Vortex size question

Daum

TVWBB Super Fan
So I went ahead and purchased the vortex from BBQSmokerMods after seeing everyone having a great time with them, however by mistake got the small (it didn't say small, they just had what it was for) vortex as it had the WSM 18.5+22.5 kettle as it's recommended sizing. I plan to use it on my performer. That being said, would you recommend I return the small one and reorder the medium? It's price was 37 for the small, 41 for the medium with 2 dollar shipping. So total change for me would be probably 10 or so bucks as I'll be paying the return shipping too.

I guess overall am more interested if you think the small is going to be too small for the use? I really only plan on using it on the performer. My feeling is I should return it for the medium, but figured I'd ask you guys to see what you thought first.

Daum

Last edited:
Keep the small, go to Walmart , buy a $10 stainless steel bowl, spend about 10 minutes cutting it down to the (near exact) measurements of the medium vortex, and bingo bango, you have both sizes!!
Just a thought,
Tim

My wife screwed up and got me the small. I think it works great. I use it more for chicken indirect where it gives you more room. For searing steaks I wish I had a little more room but it still works well.

Truth is, there is NO right answer. I have the Medium and that's my choice. However, the small allows for more room. As to whether it cooks the same as the Medium, I have no clue. I DO know, that for my purposes the medium answers my needs.

So, I'm not being much help. However, I CAN say one thing. If you are unhappy with your choice, NOW is the time to exchange it.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I would return the small for the medium if for no other reason than I'd always wonder if the medium would have been a better choice. Buyers remorse is something I don't want to deal with. Good luck with your decision.

Bill

Could be my very first time I say" keep the small, more grate room!"
Instead of using briquettes, use charcoal which will give you hotter temp also with smaller space.

Could be my very first time I say" keep the small, more grate room!"
Instead of using briquettes, use charcoal which will give you hotter temp also with smaller space.

Where were ya 20 minutes ago! Already dropped it in the mail for the return, and new one is ordered. All said and done damage done was an extra 12 bucks.

Daum

All that matters is that you are happy with your decision. There is no right answer. When I ordered my medium, I asked them which size for my Performer and they said either the small or medium. I chose the medium and am very happy with it. The key is what makes you happy. Grilling and smoking are supposed to be about having fun. Just have fun with your decision and go forward from there.

My wife screwed up and got me the small. I think it works great. I use it more for chicken indirect where it gives you more room. For searing steaks I wish I had a little more room but it still works well.

Dustin, wives NEVER screw up! They simply have errors in judgement from time to time.

Tim, just remember the following:
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
Also just remember, she meant well and cared. You are lucky that you have a wife who will get you the things you want.
Also, happy wife, happy life! Besides, it is the screw ups that make us human?

Dustin, wives NEVER screw up! They simply have errors in judgement from time to time.

Back