Walmart Meat

I get most of my meat from Sams Club and have never had any problem with the meat there... It is a lot cheaper then it is at Wal-Mart.

Overall, I like Walmart's selection. I'm usually in our's early enough to catch the markdowns. Like any retailer, they base what they sale on the demographic. And I've saw special items displayed seasonally, like hog's head a few months of the year. I guess it all just depends, but to me the meat quality is comparable to other grocers here. They don't cut meat on site, obviously, but the prices are lower at Walmart here, I've found, overall, than other grocers nearby.

Last edited:
I would rather cook road kill than shop at that frikkin place.. but thats just me.. walmart came to town and destroyed every mom and pop store around.. I despise them with a passion.

Ironically, I bought some meat from my local Wal-Mart for the first time yesterday...a 14-15 lb. packer and 2 slabs of pork ribs. Was there (Wal-Mart) to pick up some drugs. They have the best price for Maloxicam (Mobic) I use the 15mg tab, 90 days (one a day) is only $10 or $12. I was using Celebrex for 3 years prior, and was on Phizer's connection to care program (free) since our income was low enough, but last year we made more money (finally) and that train came screeching to a halt. Anyway, Mobic works for me and it's inexpensive at Wal-Mart, so I go there for that script (I'm a bit arthritic, osteo arthritis)

Yeah so while there I went by the meat section, saw the packer and grabbed it. This will be my first packer and am going to start a new thread, asking for tips, on how to smoke it. I have some ideas of my own but I'm always open for input from those that have been there and have done that so if you want to pile on= : - ), look for my new thread. I'll probably put it in BBQ'ing.

I see where several mentioned the ribs are enhanced (from Wal-Mart). I put them in the freezer and wifey buried them looking for some other stuff in there so I don't feel like going for a look see to verify if there is anything on the packaging (right now), that says if they're enhanced or not. If they are and turn to mush, I have a couple of rotties that I'm sure wont mind consuming them= : - )

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I only buy full packer brisket there. I went in on Saturday to my local superwalmart and they had two, choice grade. One was about 14 lbs and the other 15lbs. Usually they carry only select, which I don't buy, but now and then you'll see choice grade. I took the 14 pounder, cooked it about 16 hrs at about 240 and it came out juicy and tender. I think the final internal temp on the flat was about 203. Point went back on for about another 45 minutes to render.

I usually foil the bottom side of the thinnest third of the brisket. I think it helps protect from the radiant heat and excess heat that seems to flow up the sides around the water pan. I used an empty, foiled pan.

Please don't assume Sams, and Walmart have the same meat. Here in Nebraska Sams meat and Walmart meat are never the same. Sam's is all Choice, and Walmart is all Select. Sam's look to be from IBP. Walmart now has a small section of Choice, but nothing like brisket or anything in cryovac. Sams and Costco here compare in quality, both choice, other than Costco does not carry whole packer brisket in the winter. Drives me nuts.

I went to my local Sams club and they didn't have packers....could have been out but they did have small 'trimmed' flats. Given I have 2 walmarts withing 5 miles of me, one of them carries select grade packers and the other carries choice grade packers. I will be heading to Costco at lunch today to check out what they have for packers and the price.

What I find interesting is a packer of about 14 lbs is around $2.29 lb (at least under $3/lb) but flats that have been over trimmed are priced at over $5/lb, close to $6. (this is Walmart pricing)

Dave

I 100% agree with Dave_H. I will never buy meat from Walmart ever again.
I bought a boston butt from Walmart and opened it up and it stunk of sulfur bad. Called the store and said the smell is sometimes normal with crayo packing. No way I was putting this thing on my wsm. I ended up getting a refund.

I love walmart, when I retire I hope to be the walmart greeter, I've got my line down:

"Hi welcome to walmart, f-u very much!" :)

I bought from Walmart a few times and the quality is there. I'm a satisfied customer.

I was surprised to see my local Walmart now has choice brisket!? $3.48lb seems pretty cheap compared to the $5.29 I've paid elsewhere.

Yes it's choice. I look on occasion when I go and normally it's unmarked packaging which I assume is 'select' and not 'choice'. This is the first time I've seen choice there. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow for one and do an overnight smoke?

Back