TV News Today Big Weber Layoffs

Also Microsoft, JP Morgan, Ford, Remax, Carvana.................. There are going to be many in the mortgage/refi industry in the near future too.

Also Microsoft, JP Morgan, Ford, Remax, Carvana.................. There are going to be many in the mortgage/refi industry in the near future too.
I was just at Car max today. Alot of employees standing around .. and of course we get the new guy.:rolleyes:

Glad I have no horse in this race! I have plenty of grills, no interest in buying a new one, especially considering the track record of the units made of chinesium. All mine are good old Illinois production!

I know a lot of you guys are retired, but as an engineer trying to build and sell things now I can say things really are tough. I empathize with Weber. We're paying 2-3x for commodity steel and aluminum, 10x for electronic components that are in demand. Lead times can be 3-6 months for simple commodity parts.

I was really annoyed to see Weber prices doubled in 2 years, but it's a tough time for manufacturing with labor and materials costs increasing at rates not seen in 40 years, plus a global supply chain wrecked by plague.

As Timothy said, I'm happy that I won't be buying any be grills (or homes) in the near future.

and the list goes on and on: https://insightglobal.com/blog/corporate-layoffs-hiring-freezes-2022-recession/

weird thing is, i have an ad for a spot we need to onboard and cannot get resumes or people to apply. insurance & financial services, office work, professional licenses needed. i'm guessing everyone is rich nearby and doesn;t need a job anymore?!?!?!?! i've never seen anything like the times we are in and i've owned my business for 15+ years now.

I was really annoyed to see Weber prices doubled in 2 years,
Costs for raw materials, transportation, and tariffs have most definitely risen and affected retail pricing and/or profits but I'm not aware that Weber has increased their prices by 2X. Our economy is cyclical and we're in the midst of a downturn, currently.

and the list goes on and on: https://insightglobal.com/blog/corporate-layoffs-hiring-freezes-2022-recession/

weird thing is, i have an ad for a spot we need to onboard and cannot get resumes or people to apply. insurance & financial services, office work, professional licenses needed. i'm guessing everyone is rich nearby and doesn;t need a job anymore?!?!?!?! i've never seen anything like the times we are in and i've owned my business for 15+ years now.
Brett, I manage an insurance agency and I have the hardest time finding licensed people to work. I have been here for almost twelve years and like you, have never seen anything like it is today. We are located just North of Houston so you would think there would be plenty of folks in the job pool. We do get qualified(licensed) applicants, but only about 20% of them will respond to my calls or texts. I am fairly certain many applicants are receiving unemployment and just applying to keep the unemployment checks coming. I wish that unemployment would have a hotline where we could notify them of qualified applicants that have applied then not responded.

We're paying 2-3x for commodity steel and aluminum, 10x for electronic components that are in demand. Lead times can be 3-6 months for simple commodity parts.

I was really annoyed to see Weber prices doubled in 2 years, but it's a tough time for manufacturing with labor and materials costs increasing at rates not seen in 40 years, plus a global supply chain wrecked by plague.

I grew up during the 60’s and 70’s and what I read in the news and see with my own eyes these days has a certain familiarity to it.

Today we have the 800 lb. gorilla in the room that is global warming.

Real or not, there is going to be mountains of gold spent and made on this issue in the next 20 years, based on what I am reading.

Brett, I manage an insurance agency and I have the hardest time finding licensed people to work. I have been here for almost twelve years and like you, have never seen anything like it is today. We are located just North of Houston so you would think there would be plenty of folks in the job pool. We do get qualified(licensed) applicants, but only about 20% of them will respond to my calls or texts. I am fairly certain many applicants are receiving unemployment and just applying to keep the unemployment checks coming. I wish that unemployment would have a hotline where we could notify them of qualified applicants that have applied then not responded.
same exact experience here. get a qualified resume, contact them, contact them again, and again, and it's like they're a ghost. we're busier than ever and pay a decent wage and it's an uncapped earnings position. hopefully something changes soon and quickly. i can only run this pace for so long. don't people want stability, earnings and a career these days?

don't people want stability, earnings and a career these days?
Since working from home became a reality, it seems to me that people are now reluctant to surrender that newly found freedom and independence to go back to that same old 9 to 5 grind. Evidently workers have found other ways of remaining solvent...maybe flipping grills and golf carts and gig employment like Uber driving is enough to keep the bills paid for some. Who can blame them? We'll have to wait and see what happens when things get tough down the road.

I missed about three weeks work in March/April 2020 due to our NYC job sites being on Covid shut down.

Things ramped up slowly but we have been working 6 day weeks almost continuously since.

My next door neighbor started working from home around the same time, and still hasn’t gone full week back to the office.

I thank my lucky stars every day.

How soon before “working from home” becomes “working from somewhere on the other side of the world”?

Glad I have no horse in this race! I have plenty of grills, no interest in buying a new one, especially considering the track record of the units made of chinesium. All mine are good old Illinois production!
Will the legacy grills become the equivalent of the 1950s American cars in Cuba?

Same here, definitely not in the market for a new grill.

Back