Vortex wanna make one

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
What material would I use that is safe and wont rust or harm me in any way? Could I use an old tin can, like a #10 can of beans?

May not be wide enough? Depending on the size of your grill.

What about trimming to size a new galvanized garbage can? Cut the bottom out just leaving the sides. Cut to appropriate height. Then cut it down one side, re-shape, put one fold on opposite vertical edges and clip the sides together. The tension holding the sides together will eliminate any need for fixing the edges together with brazing, soldering, whatever.

voila, a homemade vortex.

Last edited:
garbage can is steel. same as your bean can. maybe better.

or just buy it. Cheaper than getting 304 stainless as a consumer on a "one-off" purchase.

Last edited:
Matthew... I wouldn't use ANYTHING galvanized.
Amen to that

Matt, just go to wallyworld, buy a 12" steel bowl and a 8" steel bowl, cut the bottoms out, line them up bottom to bottom, if you want vortex, big bowl on top, if you want seer, little bowl on top

Well, go for it Len! I offered my opinion on galvanized material as it relates to Vortex temperatures. To each his own. Thanks for your opinion. I respect that, hopefully you respect mine.

How about buying a large stainless steel mixing bowl? Similar to the one below. They are not expensive.
Cut the bottom off it. I would think that would work.......wouldn't it?
Edit: Obviously you'd have to get the correct measurement between the charcoal grate & the grill grate.

5yckna.jpg

Last edited:
How about buying a large stainless steel mixing bowl? Similar to the one below. They are not expensive. Cut the bottom off it. I would think that would work.......wouldn't it? Edit: Obviously you'd have to get the correct measurement between the charcoal grate & the grill grate
The water pan for the elcheapo brinkman (ECB) works well and is even less $'s

How about buying a large stainless steel mixing bowl? Similar to the one below. They are not expensive.
Cut the bottom off it. I would think that would work.......wouldn't it?
Edit: Obviously you'd have to get the correct measurement between the charcoal grate & the grill grate.

5yckna.jpg

The water pan for the elcheapo brinkman (ECB) works well and is even less $'s

I think we're kind of on the same page here. I've been unable to find dimensions of the Vortex rings, but here are a couple things I may explore.

Cut the rusted bottom of an SJS and came up with this.

IMG_0643.jpg

I was planning on using it as a charcoal ring in my 26.75", but since you mentioned the ECB water pan it might work?

The other is this Stainless Steel Vegetable pan from Costco ($8.79)

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

Dimensions are 8.5" tall
top 8 7/8" ID
bottom 7" ID (if I cut it off)

What do you think? I'm guessing it may be too small to do the "infrared" cooking inside, but for a fuse burn or direct funnel it could do it.

Anyone with a Vortex care to share the dimensions??

Back