Unofficial Easter Cook Thread

Nick Cosby

TVWBB Fan
So folks, what is everyone cooking for Easter?

I myself decided I am going to Smoke or Grill a Lamb and Pork Tenderloin Roast, haven't had Lamb in about 5 years I think.

I've been thinking of lamb myself. We'll see what the wife and parents have in mind. Good cooking to everyone.

I am smoking a ham this year. I haven't done one on the WSM in forever. I am going to use a local boy's glaze (Chris Lilly):

1/2 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/8 teaspoon sage flakes
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves

We are going to bbq some pulled pork at my sister in laws. Will taking the wsm on the road.

I'm almost finished the frame I was building for the 26" kettle. My family wants me to do another kettle cooked turkey so this might be a great way to break it in.

I am smoking a ham this year. I haven't done one on the WSM in forever. I am going to use a local boy's glaze (Chris Lilly):

1/2 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/8 teaspoon sage flakes
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves

Dwain, have you used this glaze yet? Sure sounds good. It's near impossible for me to cook for Sunday dinner since I play in the worship band at Church, but maybe I can talk Sherri into trying this glaze out on our Ham.

I'm going to do a ham for the first time. I've got a 12lb bone in shank that is hardwood smoked, water added, and ready to cook. My plan is to use the mustard/whiskey glaze recipe and smoke it with a couple of apple wood chunks at 325 until it hits 140. My question to anyone with ham experience is how do I place the ham on the smoker? From looking at the half ham recipe it looks like I'll need to put the cut side of the ham down on a foil pan. Is this necessary or can I put the cut side directly onto the grate? Another question is in regards to scoring the meat. I haven't taken the ham out of the package but it should I score the meat if it's already trimmed up really well?

Easter dinner is being provided for me on Sunday (honey baked ham, twice baked potatoes, peas/carrots, salad) but Friday I have off work, so am making ribs and a pork butt for the family, sides to be german potato salad, 3 bean salad, maybe some of our version of ABTs (slice the jalapenos in half, destem/seed, cream cheese, crushed bacon, bake at 450, man I love jalapeno poppers).

Dwain, have you used this glaze yet? Sure sounds good. It's near impossible for me to cook for Sunday dinner since I play in the worship band at Church, but maybe I can talk Sherri into trying this glaze out on our Ham.

I've not used it yet. I saw this on another site and I've been pretty successful with Mr Lilly's recipes so I thought I'd give it a try this year.

I'm going to do a ham for the first time. I've got a 12lb bone in shank that is hardwood smoked, water added, and ready to cook. My plan is to use the mustard/whiskey glaze recipe and smoke it with a couple of apple wood chunks at 325 until it hits 140. My question to anyone with ham experience is how do I place the ham on the smoker? From looking at the half ham recipe it looks like I'll need to put the cut side of the ham down on a foil pan. Is this necessary or can I put the cut side directly onto the grate? Another question is in regards to scoring the meat. I haven't taken the ham out of the package but it should I score the meat if it's already trimmed up really well?

Chuck I'm doing the same thing as you. Plan on keeping my ham in a foil pan so I can add glaze to it w/o a mess and it will also capture the ham juices. I don't score the meat until I'm ready to apply the glaze, usually when the ham hits about 100-110 degrees.

we'll be making and smoking up about 30 pounds of Easter kielbasa. Always turns into a big Holy Saturday party!

Rob

Chuck I'm doing the same thing as you. Plan on keeping my ham in a foil pan so I can add glaze to it w/o a mess and it will also capture the ham juices. I don't score the meat until I'm ready to apply the glaze, usually when the ham hits about 100-110 degrees.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do the same. My concern was scoring the trimmed meat and having it dry out. I'm assuming that scoring it at glaze time will prevent this. I appreciate the help.

Not sure, actually thought I'd stop in here for some ideas. Didn't see many LOL, kidding of course. I'd like to find a cow head and do some barbacoa, where in Vegas can I get a cows head?

Smoked Turkey Breast, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy plus other fixxins! Normally don't cook too much on Easter proper but wife has been watching the Bible series on History Channel lately.

Gonna put a rib roast on Sunday morning, go to church, then hopefully come home to an almost done 11 pound rib roast. If ya'll have any tips, please post on the thread I started!

Keeping it simple this year...burgers, brats ...tater salad and beans...nice little picnicking lunch for us!

All above sounds great though!

I got ahead and did leg of lamb tonight on the rotisserie.

1364612951_zpsd6dfd544.jpg

1364612977_zps79ee0c5a.jpg

Back