Used EX4 Assessment

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
It's not hard to assess the EX4 because it's just like my EX6 but has a 24 in. cook box and no warranty. I bought the grill to cook on and it cooks great. I've run it hot and cooked on Smokeboost. It works and the problems it has are the same as my EX6. They stem from Immature software and Weber should have their act together by now. They don't. Because of the software many Smokefires need close monitoring until the temp settles down. It took an hour to settle today and then held solid for the final 5 hours of the cook. When I have metal erosion I'll deal with it then but the plus side of the grill is versatility, capability, and the great taste it imparts to the food. I bought it with the intention of learning it and running some tests and then pass it on to one of my grandsons. Grandsons must wait. I'm keeping both. The EX4 is rigged for high heat with the GBS grates but is fine for low and slow. The EX6 is rigged for low and slow with the 14" upper cooking grate as my primary cooking grate.

The EX4 heats up quicker than my EX6 and twice as fast as my Camp Chef with the Rec Tec controller. The controller seems to hold temp closer to target. I cooked at 300 on my ambient probe today and, once it settled down, the temp moved back and forth between 290 and 310 for 5 hours. I had to set the temp to 340 to get 300 but that is so simple to deal with. The EX4 is easier to move in and out of the garage. The size is great when cooking for just the two of us but it will hold a lot of food if need be. I waxed the interior of the pellet hopper with Johnsons Paste wax and I don't have a pellet feed problem. The Weber front shelf is too narrow for me and I'll be making a 15" wood shelf like I have on the EX6. The Smokefire transports much better in the bed of a pickup because of the splayed legs. My Camp Chef had vertical legs and it tipped over way too easy. My RecTec and Camp Chef were used and had no warranty. If you go that route with a Smokefire, learn as much as you can before you pull the trigger. It's not set and forget until you learn your grills idiosyncrasies. I don't care what Weber PR claims and that applies to all generations. I've been studying this grill for 2 years but I never knew it until I got my hands on it and started testing my theories. Every time I fire it up I have something I want to check out in addition to doing my cook. I am tickled pink with the EX4 and have no buyers remorse. :D

Last edited:
I'm really glad it is working out for you Lew. I've looked at both at my favorite Ace Hardware and the EX4 would be the choice for my wife and I.
If you buy new, Weber says the 2022 model has improved casters and thicker internal parts. I replaced the casters on both grills as soon as I got them.

Last edited:
All this keeps me stewing and wishing. I think the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 has a lot of strong features and a high satisfaction rate. You could also get a Recteq RT-590 for not way more, also a proven commodity. But the SmokeFire keeps beckoning like an extremely pretty girl, but the kind your mother warned you about. I guess I am a pushover for things made by Weber. But it is more than that, because we have seen so many great cooks, in spite of the obstacles. I still think it is the one I wish I could get.

I do continue scanning used SmokeFire ads, but I keep coming back to the thought that this is truly one grill you should buy new, get your warranty registration, and put it together yourself - carefully. Sounds like buying from Weber and being sure it is a 2022 model would be important, too.

All this keeps me stewing and wishing. I think the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 has a lot of strong features and a high satisfaction rate. You could also get a Recteq RT-590 for not way more, also a proven commodity. But the SmokeFire keeps beckoning like an extremely pretty girl, but the kind your mother warned you about. I guess I am a pushover for things made by Weber. But it is more than that, because we have seen so many great cooks, in spite of the obstacles. I still think it is the one I wish I could get.

I do continue scanning used SmokeFire ads, but I keep coming back to the thought that this is truly one grill you should buy new, get your warranty registration, and put it together yourself - carefully. Sounds like buying from Weber and being sure it is a 2022 model would be important, too.
You had asked for the assessment and I hope I covered everything important to you. I was of your mindset back in 2020. Because I've owned RecTec, Camp Chef, and Weber I have a soft spot for all three. I just think the Smokefire capabilities make up for it's weaknesses and as the software improves the Smokefire gets better. I agree with your last sentence as the safest approach for first time buyers.

