Water Pan liner

Kirby

I can't find a liner to work with my 22.5" WSM. I've tried seeming the 18" rolls of foil, but always get some mess.

If I can find a manufacturer to make a 24" roll of foil, is that something people would buy? It wouldn't be super cheap, but I'd pay $1.50 for a sheet of foil that would just fit.

The cost would be way too much for me to just order for myself as I'd have to order massive quantities to get a reasonable price.

I'm also working on a business plan for a college class I'm taking, so this might be my topic!

Let me know what you all think.

I believe Reynolds makes 24" wide heavy duty foil. Check some on line kitchen supply places like food service direct etc.

If not cooking HH, try the NO-foil method:

Spray some Pam in the pan. Keep some water in it while cooking to prevent any cooking residue from smoking. Post cook let pan cool enough so you won't burn yourself. Next pour the contents into a bag-lined container containing ash from your LAST cook. Wipe out your water pan with a few paper towels. You're done, since the pan doesn't need to stay cleaner than any other part of the cooker.

Great info guys! Thanks a bunch. Dave, those are definitely ways to make things easier than how I'd been doing it. I never thought of keeping my old ashes!

I'm not willing to drop the $150 for the reynold's (after shipping). Just because I'm lazy, I may keep looking for another source of 24" foil that's a little cheaper. Until then, I guess I'll try Dave's foil free method!

Thanks again, guys!

I don't see 24 inch foil covering a water pan for a 22.5

The pan is about (what) 20 inches? So when you push the foil down it would still be short.
I personally would be more then happy to purchase pre made, form fitting foil pans.Like 12 to 20 a year.

i've been using 18" wide HeavyDuty Reynolds for ages... cut two sheets as long as required then FOLD the two pieces together to form the width you need.
Once folded, use a strong tape (not DUCT tape, PLEASE) to seal that fold and you should be ready to cover your 22" water pan.

I've done this numerous times without failure OR leakage.

hmmmm... Brian, I'm still looking. If I find something, I'll post back.

Jim, using some sort of tape is a good idea, but the only thing I can think of to hold up to heat is the foil tape I use to seal up furnace duct work. Is that what you're using?

Brian, The top of the pan is actually only 19". I measured the pan with a cloth tape and after pushing it down into the pan it came out to be right at 24". I would prefer to have a piece cut to 25" to leave some wiggle room, but I think 24" will just barely work.

I may prototype it with a piece of 24 x 24 paper to see how well if presses into the pan.

Kirby,

You could do as I do and not use the water pan at all. I know some don't agree but I've been using heavy duty foil baking pans of appropriate size for what you're cooking. I set it, centered under the meat, on the bottom cooking grate. If you want to save the drippings for gravy you can use one piece of foil slightly depressed and finger crimp it to the baking pan. I've cooked both HH and low and slow and with or without water using foiled baking pans with no problems and excellent results. And the pans can be reused

I know there will be times when I'll have to use the water pan like when I need to use the bottom cooking grate for meat or with the top cooking grate so full the meat would hang over the edges of the foil pan. But for the majority of my cooks it works just fine.

It would be nice if Weber would market foil liners to fit the water pan.

Scotty W.

Kirby, I've used HVAC foil tape to seam 18 inch foil pieces together or use a disposable catering/shaffing pan on the bottom grate.

Color me lucky...I've done the method Mr. Lampe uses above, without the tape, and have never had a major issue....I just fold the seam over, and crimp it VERY tight.
Only once did I get a leak, and it was about the size of a quarter...popped right out the next day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:
Heat resistant duct tape (a tape for every purpose) is only good to 200° F </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cook well above 200 and the tape holds up.

See some great ideas here. So far I'm conventional and use my pans & fill with water. Cleaning the pan can be a pain in the a**! I recycle my ash into my compost. A prefit liner would be a great idea and I'd be interested. Post I like best is spraying the water pan with Pam for easier clean-up - I'll try that the next time I cook.

I don't line my water pan, but when I'm done, I use a new invention called "liquid dishwashing soap." Dissolve a few drops in the water, and wipe the pan with a paper towel. At worst, it might be easier with a Scotch Brite pad. The stuff is cheap, too! Never had a problem getting it clean.

Our UK friends will know this magic product as "washing up soap."

sorry i did not get back to you earlier...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Jim, using some sort of tape is a good idea, but the only thing I can think of to hold up to heat is the foil tape I use to seal up furnace duct work. Is that what you're using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I use 4" wide clear plastic package tape. Very thin. Very sticky. And no melting or burning problems that led to leakage.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I use a new invention called "liquid dishwashing soap." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_rolleyes.gif
why didn't WE think of that

Hey Gang. Sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner. We ended up doing a group project for the class I was in, and I couldn't get everyone on board with this topic.

I've still been thinking about it though, along with some other ideas.

It sounds like there are good alternatives to a large piece of foil, but it also sounds like people would be happy to use a large single piece of foil if it were available at the right price.

If I order a bulk roll of the 22" foil and send a few sheets to some volunteers, would you be willing to help me review the product and set a price point that would be profitable, yet low enough that people would actually buy it?

I don't think this idea alone is enough to keep a business afloat, but if I combine it with some other products and market them all under one brand, I might be able to make it work. It Would be a great project for my next class (starting in March), and might be enticing enough to launch a real business!

Thanks Guys!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Henderson:
I don't line my water pan, but when I'm done, I use a new invention called "liquid dishwashing soap." Dissolve a few drops in the water, and wipe the pan with a paper towel. At worst, it might be easier with a Scotch Brite pad. The stuff is cheap, too! Never had a problem getting it clean.

Our UK friends will know this magic product as "washing up soap." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The whole smoker gets a "build up". I don't see a need to keep the water pan any cleaner than the grill grates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dwain Pannell:

The whole smoker gets a "build up". I don't see a need to keep the water pan any cleaner than the grill grates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do a lot of people clean their water pans out? I just got my WSM and havent cooked yet.

Back