Weber 26" vs 22" WSM

TravisGrimm

TVWBB Member
I currently have a 26" weber kettle. I grill and smoke on it. I have the vortex and the SNS and love them. I had a pellet grill but once I found charcoal I sold the pellet grill and have never looked back. Now question. Ive been looking at the 22" WSM for longer cooks like pork butt and briskets. Just trying to get opinions on if users of both would think it's worth having both?

The hardest part is deciding on the 18 or 22. In the summer we entertain on the weekends. 10 -15 people max. So I've read alot about the different sizes and it seems an 18" would probably work. But the extra space would be nice if needed

The hardest part is deciding on the 18 or 22. In the summer we entertain on the weekends. 10 -15 people max. So I've read alot about the different sizes and it seems an 18" would probably work. But the extra space would be nice if needed
You might also include the different meats you cook for them. If you do a lot of ribs the 22 has the advantage but using rib racks you can increase the 18s capacity. You can shoehorn a packer Brisket and lots of pork butts on the 18. I had both before I got my Smokefire, cooked for 20, almost monthly, and preferred the 18.

Yes, if you have the space, having the two is the prefect combo! I concur with others, if you have a place that you can look at both the 18 and the 22 WSM do so. The 22 is big!!! Now I know you have the 26 kettle, but I absolutely believe the size difference between the two WSMs is more striking then the 22 in and 26 in kettles. When you decide the right size, there will be a small learning curve from the kettle to the WSM, but then you will love having both and find so many ways to use both and have options for different cooks.

Is it worth having both? Absolutely!!! Now the question is what size? Like Michael said, "The 22 is big!!!" The 18 wsm will feed 10-15 people easily and do smaller cooks more efficiently.

Well I bought the 22" off of Amazon. Figured the buy once cry once was the way to go! I bought the 22" kettle then returned it and ordered the 26" kettle. Didn't want to go through that hassle again. As far a temps go I've read anywhere from 225-350. Not to be redundant as I'm sure there's topics on this question but does anyone have any experience with running it around 300? I like to do my chicken thighs and quarters 275-300

anyone have any experience with running it around 300? I like to do my chicken thighs and quarters 275-300
Yeah, by messing with the amount of charcoal lit, what do you do with the water bowl, and your vent set up, you will be able to go easily between 225 and 350+. To get to 275-300 in my little 14 WSM I start with vents wide open, waterless water pan, and a just a touch larger than standard minion method.

If you haven't spend time on this site's Home Page, I highly recommend it. Chris is amazing and has put together so much information in the same spot!

Thank you! I just stumbled upon this yesterday. I've always used Smokingmeatforums.com. but was looking around yesterday and found this. Seems like an awesome site with a lot of great info on the kettle and WSM

Well I bought the 22" off of Amazon. Figured the buy once cry once was the way to go! I bought the 22" kettle then returned it and ordered the 26" kettle. Didn't want to go through that hassle again. As far a temps go I've read anywhere from 225-350. Not to be redundant as I'm sure there's topics on this question but does anyone have any experience with running it around 300? I like to do my chicken thighs and quarters 275-300
Good call on getting the WSM 22.5. I have one and it is by far away my favorite cooker. I think you will get a ton of use out of it. Welcome to the group.

You'll not regret buying the 22. It is bigger and requires more fuel, but the extra capacity comes in handy. High temps are no problem, I regularly do Chris's Hot and Fast Chicken at about 325 degrees on mine. And holding temp at 225-260 for pork and brisket is pretty manageable once you get the hang of it.

If you own a probe thermometer, you may want to use it to keep the WSM built in thermometer honest. Some of them are good at first and get lazy, and some are born shiftless. (But enough about my inlaws.)

I currently have a 26" weber kettle. I grill and smoke on it. I have the vortex and the SNS and love them. I had a pellet grill but once I found charcoal I sold the pellet grill and have never looked back. Now question. Ive been looking at the 22" WSM for longer cooks like pork butt and briskets. Just trying to get opinions on if users of both would think it's worth having both?
You won't regret getting the 22" WSM. I wish it was available when I bought my 18" WSM. I have a 26" kettle and it's a work horse for 2 zone grilling , wings using a vortex and I'll use the snake method for smoking smaller cuts of meats doing shorter cooks. When I'm smoking pork butts and briskets, I'm usually using my UDS which has similar capacity to the 22" WSM.

It was delivered yesterday. Unfortunately I had alot going on so didn't really get to do much with it. I did put it together and lit 12 briquettes and just put the rest of a bag I had left in the smoker. It ran for a couple of hours around 250°. I was impressed. That was grate temp with the inkbird 4 probe wifi thermometer. I had to shape the door a little bit but other than that I was happy with it.

I was sort of in the same boat, except I received a 18.5 WSM and wanted a charcoal grill. I opted for the E6 summit myself but the kettles sure are a nice option as well. Both work great as a team,

I prefer to have separate grill and smoker, Ive smoked many things on a weber 22" kettle though....back when I would only do one rack of ribs, now I do 6 at a time on the 18 wsm and vacuum seal the left overs . I think I might get a 22 wsm for brisket, Ive done 10 or so on the 18 but it would be nice to not have to cram them in there .

Hello! I am relatively new here - in fact just smoked my first brisket on my WSM 18 over the weekend. I smoked it "hot and fast" starting at 225 and climbing throughout the cook to 325 after wrapping. The key to the higher temps, in my opinion, is all about the fuel you use. I am a firm believer in B & B Charcoal In my other smokes with Kingsford Blue 275 with a full water pan was hard to achieve and although the charcoal lasted for 6-8 hours it burned completely. With B & B (lump at that) charcoal I was having to adjust vents to keep the temps down (again with a full water pan) and after 6 hours nearly 1/2 of the charcoal ring is still full. I have made one modification to the WSM. Using expanded steel I made a home made ring and charcoal grate. The ring is roughly the same dimensions of the arborfab charcoal ring aftermarket modification.

You're going to love your new toy...err smoker ;) Keep testing and you'll figure out what works best for you!

You’re going to be glad you chose the 22. I’ve had an 18 for 11 years and bought a 22 two weeks ago. I bought it for the convenience of cooking multiple ribs and/or butts and chuck short ribs.

Back