using WSM indoors in a fireplace

TimBlaktu

Has anyone ever used their WSM in an indoor fireplace? I realize this is not advised by Weber for obvious safety reasons, but... I live in a townhome that doesn't offer any personal outdoor space for me to operate a smoker, but my unit does have a great fireplace. Only the smallest 14" WSM would fit in my chimney. I'm wondering whether this WSM could be operated in a way that would create enough draft so that the chimney would exhaust all the smoke.

Alternatively, I wonder if anyone knows of any electrical smokers on the market that have active exhaust systems that I could pipe out a window or up my chimney?

Thoughts?

p.s. I found this thread here on the topic.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that you would be creating carbon monoxide gas by doing this and that can kill you. Contact your local fire department to check this. Your life is worth much more than some pulled pork or brisket.

I don't think that I would do it. like you said, probably doesn't create enough of a draft.

An actual fire in the chimney creates that draft, but the smoker has the fire enclosed, so the only draft occurring is inside the WSM. When first lighting mine off, smoke seeps out slightly through the door and all the seams. I can only imagine how this would smell up the living space, not to mention the deadly carbon monoxide fumes.

Long ago while servicing a misbehaving diesel engine in an enclosed area I was overcome by carbon monoxide.

You will not have a warning. You will not notice an odor. You will not have time to leave the area. You will pass out as quickly as turning off a light switch.

Please consider another option.

Well said by all of the above. Wood burning fireplaces or stoves don't produce the CO gasses like burning charcoal in an enclosed space.

Tim

This sounds like a very unsafe idea. I suggest finding a place outside. Maybe there is some common area you could use outside by the pool or something?

This is indeed very dangerous, I was watching an old episode of Dragnet and Joe Friday was grilling steaks on his hibatchi grill in his apartment. He did put it in front of his fireplace in his apartment. Wow.

yea I am with everyone else I wouldn't do it.

I think an open fire creates more of a draft.

Could you use the smoker in the parking lot or on your front steps and when done store the smoker inside?

That link in your first post references "smoking mushrooms to sell at a farmers market". I think he must be eating "magic" mushrooms to even consider it.

Having said that, what about putting a small block of wood on a gas burner on a gas stove turned low so it smoulders, your mushrooms in a metal colander on top of that same burner and have the range hood turned on high while doing this? It might be possible but I don't advocate nor recommend this and if you try it, you do so at your own peril

[video]http://www.awesomelyluvvie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/HeadShake.gif[/video]

Last edited:
...but...but...Weber used to sell a BBQ intended for use in the fireplace. I'm not saying it's a great idea, I'm just saying. Ck out pg 7 and 8: http://tvwbb.com/docs/1964webercatalog.pdf

Yeah, and in '64, Chevy sold
7603744258_dd9fd4b8bc_o.jpg

the Corvair too.

Wouldn't buy that either :) :) :)

Years ago my dad had a grate made for his fireplace, like 1958 or there abouts. He cooked and grilled in his woodburning fireplace
for many years. I have done the same for many years. The smoke and the gasses travel up the chimney, not into the room. If the
fireplace that Tim want's to try is a woodburning fireplace, AND he has a carbon monoxide detector nearby, I would not see the harm
in giving it a try with the 14.5. YMMV.

Yeah, and in '64, Chevy sold
7603744258_dd9fd4b8bc_o.jpg

the Corvair too.

Wouldn't buy that either :) :) :)
Len, the Corvairs were great little cars. Ralph Nader was an opportunistic jerk of a lawyer trying to make a name for himself,
at GM's expense. He may think that he killed the Corvair with his book, but his claims were found to be untrue. In reality GM had planned to kill the Corvair after the 1966
model year as they were introducing the new 67 Camaro line, but they built it through May of 1969 as it did not deserve to be killed by a trumped up unsafe reputation.
I had a 62 Spyder, and 2 66 Corsa turbos, and other than an occasional thrown fan belt, they were very safe and very fun to drive.

Back