wallmart western lump

Went to California to go to my daughters 40th birthday in California over the weekend (hate that drive) and also to go to the Woodshed and stock up on some smoking wood I ran out of. When we left the Woodshed I saw a Walmart down the street.
We walked into the garden area and bingo two bags of Western lump sitting on a shelf, got them at the sale price of $7.88. So now I have four bags and 120lbs of lump to play with.
I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
Went to California to go to my daughters 40th birthday in California over the weekend (hate that drive) and also to go to the Woodshed and stock up on some smoking wood I ran out of. When we left the Woodshed I saw a Walmart down the street.
We walked into the garden area and bingo two bags of Western lump sitting on a shelf, got them at the sale price of $7.88. So now I have four bags and 120lbs of lump to play with.
I'm a happy camper.

Good to see you post, hadn't seen one in a few days. :)
Filet mignon tonight grilled over some of the stuff.

Good to see you post, hadn't seen one in a few days. :)
Filet mignon tonight grilled over some of the stuff.

Thanks Bob, I have to start using up some charcoal as I literally have no place to put the two new bags. I even have two bags of pro KBB in the laundry room I got with the platypus. Barbs idea to store it there so I'm safe for awhile. But she's not going to go for the other two. Garage is full also and I won't park one of the cars outside to protect some charcoal. First it was the charcoal ban and now the monsoons every night.
Okay I'm done whining now.:(

Whew! This stuff stinks! (does mesquite smell this way?)

Sort of smells like a cross between a telephone pole and urine. :rolleyes: As for sparking, I seldom use lump for anything but the WSM, so I can't recall how bad Royal Oak lump sparked the last time grilled with it, but this stuff sparked so bad, I had stand back 10 feet to keep from burning my clothes. However, after the sparking died down, it gave off enough heat to register past 500 degrees on my ThermoPop (inserted the probe part ways into the lid vent). The only other brand that I remember significant sparking was Weber.

It was late, and I did not have anything to grill except some previously pan-fried pork tenderloins that needed reheating, but there was no off-taste after I pulled the meat.

The store has several pallets of the stuff on hand, so I look for them to mark it down in the near future. Will I buy anymore? I ain't sure yet.

I've only lit it in char-baskets and the sparking isn't bad at all, chimney's must be another matter..
It does smoke some at start up, but once it gets going I don't see or smell any smoke, wait until then to start grilling.
I've mentioned before, be on the lookout for any brownish pieces and remove them, also any pieces that keep flaming after most of it gets going.
The quality control probably isn't very good, but uncarbonized pieces can be found in most all brands of lump.
I'll stick with using it for grilling, not sure I'd trust a load of it in the WSM for barbecue.
One member of a Kamado forum said he's been through 10 bags and only had one bag that wasn't very good, so it can happen.
Once again, let the smoke clear and you should get a nice clean and hot burn.
Last night's beef tenderloin using a little leftover, and some fresh Western:

If all goes well, that being no rain tonight I'm going to try the western. Will be using using the lump in the charcoal baskets on the performer. Will be doing the mayo coated LA fry chicken thighs that Robert R posted a few days ago.

I'll stick with using it for grilling, not sure I'd trust a load of it in the WSM for barbecue.

Can you expound on that? Are you concerned about any uncarbonized pieces fouling the meat?

My WSM routine, before adding any meat, is to let the unit run for 30 minutes to an hour (however long it takes for the smoke to die down) after assembling the stack.

For what it's worth, I grilled some burgers today with Western Lump, and I don't recall it sparking as bad as before. Mind you, I fired up the chimney after dark the first time around, so the dark could have amplified the sparking a bit the other day. Nevertheless, today's burgers were pretty good. I especially like the way the meat did not have a pronounced charcoal taste that I have often seen with with Kingsford (and other) briquettes.

Last edited:
Whew! This stuff stinks! (does mesquite smell this way?)

Sort of smells like a cross between a telephone pole and urine. :rolleyes: As for sparking, I seldom use lump for anything but the WSM, so I can't recall how bad Royal Oak lump sparked the last time grilled with it, but this stuff sparked so bad, I had stand back 10 feet to keep from burning my clothes. However, after the sparking died down, it gave off enough heat to register past 500 degrees on my ThermoPop (inserted the probe part ways into the lid vent). The only other brand that I remember significant sparking was Weber.

