming in a bin or off the floor in the garage would be fine? I am thinking 10 bags.
buy them and ship them to me. I have about 40 bags left... how long do they keep? I'm certain as much as i use charcoal, i ain't gunna even think about it. ive had bags of kingsford for over 3 years, still good as long as it don't get wet

507pm19Oct2020.jpg

Last edited:
lotsa luck.
word is: weber stopped making it.
I have moved from the denial phase to the anger phase of this grief process. My local BBQ shop sales Royal Oak Chefs Select. When I emailed Weber about them discontinuing their briquettes, part of their response was to try royal oak, that they make great products. I have 80 lbs of Weber and 80 lbs of RO Chefs Select in the shed. They look every similar, smell every similar, but Weber cooks so much hotter for soooooo much longer I don't get it.

I am not really into the coal burning side of grilling, but I seem to remember several posts claiming or alleging that Royal Oak was the outfit that made the briquettes for Weber. Probably not the same as their own product, but made for Weber according to specs that Weber provided. It sure seems that the Weber coal gets a lot of good reviews by coal guys and not sure why they would discontinue it, but I would think that Royal Oak could continue making it under their own name....of course, Weber probably has some kind of rights to the recipe they would have to make a deal on.

I am not really into the coal burning side of grilling, but I seem to remember several posts claiming or alleging that Royal Oak was the outfit that made the briquettes for Weber. Probably not the same as their own product, but made for Weber according to specs that Weber provided. It sure seems that the Weber coal gets a lot of good reviews by coal guys and not sure why they would discontinue it, but I would think that Royal Oak could continue making it under their own name....of course, Weber probably has some kind of rights to the recipe they would have to make a deal on.

Lump works well for grilling, high heat, frequent attention, short duration cooking

Briquettes....burn evenly and predictably, nest densely in basket.....good attributes for long cooks used with big cuts of meats in smoking.

Unfortunately......pellet poopers are dominating home smoking now , and everyone grilling wants lump.
Leaving shrinking market of briquettes. One reason i think its bad weber is dropping out......they need a decent fuel for wsm...and the options seem to be drying up.

Weber was awesome, premium clean product that performed great. But at $20/bag......overpriced by about $7 for most buyers....imo. B&B oak fits bill well, just smaller. Official charcoal of the Steak Cookoff Association.....for whatever thats worth. Not ez to find......walmart and home depot and lowes and ace, etc provide a huge chunk of charcoal sales.....none carry it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-102546.png
    Screenshot_20201023-102546.png
    254.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
For me, the thing I liked about Weber was the long burn. I bought a bag of B&B but as a replacement for the hard to find Kingsford Professional. I use that in my CharQ which needs HOT buring charcoal. Weber briquettes didn't do well in the CharQ but were my favorite for low and slow on a kettle. So, those of you who have experience with B&B Oak: Where does it fit on the fast heat, high burn (like Kingsford Prof.) vs. not as fast and hot but longer lasting (like Weber, at least IMO).

I dont notice any difference between wsm uses.

With kbb...bottom half of chimney was 1/2 gone by time top started ashing, coals significantly gone by time to dump, (level drops several inches) and reeks and gives off dense white smoke when lighting in chimney. Didnt last long grilling...lots of b&b left when used to grill..... So it definitely Burns slower. It definitely doesn't stink either.

Wife used one of my remaining bags of Weber to grill steak while I was out of town last week....i was kind of POd. 6 bags of b&b were sitting there easier to get to.

Back