Water bowl rust repair

J Griff

Hi all,
My Weber smoker is in storage while I've been in temp housing. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a Masterbuilt version of an ECB. The waterpan has a rust leak in it and I'm considering affordable repair options that will hold up to the high temps, as I've got the bowl just above the hot coals.

I intend to treat the pan with high heat rustoleum but I still need to seal the leak with a high heat sealer. I'm considering high temp silicone gasket maker or anything else that will stand up. I'm looking for the best and cheapest solution for a long term repair. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Is there such a thing as high temp JB Weld? That's my only thought. Hopefully someone else will jump in.
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum.

I dunno, I wouldnt feel comfortable using anything with chemicals inside the smoker.
Have you thought of finding a SS bowl or aluminum foil pan that you can still fill with water but put inside the leaky pan?

If it's just a perforation or single hole, you can put a self tapping screw through the hole, might have to drill it out first, it MIGHT be enough to stop the leak.

The leak is along a seam on an inside ridge of the bowl. It's not just a small hole.

Timothy, I like your aluminum foil pan solution. That's about as simple as it gets. I also intend to treat the bowl with high heat rustoleum for BBQ applications to keep the bowl from further corrosion.

As an FYI, I think I caused the corrosion by tinfoiling the water bowl for easier clean-up, but when I would dump the water, the foil trapped some of the water underneath, causing the rust. Be careful not to duplicate my mistake.

<scratches head> I don't think that I'd use a brushed or sprayed on coating within probably a foot of direct heat like a charcoal fire.

Agreed, as per the directions on the rustoleum can.

I found a galvanized pot holder that fits perfectly into the water bowl.

I use a stainless mixing bowl from a local Asian goods market that carries a huge variety of stainless mixing bowls. I tried repairing the stock water pan, but nothing worked and looking back it was a lost cause. The stainless pan is no step-down at all, in fact I think it has a little more volume to it.

Got the tip from Chris A, who links a good alternative from Amazon.

Back