It was late, and I did not have anything to grill except some previously pan-fried pork tenderloins that needed reheating, but there was no off-taste after I pulled the meat.

The store has several pallets of the stuff on hand, so I look for them to mark it down in the near future. Will I buy anymore? I ain't sure yet.

It does have a little bit of a creosote smell when it starts...but it doesn't stink like some lump I've used. It's also fairly clean once it's hot and going.

I'm kinda with you...Its starting to drop to $3-5 a bag...debating on whether to get more. For grilling it's fine, but not sure I'd pick it over a high quality briquette for most cooks in the WSM.

I'm kinda with you...Its starting to drop to $3-5 a bag...debating on whether to get more. For grilling it's fine, but not sure I'd pick it over a high quality briquette for most cooks in the WSM.

I'm starting to like it a bit better, but I ran another test late yesterday, and the sparking got a bit out of control again after I dumped a chimney load.

As far as using it in the WSM, it would seem to me any foul smoke / odors should burn off after 30 minutes to an hour after assembling the meatless stack. Course, Bob made mention about an off-forum user with a problem bag of coals. I'd like to read their comments on the matter.

I'm starting to like it a bit better, but I ran another test late yesterday, and the sparking got a bit out of control again after I dumped a chimney load.

Grilled chops, today, with Western, but not long after I emptied the chimney into the grill...

Ka-Pow!

A small ember exploded and shot upwards into the aluminum awning.

The chops grilled up good, but am wondering if I need to wear a fireman's helmet and flameproof clothing during setup. :eek: This is getting hazardous.

No objectionable stink to speak of.

I picked up two bags yesterday..........................................I have 400 #'s of charcoal in my garage now, no room for more.

The Labor Day sales are coming, I’ve been too busy to have used up most of my summer buy! I will “top things off” when the sale hits. That’s “Just in case” I get seriously motivated. Save when you can is kind of my mantra.

I'm starting to like this lump - if I can keep it from shooting at me.

If the price drops to clearance levels, I'll stock up instead of buying Kingsford.

Yesterday, I broke out the 18" WSM to smoke sausage patties & such with Western lump.

I used a single layer of Royal Oak briquettes on the bottom grate to keep small lump bits from falling through, and I then topped the ring with lump. I lit a half chimney load of left over coals, and dumped the hot load on the Western via Minion style. I made sure to let the smoker burn off for at least an hour before adding meat. So far, I can't recall any strong off-odors within the finished product. I added a chunk of pecan for extra flavor.

Popping coals wasn't much of an issue, although if I opened the door, the popping got worse.

Last edited:
Picked up another bag today for $4, so I've bought 90 lbs for $14 total, or about 16 cents per lb.
I still have a full 30 lb. bag of KJ Big Block lump from a Costco sale, and some Timber lump.
Had to dig through this pile to find one without rips.

Wish our Walmart had some, even though I don't have any room for anymore charcoal (or grills). I would figure out something.

Yesterday, I broke out the 18" WSM to smoke sausage patties & such with Western lump.

I used a single layer of Royal Oak briquettes on the bottom grate to keep small lump bits from falling through, and I then topped the ring with lump. I lit a half chimney load of left over coals, and dumped the hot load on the Western via Minion style. I made sure to let the smoker burn off for at least an hour before adding meat. So far, I can't recall any strong off-odors within the finished product. I added a chunk of pecan for extra flavor.

Popping coals wasn't much of an issue, although if I opened the door, the popping got worse.

I take that back.

There is a bit of an off flavor in these sausage patties. It sort of tastes like the lump smelled the first time I tried Western lump.

I'll go back to American-made charcoal for smoking purposes.

Not one bag at my Walmart at ANY kind of break! Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
Some of you guys have at least twenty pound garages, mine is only ten and I’ve got twelve pounds of stuff in it already in before I add the winter load of lawn furniture (additional “5” pounds!)sheesh!
186 lb. in the back of the Jeep as ballast, until I use that up and about the same filling up the spot where the 22” WSM used to live!

Last edited:
Got plenty on hand, but no price drop yet. (there's a heap of Royal Oak lump in the background too)

I did see a 99.00 price tag on a 2-burner Q grill though.

August%202018%20011.jpg

Back