Walmart Meat

Chris H.

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone,

Was at Wal-mart earlier today and was VERY surprised to see the variety of meat there. Whole packer briskets, beef ribs, pork butts, tri-tips! In Pennsylvania, this was quite the find! Has anybody had experience with the meat at Wal-mart? Is the quality good? :confused:

Thanks in advance!!

I am somewhat particular. I find some cuts fine and some not so fine. In other words about like most super mkts. Just be sure to look carefully and be selective.

I have had god results with spare ribs and bone in Boston Butt. However, I buy my loin back ribs only from Costco.

FWIW
Keep on smokin':wsm:
Dale53

Last edited:
I've found some Prime brisket there, and they've turned out fantastic. I've cooked spare ribs from Wally World, and they've turned out great. I know when buying ribs or butts from Wally World that they are going to be injected with the 8% salt solution or whatever it is and I adjust accordingly.

I bought cryovac'd ribs there once and when cooked they were mush. The package wasn't labeled enhanced but they definetly were. Never bought meat there again.

Sometimes good sometimes not so much. They have cyro vac of beef ribs which I did not like. If you like beef ribs ask you local supermarket the next time they put rib eyes on sale to not cut the ribs and make you a nice beef rib rack, my local supermarket does it for me and they are much better

Every once in a while here, you'll find some choice grade briskets mixed in with the selects and not priced accordingly at Walmart. So it's a tough call. Most of the pork tends to be "enhanced" which I'm not a fan of, but sometimes you have no choice. The 3 pack cryovac'd Sam's ribs haven't done me wrong yet. Every once in a while there's a butcher that has some fresh ribs but you get what you can. All the choice steaks at walmart are good.

As far as those cryovac'd beef back ribs go, stay as far away from those as possible. There is no meat on them. I'm still trying to find a good source for shot ribs.

Whenever I need a HUGE cut of meat like a whole pork picnic, i'll go to SAM's Club which I think is the same meat as Walmart. For the price it is pretty hard to beat. I also remember getting a 16lb brisket from them for like $25 before, I'm sure it was Select but hard to beat for the price.

I bought a packer there and it was good. Wish I could say the same thing about the steaks I've bought there. Tough! And they were cooked to just under medium. Not good.

I don't shop there unless I'm up north hunting and don't have a choice. I think Sams has better meat than WalMart, Costco better than Sam's, and Butcher shops better than all of them. I am spoiled in the Detroit area though and have a lot of choices on small meat markets that cater to their customers. In Eastern Market in Detroit some of the slaughter houses are in the same neighborhood as the shops that sell. Can't get much fresher than that.......I have heard complaints on other forums that Costco hasn't been so good lately but I haven't experienced that at the one by my house.

The store near me sells only "enhanced" pork, which I am not fond of. Much of the beef roasts are injected as well. The packers are good, though, and they carry Perdue chicken which is OK.

For me, in Central Ohio, Kroger sells their 8% enhanced Kroger brand while Walmart is usually Tyson 12% enchanced. Kroger doesn't carry any packers so when I get one soon, it would have to be from Walmart. I do check at Costco but I didn't see any briskets that looked decent. This weekend, I will be at Sam's Club with a friend and will check out their meat to see how it compares to Walmart. Even though Walmart and Sams are usually the same, since Sams is a wholesale club, they may have a different distributor for volume (or larger) items. I have also tried a Meijer pork butt but wasn't too fond of it. Will stick with Kroger branded until I can find a butcher so I can try some 'fresh' pork butt.

Dave

For me, in Central Ohio, Kroger sells their 8% enhanced Kroger brand while Walmart is usually Tyson 12% enchanced. Kroger doesn't carry any packers so when I get one soon, it would have to be from Walmart. I do check at Costco but I didn't see any briskets that looked decent. This weekend, I will be at Sam's Club with a friend and will check out their meat to see how it compares to Walmart. Even though Walmart and Sams are usually the same, since Sams is a wholesale club, they may have a different distributor for volume (or larger) items. I have also tried a Meijer pork butt but wasn't too fond of it. Will stick with Kroger branded until I can find a butcher so I can try some 'fresh' pork butt.

Dave

There's a big difference down here in what Walmart sells and what SAMs sells. For one thing, even the Tyson "natural" ribs at Walmart still are enhanced by a bit. Says so right on the package. Normally, they only carry Select briskets, not choice like SAMs. On the other hand, SAMs around here use IBP as their primary rib supplier, and their spares are natural and already have the breast bone removed. My wife picked up a case yesterday for $2.19lb.

Last edited:

Back