Wally World Charcoal Selection

This is back now too. Three days ago it was this low, then an onslaught of orders they put it back to full price. As of 10 minutes ago it is back.
Screenshot_20230213-130507.png

I went today a bought a twiner of the cowboys. I did not see any B&B but did notice plenty of this new to me " Expert grill " charcoal. a lot of different flavors.
How are the JD brigs/any one try them?

We are having a false spring in west central Indiana, and my little Walmart is getting into the act. Already have grape and berry plants out for sale like it is April. Meanwhile, the charcoal section takes up a lot of space in our small size store. No B&B, unfortunately, but lump and briquettes of both Jealous Devil and Blues Hog. I know Blues Hog briquettes are good. Would like to try the JD but I am overstocked right now. At least I have a ready source when I work down my inventory😎.

Last edited:
I went today a bought a twiner of the cowboys. I did not see any B&B but did notice plenty of this new to me " Expert grill " charcoal. a lot of different flavors.

Although I have heard nothing but good things regarding JD, mainly lump, at .95/lb. on the briquettes it's a hard pass for me.

On the the flip side, I have already purchased 5 twin pack of the Cowboy at WM!

That shows that not every bargain is cheap junk. I watched a video where Jeremy Yoder, the Mad Scientist BBQ guy, after pretty much downing Traeger and Pit Boss pellets was surprised to find that they finished higher in his blind test evaluation than I think he expected! That's not to say the really good stuff isn't really good. Even in Jeremy's test, the best results were pretty much from the top-tier brands. However, watching his taste tests, you would be harder pressed to say that some of the moderate priced pellets can't also do a good job. Apparently in this case it applies to charcoal as well.

Timothy,
I have never tried the JD brigs, but I remember a few guys here have and shared they fall part too easy after lighting. Here is one that I remember.

Post in thread 'Weber briquettes' https://tvwbb.com/threads/weber-briquettes.89168/post-1003961

It heated to 902°F, not as high as JD but neither is the price. I might have to grab a bag to keep on hand for steaks.
that's good for briqs. idr what Kxx runs at but maybe in the 700-800F range? maybe someone here knows.

jd lump is $1.09 per # per Amazon. while that might seem like a lot for fuel, it's 100% reusable (unburned portions) and near zero waste (by products). a 35# bag lasts me around 1.5 months in heavy grilling season (3x a week grilling, not LAS, for which i use KPro or B&B briq or charlogs). my run rate on JD lump is around 6 35# bags a year, and maybe 1 to 2 KPro bags a year with indirect smokes/overnights. maybe total fuel costs of $250 a year to have fuel for the WSK (plus any seasoned wood chunks costs)

The B & B is is only offered online via WM. It doesn't show up in my location at the price of $9.97, however it's available at Academy for $9.99 everyday if you have a store near you.

Our one-bag experience with Expert Grill briquettes was not satisfactory. Lots of small broken pieces and dust, and all in all it burned too fast.

Back