Weber 63050 wheels discontinued, now what?

I am impressed with the Cerakote results, and if your wheels are not so far gone that this works, I am in agreement with going that route. However, some wheels are REALLY bad and while you might make them look OK for a while with a coating, I suspect the dull, dry finish will return in time. I guess you could keep reapplying. I have painted some wheels black and even sanded and painted intact inserts white. I got this idea from @Brian B Atlanta who says his have held up for years.

These inserts are original and were carefully sanded and painted white; the wheels were repainted satin black:

Wheels AFTER.jpeg

Some kettle 6" wheels I felt way beyond any hope:
Restored Kettle Wheels - BEFORE.jpeg
Redone with paint and Chucks Inserts:
Restored Kettle Wheels - Chucks Inserts.jpeg

As for the axle, I just put the old one in my drill and wrap sandpaper around it and go until it's nice and shiny again. Then I spray paint it with clear coat to keep it shiny.
Exactly what I did years ago worked great but you have to use the clear coat right after sanding. If I remember I had left the axle in the basement a few days without the clear coat and it started rusting pretty quickly no problem just lightly resanded and sprayed right away no issues.

What does a set of the inserts go for? I was considering making the rod for the tables out of stainless...
Chuck's inserts were $24.00 + $7.00 shipping.
Since this is my grill, and not something I am reselling I went with a new stainless axle and swing table rod. Local metal yard sells by the foot, and $6.00 for both pieces.

Here is a picture of the stainless axle and hinge rod before I spun in the drill with 400 sandpapers to polish.
All these freshly powder-coated parts were just begging to get assembled.

frame.jpg

I am impressed with the Cerakote results, and if your wheels are not so far gone that this works, I am in agreement with going that route. However, some wheels are REALLY bad and while you might make them look OK for a while with a coating, I suspect the dull, dry finish will return in time. I guess you could keep reapplying. I have painted some wheels black and even sanded and painted intact inserts white. I got this idea from @Brian B Atlanta who says his have held up for years.

These inserts are original and were carefully sanded and painted white; the wheels were repainted satin black:

View attachment 93207

Some kettle 6" wheels I felt way beyond any hope:
View attachment 93208
Redone with paint and Chucks Inserts:
View attachment 93209
How well does the paint hold up on the tire tread if you roll around?
I considered painting but was worried about rolling around and tread scuffing off to pressure wash my concrete.

Wanted to see what Cerakote ceramic trim would do with all the plastic parts. One wipe did all the plastic parts for about $2.00 and was a 5 minute job. Only time will tell how long it keeps looking good.

The black paint hides more of the plastic imperfections making it more uniform in the spoke area. Nice.

In my opinion they make for a better wheel then the OEM plastic. For they are more robust and semi rubber like.
This only my personal opinion I have not had them on my grill for that long. I am still testing their durabliity.

@Samuel Black Silver C pic 7.jpg

In my opinion they make for a better wheel then the OEM plastic. For they are more robust and semi rubber like.
This only my personal opinion I have not had them on my grill for that long. I am still testing their durabliity.

View attachment 94829
I'm sure durability is fine, they don't get rolled on that much. The only reason why I might not go with those is because they don't look original and that may just be me. I still think it's cool though.

I'm sure durability is fine, they don't get rolled on that much. The only reason why I might not go with those is because they don't look original and that may just be me. I still think it's cool though.
But I thought you didn't like the look of the period-correct daisy whitewalls?

1719955594016.png

edit: found a better picture.

Back