Wal-mart Beef Ribs

Chris H.

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about doing beef ribs and I was at Wal-mart today and noticed they carry them (as well as butts, full briskets, picnics, spare and baby backs, tri tips (odd for Pittsburgh!)). Anyways, has anybody tried Wal-mart beef ribs?

Most of their meat is good. I'd look out for beef back ribs though. They typically have most of the meat cut off them. If they do have meat on them they are awesome.

There are great when they leave some meat on them. These are from Wal mart, ran into them unplanned.

You need to read the package carefully. Quite a number of the meats sold at Walmart have been injected with brine and when grilled or smoked with a rub that contains salt they turn out too salty to eat.

I am only going to say there is a reason why Walmart can sell their meat at such low prices.
Yes, it's called volume. They are the largest purchaser in the US, therefore can demand the lowest prices. Not to mention, those that are buying their meat at a Sam's Club are most likely getting their meat from the exact same place as those buying at Walmart, since it's the same parent company.

That being said, I only buy cryovaced meats at Walmart. I personally have issues trusting the quality of cellophaned meats at my local Walmart store.

In my local Walmart in California, they do tend to shave the meat off. As previous posters have mentioned, the ones that do have meat are fine.

I only get the cryovac'd packaged ribs. I want to try a tri-tip next.

My local Walmart almost always has beef ribs but there is never enough meat on them to make it worth the trouble to cook them.

When looking for beef ribs, may I suggest you look for Beef Short Rib Plate. That way you get some ribs with meat on the bones. I had to ask my HEB butcher for these:

10672395_923495201012079_4549434444060071793_n.jpg

Back