Vortex thighs using Royal Oak from WM Memorial Day sale

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
After picking up a twin pack of RO from Walmart I was anxious to give it a try.
I breaded the thighs with Andy's breading and gave them a spritz of oil.These are from Costco and normally come 4 to a package, this pack had two very large, and one small. One pic only, moved together at cook's end.

I started a nearly full load in my small size Vortex. The smoke was fairly heavy at first, but blue and pleasant smelling if not too close. It seemed pretty much like the other RO All Natural I used, and liked, last year.
The heat was cranking, the Performer's gauge was pegged, for grins I stuck the probe of my Thermapen in a vent, the reading quickly climbed to 550, then just read HI.
The thighs were done in 30 minutes, and were perfectly crispy on the outside, moist inside.
The term all natural gets bandied about so much these days I pay no attention to it. After all, doesn't everything come from nature at some point? :)

Last edited:
Those thighs look terrific Bob. I've used my Vortex for chicken before. I'd like to try Costco's offering of Breaded Thighs. I've never seen them and my wife who notices everything, doesn't recall them either.

Thighs look great Bob. I really like RO, very much as reliable as KBB. It's also on sale more than KBB and at $8.88 for the twin pack it's a no brainer.
Next we are going to try thighs with the Cooks Country recipe for grill fried wings of course using the vortex.

Last edited:
Those thighs look terrific Bob. I've used my Vortex for chicken before. I'd like to try Costco's offering of Breaded Thighs. I've never seen them and my wife who notices everything, doesn't recall them either.
Thanks Cliff!
I should have been more clear, I breaded the thighs myself with Andy's breading, then gave them a spritz of oil.
I'll revise my post.

Thank you Bob, for convincing me on buying the Vortex and leading me to thighs using it!
Yours look GREAT! I too, like the idea of using Andy's
icon14.png

I made some last Sunday... in the future I will not do them any other way.

Back