Weber 1200 NG to LPG

Orange flame is indicative of incomplete combustion and can be due to many different reasons. Be sure all burners are clean inside and out. All ports clear and open. Be sure the spider guards are not clogged with dust. Be sure the regulator is functioning correctly. Your final NOT FIRST thing should be looking at the air shutters. Is the rear one closed more than the others? If so match the others, if not and the rear is still full orange you have more work to do. Perhaps new burners. There may be scale built up internally you cannot get out. Also beware the totally blue flame is a VERY elusive thing to get. Unless things are dead still, no excess or lack of humidity, nothing near by the burner that can off gas and change the flame colors. Have fun

Orange flame is indicative of incomplete combustion and can be due to many different reasons. Be sure all burners are clean inside and out. All ports clear and open. Be sure the spider guards are not clogged with dust. Be sure the regulator is functioning correctly. Your final NOT FIRST thing should be looking at the air shutters. Is the rear one closed more than the others? If so match the others, if not and the rear is still full orange you have more work to do. Perhaps new burners. There may be scale built up internally you cannot get out. Also beware the totally blue flame is a VERY elusive thing to get. Unless things are dead still, no excess or lack of humidity, nothing near by the burner that can off gas and change the flame colors. Have fun

the rear bolt that attaches to the manifold is quite rusted. Maybe it’s not tight enough? Advice on removing this bolt?

It should be. Does the manifold mounting bolts use wing nuts or hex nuts. Either way, you should be able to cinch them up tight.

Maybe capping the bars isn’t such a good idea! Photo below - no idea what that is...

Removed the right-side folding table. Will use bars to replace damaged therma wood.

I tightened the wingnut with pliers (PITA) and brushed the burner and checked for spiders. Still burning orange. The other two are very blue. I can try swapping it out with a burner from the NG q. It’s a mystery.

second photo from last night (before I tightened, but ideal lighting conditions)

MT

Attachments

• 89BFF146-6DB9-4611-B6CA-B99CE8241C62.jpeg
    89BFF146-6DB9-4611-B6CA-B99CE8241C62.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 19
  • A1596AC9-83A9-4EA9-A524-8946B9FB6F25.jpeg
    A1596AC9-83A9-4EA9-A524-8946B9FB6F25.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 19
Neither the middle or back burner is running correctly. The middle one looks to be running too "lean" the back slightly "rich". Honestly I would try new burners first

I can try the set from the other bbq I thought burners lasted basically forever!

If that doesn’t work, I found oem on grillparts.ca for $80 shipped. Is there another source you recommend? I’ve seen (In other threads) folks ask for discounts from Weber Directly.

Is it possible it’s the manifold or another part that’s the issue?

Yes the OnlyFire will work fine. Burners don't last forever. You can extend the life with good cleaning, but you have to invest in tools to do it with

Wow. Searched through and seems like this brand will be fine. Also cheaper ignitors to replace the silver b.

edit: saw your post Larry thank you. I thought the burners just needed to be scrubbed with a bbq brush up and down. That’s what they show in Weber’s videos.

The serial number on my silver b has washed off! Trying to figure out which igniter to buy.

it is the same style head as the platinum (1000-5500 style) but with a solid handle. Is this pre or post 2002?

Update. The regulator leaks! I grabbed a silver b regulator (which isn’t quite long enough) and it still leaks! Photo of the culprit. Anything I can do or am I out of luck here?

Edit: got it off.

Attachments

• 72CA0480-EC67-4806-A5AA-D156AB78801E.jpeg
    72CA0480-EC67-4806-A5AA-D156AB78801E.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
You have 2 options 1 you can remove the elbow and connect the hose directly to the manifold. 2 you can buy a new elbow and just replace the broken one

When I got home, I noticed the NG manifold had a propane elbow that was capped. So I took the elbow and used the cap to close the hole. Then reused the elbow. Assume last owner overtightened the elbow and cracked it. Pretty annoyed that the guy in a $3-4 million house sold me a bbq that you could smell leaking propane.

My neighbour who is a mechanic came by and asked how to clean the jet. He thinks that’s the issue, not the burner tube. I found this video - but not sure that will help. thoughts?

Back