Lew,
Thank you for sharing your experience with your EX-4. I think you were even-handed and gave a fair description. The fact you decided to keep it along with your EX-6 speaks volumes. Good for you👍!

I am still a wannabe, but a new 2022 EX-4 looks like my dream😎

I had the same reservations about Smokefire. It was essentially a two year process; I had never considered pellets because for some reason I viewed it as cheating or not “real” BBQ. When Weber teased us, I got interested as I figured it must be legit if they’re jumping in.

Preordered. They trickled out about a week before I planned to jump. Had it in my cart then for some reason jumped onto YouTube and saw some vids. Held off. Watched the ensuing reviews. Got turned off.

Meanwhile, I had become intrigued by pellets. I still feel they lack in overall taste, more on that in a bit. So I looked at Green Mountain and Camp Chef and some others not starting with a T (I refuse to do business with them) and settled on the GMG. But the Smokefire kept calling....

Fast forward to last October. I went in planning on buying either the GMG (a specific model they made a short time and didn’t ever have online) or the Smokefire. Well, the GMG wasn’t in the store so the Smokefire came home with me.

After some initial irritations and cursing, although short of throwing anything, I love it. It’s got way more flavor than any other pellet food I’ve tried and it’s a Weber. I love Weber stuff, no surprise for us here. The flavor that folks commented on, the porcelain which I feel will outlast any painted grill out there, and the killer looks sold me.

It’s solid. Real solid. Flavor close to charcoal with Smokeboost, but different. It produces that heavier smokier flavor I prefer without going overboard. I’ve occasionally gotten too much smoke with charcoal and it’s not good.

Sorry for the hijack Lew. Felt appropriate to the post. I’m a believer in Smokefire and a happy customer no longer considering a return.

Tim,
Great to have your story added to the saga. I am probably not as discriminating as some, but I have been very happy with results from my Recteq RT-700. Enough smoke for me, although I am learning that the right pellets do make a difference.

I want a second smaller pellet grill to help when I do food for small events - and probably when I just want something for our small household and don’t need the expanse of the larger Recteq. The SmokeFire EX-4 fits the bill and footprint perfectly, but the Camp Chef Woodwind 24 in all honesty does as well.

If I had to bet, the Camp Chef would be way more predictable and dependable. But I am not as sure it could produce as good a results as the SmokeFire - when it is in a good mood. I wish I was a YouTube celebrity and could get free models so I could do my own thorough comparison between the two grills.

Last edited:
Tim, you didn’t hijack, you enhanced the conversation. Jon, I keep wondering if the slide and sear feature of the CC can be used to enhance smoke flavor. With it open the fan will push smoke through the slots. Maybe we can coax Rich Dahl to try that. 😁

Tim, you didn’t hijack, you enhanced the conversation. Jon, I keep wondering if the slide and sear feature of the CC can be used to enhance smoke flavor. With it open the fan will push smoke through the slots. Maybe we can coax Rich Dahl to try that. 😁
I accidently did that, I forgot to close the S&S when I cleaned it. I couldn't figure out why I was getting 50 degree swings in the temps when set on 250. When I shut the S&S it settled right down, so it really isn't workable option on the CC. Maybe if it was partially opened, I might give that a try.

Rich, that would be an interesting try. I guess I understood that the Camp Chef has slots in its grease tray besides having the slide aside. I wondered if that would at least give some more smoke than a pellet grill like mine with a solid shield.

Maybe with the slide aside just partly open, the Camp Chef would be even closer to a SmokeFire in performance?🧐

Rich, that would be an interesting try. I guess I understood that the Camp Chef has slots in its grease tray besides having the slide aside. I wondered if that would at least give some more smoke than a pellet grill like mine with a solid shield.

Maybe with the slide aside just partly open, the Camp Chef would be even closer to a SmokeFire in performance?🧐
Yes, the tray has lots of slots in it. Well, we're going to find out soon, next smoke I'll give it a try. I'll find something to smoke that I won't waste a good piece of protein in case it doesn't work so well.

Back