Vortex wanna make one

The original ( prototypes) were made from galvanized metal and you needed to burn them before use. The ones made now are made from stainless steel. support small business if you want one, $40 isn't too bad and you are helping the little guy!

............Cut the rusted bottom of an SJS and came up with this.

IMG_0643.jpg

Brian, I was thinking along the line of the SJ lid also. :)

Edit: John S. I'd pay $40 for one IF I could get one in UK. I contacted the Vortex folks to see if the were going to market it in Europe. They said they had no plans to. Shipping to UK was prohibitively EXPENSIVE!!

Last edited:
support small business if you want one, $40 isn't too bad and you are helping the little guy!

I just tested the waters out and found out, the price was not a bad deal and I was certain I would get the full benefits. I get mine Mionday, but it should be sometime mon or tues I should get mine.

Hillbilly vortex I made from the stainless steel vegetable pan. I got two rings out of it. These were my first test cooks with it.

5lb. chicken on the Performer with briqs contained in a 22" WSM ring.

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

Here is the inverted ring in the 18.5" kettle, with a dozen wings on the grate perimeter.

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

They work, and I'm happy with the results.

Definitely not as wide a footprint of the thunderdome vortex, so it's likely limited a bit. And I'm not sure if I would give up my rotisserie setups.

You can see the full build and process on my Left Hand Smoke "Fire it up! " facebook page

Back