Two 8+lb butts = ?

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Friday night, i seasoned two bone-in pork butts, one about 8.15 lbs the other 8.55 lbs....
seasoned with my go-to butt rub.

butt08152020a.jpg

gott'em on the 22" WSM just after 6am Saturday mornin'...

butt08152020b.jpg

after 10 hours, i added a coupla Hatch peppers with the meat temp at 191ºF

butt08152020c.jpg

two hours later, i removed the butts after hitting my temp of 200ºF (12 hours total)
Wrapped both in foil, dropped into a cooler and then napped...
woke 6 hours later to pull at midnight.

butt08152020d.jpg

tossed that into the fridge for another nap.
this morning, i vacuumed sealed the pulled pork into 1 pound packages...

butt08152020e_LI.jpg

butt08152020f.jpg

End result: 7.8 pounds of pulled pork.
yep, not even 8 pounds of edible meat from those 2 butts...

Thanks for stoppin' by! eet.gif

Nice pictures - thanks for sharing!

I did have to wipe some drool off the keyboard - those Hatch chiles look great.

None have shown up in the local markets. It's about that time - and I'm hankerin' to roast up a batch. :cry:

Looks terrific, start to finish Jim. You're well stocked for a while. Congrats also for the ability to get up at midnight and pull two 8 lb. butts. :D

Nice! Since you lost over 50% of the initial weight, how full was the drip/water pan when they were done?

Looks terrific, start to finish Jim. You're well stocked for a while. Congrats also for the ability to get up at midnight and pull two 8 lb. butts. :D
actually, i smoked and packaged them for my neighbors... they allowed me access to my yard thru their properties while we had some construction going on... AND, i woke at midnight to go to bed, then realized I had pork to pull

Nice! Since you lost over 50% of the initial weight, how full was the drip/water pan when they were done?
dunno, din't look yet...

we replaced our old beat to dust shed... here are some BEFORE / AFTER photos.

SHEDbeforeafter1.jpgSHEDbeforeafter2.jpg

SHEDbeforeafter3.jpgSHEDbeforeafter4.jpg

SHEDbeforeafter5.jpgSHEDbeforeafter6.jpg

...and this was our inspiration...

sheddream.jpg

I'm just about bored with my... butt your go-to has brought enough inspiration to save this on my desktop. I'm trying it soon! Nice cook and nice way to shed.

Back