We Ain't Got No Steaks!!!

Local grocery ads, starting Wednesday, show whole pork butts from $1.39/lb to $1.59/lb, whole or cut into steaks. Usually on sale during summer holidays for a low of $0.99/lb.
Ground beef in a few of the ads also.

Barb picked up at Safeway where she works a really nice three pound London broil for $3.47 Lb. lots of chicken available.

Last edited:
Went to my costco today because the wife wanted a steak and I was hoping for ribeye cap. Silly me. They had some ground beef, a few choice tenderloins and chuck steaks. Very slim pickings right now. I also got to see a woman scream at another because she touched a package of meat in the case with her hands. Wow.

So I see many folks posting they go to a regular old grocery store and find lots of meat (beef) and plenty of pork and chicken. Yet many reporting Costco not showing good supply. Wonder what's wrong with Costco?

So I see many folks posting they go to a regular old grocery store and find lots of meat (beef) and plenty of pork and chicken. Yet many reporting Costco not showing good supply. Wonder what's wrong with Costco?

I'm probably going to both today. I'll report back.

There are a lot of us who buy meat in bulk at Costco preferentially simply because it's economical. I don't really want to think about what my local grocery store would charge for the same about of filets mignon that I got out of the whole beef tenderloin. The local store a couple of years ago did offer some half tenderloins, and flat-out, they were just not as good.

Back from my weekly adventure. Again, Costco was relatively quiet and the meat department was well stocked. The gentleman walking in ahead of me was politely reminded he needed a mask to enter the store, after which he pulled one out of his pocket and put it on. Aside from that little slow-down, no wait to get in the store. Noted as missing: Brisket, and Prime NY Strip. Plenty of everything else though. I got a pack of Choice Filets and a large pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. BSBs were $2.89/lb. I usually buy them at Wegman's for $1.99/lb, but grabbed the Costco ones since I wasn't sure if Wegman's would have them. Also missing: paper towels. I did see a few people in the store with some in their carts, so I must've just gotten there a little late. No wait getting to the head of the line, and subsequently to the self checkout - someone was just leaving as I walked up.

Next, on to Wegman's for the regular weekly shopping. Meat department was again well stocked. Again, they had full Angus packers at $5.99/lb. Plenty of everything else, including the $1.99 BSBs. I noted a very good supply of baby backs and spares. Spares were $4.59/lb, which is up from what I think is normally $3.49 there. Baby backs were $3.79 - I think that's the usual price there. Everything else in the store was available and in stock from milk to produce to chips. Except for paper towels that is.

In short, pretty easy trips today. Crowd size was very manageable. Meat was in good supply, albeit a little more expensive than normal for some things. Paper towels are gold, pure gold, and are as easy to find as leprechauns.

I think hording works better and is usually cheaper buying in bulk. When the warehouse stores run out then people with warehouse membership migrate to supermarkets and smaller stores to panic buy. Along with everyone that didn't have access to members only stores.

This whole thing is ridiculous, and I'm tired of it.

My wife stopped by Sam's and prime brisket was 5.98 a pound. OUCH! I guess we're lucky it's still available at all. 80/20 was 4.78 a pound. I've got a couple of briskets in the freezer which is probably all I'll cook this summer. I'll probably do one for my birthday and one for father's day.

Well I went to Costco today and was able to score a Prime Strip Loin. $10.49lb so $137. I have people coming on Thursday and I will be needing to cook a few steaks so I figured I can replenish my freezer from this new strip loin. Not a lot of beef available but pork out the wazoo. Sadly I cannot use much pork as wife has an allergy to an enzyme in piggy and it makes her ill. So beef, lamb and chicken. Though I have put some veal on the table when I can find it

For the first time in a long time, Harris Teeter did not have butts for 99 cents a lb. for Memorial Day. The bone in butts they did have were not cryovaced which I haven’t seen at HT before.
Fortunately, I bought some butts a month ago and will be pulling them out of the freezer this afternoon.

Had to run back to Wegman's today, as I forgot a couple things yesterday. Wanted to confirm something I saw online but was sure it had to be a mistake. It wasn't. Chuck roast was $8.56/lb!! :oops::oops: On the bright side, they had a lot of Angus Tri Tips. Sadly, those were $14.29/lb!! :oops::oops:

1590006617701.jpeg

Had to run back to Wegman's today, as I forgot a couple things yesterday. Wanted to confirm something I saw online but was sure it had to be a mistake. It wasn't. Chuck roast was $8.56/lb!! :oops::oops: On the bright side, they had a lot of Angus Tri Tips. Sadly, those were $14.29/lb!! :oops::oops:

View attachment 5255
That's just nuts. Last week we picked up a nice chuck roast at Safeway for $2.99 Lb. and two London broils for I think it was $3.46 lb.

For the first time in a long time, Harris Teeter did not have butts for 99 cents a lb. for Memorial Day. The bone in butts they did have were not cryovaced which I haven’t seen at HT before.
Fortunately, I bought some butts a month ago and will be pulling them out of the freezer this afternoon.
Harris Teeter came through with a 4 day sale of Boston butts in cryovac for $1.29 a pound. There was a limit of 2 so I picked up a pair this morning.

Back