Vacation treats!

I do believe this is the first time I've seen BBQ Beets. Gonna have to give that a try.

Chuck, I just toss them with salt and pepper and olive oil, roughly 45 minutes depending on size.
White salad turnips are incredible done the same way!
Here’s last nights quick dinner,
Pork bomb, little potatoes, and beans from Plath’s (best beans that I don’t make!), salad was the leftovers from last night.E3806B84-9B89-49CE-A57C-7D06CCE5C483.jpeg
Tonight will be chicken, cauliflower and sweet potatoes...I think.
Looks like a nice beach day today.58705DB5-8E49-48EB-B5BF-9706FC7A32DD.jpeg

Monday night was a tight fit! I’m very happy my brother decided NOT to get rid of the 22 up here for an 18!
Chicken, cauliflower and stuffing.CA116610-A918-4DB7-A19A-44BA1D26A9A3.jpeg73D36F41-C33F-4979-9F3C-380F5FCBDAAD.jpeg
And a beautiful slice of brilliant sliver sunlight from the sun peeking through a hole in the clouds!EF052664-3124-490A-9836-0880382102C5.jpeg
It doesn’t show as the sliver stripe in the picture very well but, the contrast was stunning.
Today, whitefish at the Soo Locks for lunch!

Tonight might be pork wings but, I’m not sure yet.
Last night was a beef bomb, fried yellow rice cake, caramelized onions and, roasted carrots.
5B1A176B-4D92-4FEE-8A56-1D1A3C32047C.jpeg
Turned out well enough but, next time more cheese, it all just melted together into a delicious but, not very cheesy treat.
Might do a major ribeye cook or maybe some smoked pork chops before we head home on Monday.
Will advise...
Not a fish guy Jeff? This whitefish was ethereal! Like eating a cloud!

Keep em coming Timothy.
I love vacation, I also love just hanging around the grill and the water all day with nothing really to do except add some beverages.
The pics are great and hope you have more!

No pics of the pork wings, we were all too hungry after a day of rock hunting with my wife and time in the Lake with grandson. Slept like a stone!
Today was laundry and having the day to ourselves, kids and grandkids went to Mackinaw Island today.
Might have dinner at “Biere de Mac” but, no decisions have been made, I’m getting a night off from grill work.
Thanks Darryl, I’m probably closer to you here than when I’m at home! Hammond Bay on Lake Huron the water was heavenly yesterday.

It's not too far away, the drive however would be a different story, it's not a straight line at all. Flint alone is 4.5 hours and that is with no border wait.

What is this night off from the grill thing you speak of? I get full time duty when we go away. Usually to far from food or to many beverages to drive. Either way it's my kind of vacation. Delegating all the breakfast cooks the MRS and helping a bit with clean up and drying dishes keeps me on full time grill duty, and I wouldn't change a thing. Hope Timothy has a few more tricks up his sleeve before I would guess Saturday is departure day.

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us Timothy, I have really enjoyed your posts. Hope you and yours have a safe trip home.

The night off turned out to be nothing more than soup, after eating like a house afire for the last week, I needed a break!
Didn’t feel like an almost two hour drive to the foot of the Bridge and back for dinner. I think that might be lunch today.
We shall see.
Darryl, I was thinking the same thing, closer by boat, we are about three hours north of Flint, 45 minutes from the bridge from the cottage.
Departure day will be Monday, I hate the weekend crowd on the road! By Monday, they’ve cleared out more.
Af couple of feasts will still be coming. I am getting a bit of an itch for some grilled fish...

Last edited:
Cruised up to “Biere de Mac” to find that they are so understaffed they can’t open the kitchen. Food truck in the driveway. Had a beer anyway and, picked up a growler for later, “Genevieve de Detroit” delicious! And I’d been planning on the major steak feast so, a burger wasn’t my top priority for lunch even though they looked great. So, back to “The Keyhole” she had whitefish and I had chili(it’s just such good chili!) and onion rings, best in the world!
Heading back I decided to stop at a fish monger we have driven past probably dozens of times, walked in the pleasant fresh fish smell was inviting, not the ghastly old funky foul fish smell nor the least hint of Lysol! “Big Stone Bay fisheries”, they had some beautiful fresh (this mornings catch) whitefish and equally fine looking smoked! I got two fillets and a tail section, grilled the fillets with a butter, green onion, garlic, and tangerine zest treatment, no more than fifteen minutes and it was perfect! Grilled zucchini and garlic toast.
Ambrosia!
Sorry about not taking pictures, mosquitoes were ravenous! Could not stay still long enough!
Beef for Sunday!

Back